baby won't take a bottle... aaauuuggghhhh!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've been trying to get T to take a bottle almost the whole time I've been home on leave. She took one when she was a week old. But since then, she REFUSES to drink from a bottle! I went back to work yesterday, so we hoped that if she absolutely couldn't have boob, she'd give in and finally take a bottle, but my poor girl only ate 3oz total yesterday, from her 5am feeding, till I got home at 5:30pm. And most of that DH had to feed her with a syringe!

We've tried several different bottles, NUK, Ventaire, Breastflow, Evenflo, etc. I ordered another type, a Mimijumi. And I think we have a Dr. Brown's that we haven't tried yet. But OMG, I need her to eat more than that! I almost cried yesterday when he told me she only ate 3oz. She ate from me every hour all evening, then slept for 8 hours straight! I had to wake her up to eat before I left this morning, I was NOT going to leave and let her wake up starving!

Please cross your fingers that she stops being so darn stubborn soon and starts eating more! I want her to be a happy baby for DH during the day, he's also got to chase after our 2 year old.

April 2nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
We JUST went through this. Bax has been taking bottles since he was a week old and early on when he was having weight gain issues he was taking a bottle of supplemental EBM after every nursing session. He started with Born Free bottles and also Dr. Browns. He did great with both. We also had a random Avent one he took ok too. He refused the Tommee Tippee and the medela ones that came with my pump.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, we have been done supplementing for a long time now so he is mostly breastfeeding with the exception of a bottle that DH gives him right before bed. But he barely drinks from his bottles anymore. We tried different bottles and different times of day. We tried the other ones that he refused early. Still no luck. Then one of my friends from elsewhere on JM said that as her son got older his bottle preferences changed. He was EBF but then she went back to work and he went to daycare. He wasn't taking bottles well so daycare tried one of theirs. They told her when they have trouble with a baby taking a bottle they try their kind. Well for him it worked like a charm. So I figured we would try. I ordered one last week and it arrived in 2 days thanks to Amazon Prime.

First time DH gave him this bottle he ate 2 bottles of 4 oz each!!!! DH said he has never taken any of his bottles that well. Yesterday I was ill so DH stayed home to help so he got more bottles than normal. He took them all like a champ!

The bottle is the mOmma by Lansinoh. I have to admit, after seeing the nipple, I see why it works. It's the closest thing I have seen to the real thing yet. Which is funny, I was telling DH just last week I thought it was odd that nobody had made one like a real nipple. Well, this one is.

Can't guarantee this will solve the issue but it worked for us!

Good luck!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I set up my pump gear and got bottles at our local "natural parenting" shop, the owner told me that if she had trouble (I just got the medela ones that fit on the pump) to try these:

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...uralfeelbottle

She said that everyone she's known who has a problem with babies taking a bottle succeeds with these. Pricey though. But I suppose if it works.

Good luck!
April 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
My second baby refused a bottle... Screamed until she passed out, but wouldn't take one at all. If I absolutely had to leave e her, she was cup fed. Bottles would have been way easier, but at least she was getting fed. Hope you find a solution!

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
April 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
I actually ordered a como tomo today, and the mOmma is on my list to try.

She took 4oz today. I suppose that's better than yesterday. And 3 oz was from a bottle "sort of"

April 3rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
Ugh. My oldest refused bottles. It was awful. We tried so many different bottles. I feel you're pain. I dont have any good advice to give, sadly. I was at home with Anna while I nursed and ended up having to stop nursing for unrelated reasons before I went back to work when she was four months old. Weaning her was tough, too. Eventually she got hungry enough that she gave in.

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. Going back to work is hard enough without added issues!
Hopefully the new bottles will work for you. Keep us posted!
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

April 5th, 2013, 07:14 AM
No real progress yet. She had her 2 month appt on Wednesday, so I got to see her and nurse her and not worry about her starving. The pedi said a couple of her kids were the same way, and as long as she is making up for it by eating more at night and still having wet and poopy diapers, and still gaining weight at an acceptable rate, there's just not much to be done. We'll check her weight gain again at 4 months unless we have concerns and feel we should bring her in before then.

Thursday she took 3.5 ounces, DH said she liked the Mimijumi bottle a little better than others, but still doesn't LIKE it. The ComoTomo came yesterday, so he should get to try it today.

The last couple nights she's woken earlier in the night to eat, but it's hard to say if it's because she's hungry or if it's from her vaccinations, so we'll see how that goes. I kinda don't mind, because I can feed her at 3or4am then do at least a mini dream-feed before I leave for work.

This worrying about her getting enough to eat thing is just so new to me, DS ate tons, and from anything that got milk to his mouth. We were joking that our kids are just such polar opposites!

April 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DD2 was the exact same way and she NEVER ended up taking a bottle. She did reverse cycling instead. She nursed from the moment I got home from work until I left in the morning every 2 hours. Co-sleeping was a life saver. It's just like a baby STTN and not eating for the 12 hours, but only taking that 12 hours during the day instead.

The stinky part is I was told by a lactation consultant to continue pumping during the day, even though it wasn't being used, to make sure my milk supply stayed high since you naturally produce less milk in the evenings.

April 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only tried once and she wouldn't take it. I don't have a good pump and can't afford one so I just don't pump. .

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

April 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have a zillion oz of milk in the freezer if she doesn't start eating more. I produce pretty well and respond to the pump well also, so it's adding up fast.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search