How bad is this? (Sleep time )

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By topato

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Expecting #1
I used to nurse Ember to sleep, she is a comfort nurser BIG time so much that she doesn't really ever nurse for food so I always give a bottle after nursing. I've been working on nursing still, so I'm trying to avoid a lot of prolonged comfort nursing. So for nap time and bedtime we have been putting Ember down drowsy and then giving her a bunny lovey and putting on the baby development channel or Disney Junior. Ember watches for a bit and puts herself to sleep.

How bad is it that we use the TV to help get her to sleep? It works so well, especially for naptime which used to be pretty hard to get her down.

How is everyone getting their LOs to sleep?

April 14th, 2013, 03:17 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think that's bad as long as it comforts her. I one time played the same Rage Against the Machine song over and over to get Vivi to calm down and pass out. At night she normally just goes down after her last feed (we also do about a half ounce more, a "special" bottle as we call it to get her nice and milk drunk). Sometimes she just wants to be held more. What we're trying to work on is to get her to nap in a crib or play pen because I'm guilty of letting her nap in my arms or putting her in a swing. For some reason she can sleep at night with no motion, but not during the day. I know there are worse problems to have, but that's it so far.

Also, Vivienne watches everything from Real Housewives to Sports Center. I think you're doing pretty dang good putting on children's shows for her lol

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 14th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Host of March '10 PR
For naps, when Lucy starts seeming tired, I swaddle her, give her the Binky, and put her in the swing. She falls asleep easily.
At night, getting her down into the bassinet is trickier. She has to be asleep already. So we usually end up holding her for a while, then transferring her to the swing where she'll get into a nice deep sleep. Then I move her to the bassinet.
I realize we need to really start working on not needing the swing at night. Gotta figure out how to get her to fall asleep on her own in the bassinet. I want to move her to her own room soon, but we need to get off this swing business first. :/
April 15th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After Julius has his bottle and playtime in the morning, I plop him in his swing and turn on the tv so I can eat breakfast and do a little house work. The only movies I have in English are the Little Mermaid and Wizard of Oz, but they work and he enjoys it and usually falls asleep.

April 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
During day naps, he usually needs motion, like the bouncy seat, to go to sleep, or be in my lap or arms. Nighttime we keep everything quiet, I nurse, then let DH take over and give him a bottle if needed or just hold him until he is deeply sleeping. In the day we can put him down drowsy but at night he needs to be really asleep first. He sleeps nights in his crib but won't nap there for more than 10 min!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
I love all these comments about baby falling asleep to tv. If I feed Evan in the living room, he'd rather watch the tv than take the bottle. He's amazed by it. I then have to turn him around. No tv till you eat! Lol.

April 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
For naps he either falls asleep while eating a bottle and then I lay him in his crib or when he starts acting sleepy and gets fussy I lay him down with his paci. He sleeps on his belly for naps. He LOVES it and sleeps way longer! Our house is super small so I can pop in every 15 min or so to check on him.

For bed time he gets about to pass out about 7:30-8:30. I bathe him or just lotion him up and get him changed then feed him. He either falls asleep while eating or he eats and sits in his bouncy seat until he falls asleep. Sometimes I'll put him in his crib drowsy but for some reason if he's going to sleep on his back he wiggles too much and his paci keeps falling out so then I have to keep going in there lol
April 15th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Confession time.

My sitter wears Peyton in the Baby K'Tan during all her naps. I nurse her to sleep in bed because we co-sleep at home.

Peyton has never slept alone. She has never put herself to sleep, slept in a bassinet, or in a crib.

This is one of the areas I really need to work on, but my thought is she is my very last baby and it's not like we will co-sleep forever.

April 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lincoln needs help falling asleep almost every time. Sometimes early in the day he will drift off in his swing and have a good nap, but it's like the tireder he gets, the harder it is for him to fall asleep, so by the end of the day I almost always have to snuggle him really tight to my chest and put a blanket up near his cheek, paci in his mouth, and bounce and rock and he will usually conk out right away.

I haven't let him watch any tv yet but it's making me a little jealous hearing how well it works for some of you guys lol. We didn't let our first son watch until he was past 2, and my daughter was probably around 15 months or so.

We're on the go SO much that I can't really seem to get him settled into a schedule anyway so I just do whatever I need to for each nap and it's working for us at the moment. Now that his tummy issues seem to be improving, he's really a pretty happy baby. He's not super easy and he wants to be held or entertained most of the time, but like today I was able to exercise for 45 minutes and he laid in his pack 'n play next to me and cooed at the designs on the blanket he was lying on. That was definitely a huge win, lol.

April 15th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Super Mommy
harvey will calm himself immediately (even if he is otherwise inconsolable) if i put on some foxy shazam. they're a great band, but honestly, they're not exactly baby appropriate. they sound like a modern day version of queen, but all their albums have the parental advisory label on em. here's one of their videos if you are curious.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFt3OqmGSbI

but the tears stop the second he hears the music start, and sometimes CRIES BETWEEN SONGS. ...i honestly think he likes them so much bc i bought their newest album while i was pregnant and i played it all the time.

he seems to really like loud rock music, but theres something about this band, specifically that is baby magic. totally bizarre, right?

so, that's my confession, lol
d_tops likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 04:37 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I feel bad about the TV. My husband and I don't watch much, but the other day we were watching a show and giving her a bottle. She kept trying like crazy to look at the TV, and then I finally let her. She stared at it for about 10 minutes, in a daze. Also, she likes to crane her neck to see it when I walk her through a room with it on. I feel bad, but I realize TVs are an unavoidable reality.

She also loves to sit on my lap while I'm on the computer, she's fascinated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search