Bumgenius 4.0 vs Freetime?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Any bumgenius users out there?

We are just starting to enter the world of CD. I knew we would try it out once he got a bit older, and I think we're ready to start. I know there are a ton of types of CD, and I have researched all of them since before he was born, and decided we are going to start with bumgenius, at least for now. I always thought I would start with the 4.0 pockets, but now they have basically an AIO version called the Freetime.

Has anyone used both? Or, comments on either?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Last edited by kbpeanut; April 4th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
April 4th, 2013, 10:38 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the bumgenius 4.0s and LOVE them. Bumgenius is a little pricey but they are far superior diapers (in my opinion) to the Alva cloth diapers we use. The pockets are super easy to use and clean. We have been using the same 18 diapers since DS1 was born (22 months ago) and we have had no leaks and they are still in great condition.
We bought the Alvas when DS2 was born to add to our supply thinking that there would be no difference in quality and boy was I wrong. They get the job done but arent nearly as nice as BG and they leak a lot

Regardless of whether you choose the 4.0s or the Freestyles I think you will really like Bumgenius

April 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I've got bg4.0 and a few other pocket brands. I haven't tried the freestyle, but I did have a few nb bg aio. Bg is a great brands! I think it's really just preference and price. I can't afford a full stash of freestyle.

April 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I heard the BG Freestyles are a little hard to spray poop off of once the baby starts solids and it gets on both overlapping pieces, but have not personally used them. I hate stuffing so am transitioning to all in one diapers myself right now. I just got 24 Thirsties AIO and LOVE them. I have only used BG 3.0's and found them to be really wide in the crotch. I honestly didn't like them very well. I would go with the 4.0's over the Freestyles though just because I think the way the 2 sewn in inserts on the Freestyles would be uncomfortable.

April 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Lurking:
Freetimes are bulky(on the lower rise settings) because of the attached overlapping soaker, they arnt supposed to take as long to dry but try take forever. There fit is a little off on some kids like my dd ( tall and skinny).

4.0s- dry nice a quickly because they are a pocket, you can customize the absorbency to what you need and there not as bulky as the freetimes. They get cleaner because o the pocket aspect unlike the freetimes.

IMO: a 4.0 is the way to go. I love them!!
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

April 4th, 2013, 08:30 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never tried a freetime, but I like our 4.0. And I love the elementals! They fit Taylor really well right now, nice and trim and suuuuper absorbant!

April 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Beware if you go with Elementals. They are organic cotton and they tend to get holes really easy. I had 24 of them and after 1 year of use about 1/2 had tiny holes around the legs and where they were stitched.

April 5th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts ladies! I think for now we are going to start with the BG 4.0s. I know DH likes the idea of an AIO but when I showed him the freetime, he didn't really like the flaps. He loved the idea that you can customize the 4.0 with different types and number of inserts. Anyway, we are just trying it out to see how we like CD in general so I'm not making a huge investment in a stash of them now so we will just get a few and try them out! Thanks again for all the great advice!

April 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbaby View Post
Beware if you go with Elementals. They are organic cotton and they tend to get holes really easy. I had 24 of them and after 1 year of use about 1/2 had tiny holes around the legs and where they were stitched.
Yeah, I've heard they can get some wear, but ours haven't in the 1.5 years we've had them, but I'm sure they will at some point. Shouldn't affect the function at all though, so I'm not super concerned.

Karin, pockets are great, that's mostly what we have, a variety of brands. If you think you might also be interested in the all in ones, go ahead and get one of those also. I think I've tried a bit of most kinds of systems other than flats. It really helps to figure out what works best for you and your kiddo.

April 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joellejello View Post
It really helps to figure out what works best for you and your kiddo.
Ya, I think we're going to try a variety - I like the "idea" of a hybrid/AI2, but I have a strong feeling I won't like using them for some reason. DH and I both like the idea of pockets the best, but he also thinks AIO are worth trying...just maybe not the BG ones. We shall see!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search