Taking care of baby when you're sick

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 02:38 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I'm a little freaked out right now. I'm pretty sure I have strep throat right now. I'll be calling the dr as soon as they open. But I still have to take care of my little guy. And I am freaking out that if this is strep I've now exposed him.

What do you do with your little one when you're the one thats sick? Do you limit your time with them? I feel like a horrible mom for exposing him to anything. Poor guy just got over his first cold. And I can't give him kisses!

April 18th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been sick yet, but one of my close friends just had Rota and her 4 month old daughter didn't get it, she was really careful with washing hands no kissing keeping babies face away from hers. So it can be done, I hope you feel better soon! Strep is no fun.
April 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I only had a mild tummy bug one day, and I just tried to keep from breathing on him and touching him or his hands too much. Turned out it was food related and DH ended up staying home to care for both of us that day so I didn't have to think about it too much. Maybe get a mask to wear around him too ?

Hope you are on the mend soon!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I would recommend wearing a mask. They sell the surgical masks at pharmacys and even Walmart prob carries them. At least when you are caring for him you are not breathing on him and your germs (whether it's strep or not) will not be spread around your home where he breathes in. When my DS got the flu we did this, he wore the mask and Sophia only got a stuffy nose and a slight cough. Hope you feel better soon!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
April 18th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
P.S. I hope you make it to the doctors, I know there is some crazy weather coming your way, I've seen all the flood pics from back home on the Chicago side of Lake Michigan.
April 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well to ease your worries just a little, my older son just had strep and while we were at the pedi the Dr told me that it is very very rare for babies to get strep, so I wouldn't worry to much. But whenever anyone in the house is sick, just wash and wash and wash your hands. Wash your hands right before you touch him and like others said, avoid touching his hands too much, or anything he puts in his mouth really. Once the baby hits 3 months, I wouldn't go too crazy anyway. Getting little colds now isn't too bad, if you shelter him from everything, his immune system will suffer when he is older.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
April 19th, 2013, 10:42 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
The good news is that it isn't strep. The bad news is that poor max came home from daycare all stuffed up and cranky. Whatever this is we must have been exposed the same time. Poor baby had only been healthy for a few days. So today is my day off so we're both napping the day away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSmiles View Post
Once the baby hits 3 months, I wouldn't go too crazy anyway. Getting little colds now isn't too bad, if you shelter him from everything, his immune system will suffer when he is older.
He's a daycare baby, so hes not being sheltered from anything! The ped said to expect around 10 colds in the first year being at daycare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sue8 View Post
P.S. I hope you make it to the doctors, I know there is some crazy weather coming your way, I've seen all the flood pics from back home on the Chicago side of Lake Michigan.
It's really bad here!! Random roads shut down and the river is about to crests at 24 feet with only 20 ft flood walls. We're up on a hill about 1.5 miles from the river, so we're ok.

Dh got sent home from work because they had no water or sewer. The city is asking people to not shower or flush toilets!

April 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Expecting #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post

It's really bad here!! Random roads shut down and the river is about to crests at 24 feet with only 20 ft flood walls. We're up on a hill about 1.5 miles from the river, so we're ok.

Dh got sent home from work because they had no water or sewer. The city is asking people to not shower or flush toilets!
Its crazy what I am seeing from family back in Chicago! Staff safe and dry. Hopefully you and Max both feel better soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search