Dog possibly being put to sleep

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH is taking our elderly dog to the vet today. She has been having issues with her backend for about a year now on and off. Arthritis meds make her sick where she can't eat, she has lost considerable weight and is now having more bad days than good. We are pretty sure they are going to end up putting her to sleep as she cannot walk and is in horrible pain.

My question is what do we tell Addy? She is very curious and I know she will ask question after question until Aleu's death, where Aleu is and how she got there makes since to her.

I don't want to tell her we are having her put to sleep as I don't want her afraid of the doctor/vet, but I don't want to lie to her either.

Thoughts?

April 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is really hard. I am so sorry for you guys. I think this is actually a good opportunity to teach her about live and death in a gentle way that helps her see that while it's ok to be sad about it, that your dog is in a better place. Maybe you could do an activity like making a frame for a picture of the dog to keep or drawing memories of your dog to hang up on the fridge and while doing that kind of activity you can talk about what happened and talk freely while doing an activity.

Just an idea. That is so difficult, I really feel for you guys. Sending good thoughts your way!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
We had to put our old kitty, Sox, down just this September. My 5 yr old DD wasn't overly attached to him, since he was already kinda old when she was born. But she did want to know what happened. So we simply told her that Sox was going to a doctor for pets because he was really sick and really sad. The doctor was going to give Sox some medicine and he would go to a very special place (heaven) with lots of other pets and when he got there he wasn't going to hurt anymore and he would be very happy. We also explained that we wouldn't be able to visit him, but that we could look at his pictures and see him. She accepted this just fine. And now when we pass the vets office she says, "There's the doctor that helped Sox get to heaven!"

I'm sorry you are losing your dog

April 2nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I wish I had some advice for you... And I'm very sorry for your loss. We had to put our Max down on Saturday, so I know the hurt you have right now and just wanted to send you some virtual hugs. xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 3rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
Aww. This is hard. A few years ago my DH accidentally ran over our dog in front of the kids. It was awful and they still bring it up on a regular basis...

Anyhow, we made a scrapbook of the dog together and they've written about it. I can't say it's easy. In your case, I would talk about how Aleu is hurting and sick and went to a place where he? won't hurt anymore. Encourage her to draw pictures or look at photos and talk about it whenever she wants to. There's no fast cure. Wish there was...

Karin, so sorry to hear about Max. Hope you are doing okay.
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search