Sound like a growth spurt?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Nugget0612's Avatar First time Mommy
Hi ladies! I've been lurking a lot lately but have a question of my own now. Annabella is 3 months old today and has been an excellent sleeper...she would sleep from 8-10pm until 7-8am for the past week and a half I'd say. Before that she would wake up once during the night to eat usually around 4am. Well on Tuesday I started her on 5oz of formula during the day before that she was getting 4oz and then just 5oz at her last bottle for the night. Well I noticed she was gulping the 4 oz down and still acting hungry plus would eat every 2.5 hrs instead of her normal 3. She has been doing great on the 5oz and she gets that all the time including her last bottle for night. However past 2 nights she's went back to her old way of waking up 3-4am to eat again. (I should say I formula feed too wasn't able to breastfeeding like I wanted due to her being a preemie) I don't get why she is doing this. Also past couple days she has been sleeping a lot more during the day and is wanting to eat every 3.5-4 hours during day instead of her normal 3. Could this be a growth spurt? Only reason I'm confused is because I thought if she was having one she would want to eat more frequent during the day not less but then again she is sleepin Through it which could mean she is growing and the waking up at night is because she is so hungry due to growing? I also am taking into consideration I bumped her up an ounce 2 days ago. Maybe I should bump her to 6oz at bottle before bed?? Like I did when she had 4oz during day and 5oz at bedtime bottle? What do u ladies think? She's my first so it's all a learning experience for me. I just hate this sleep regression bc it takes me so long to fall back asleep and I don't want to be sleep deprived again. I'm hoping its temporary and I read a growth spurt does occur around 3m. Anyone going through anything similar?
April 19th, 2013, 07:56 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, to get her to sleep through the night again, on her last bottle you can up it another ounce like you suggested, or you can also power feed for the last few hours before bed, like decrease the amount of time between bottles so try like 4, 6, 8, then bed time. Or also, at 4 when she wakes, try giving her a binky and turning on some low lullaby music and she might self soothe herself back to sleep for a few more hours til it is actually time to wake up.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
April 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Power feeding in the evening almost always works for us.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran
Quinn has been sleeping from 10pm-8am since she was 4 weeks old. We let her give us a feeding schedule, we don't pay much attention to giving her a set amount of ounces, there have been feeds when she wants as many as 8oz. Our Pediatrician told us to feed her on her demand like this and she sleeps, well, like a baby. So I say go for it, give her whatever she wants to take. Oh, and Quinn is in the 50% as far as weight, so don't think I'm over feeding a chunky little baby!

April 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Expecting #1
Ember had been sleeping 9pm-8Am until about a week ago when she started waking up at 4AM. I read a bunch about it and it seems like around this age, babies are going through so many milestone and changing the way they sleep, they no longer go right into deep sleep, instead its REM and then a deep sleep like we sleep, which can cause the sleep regression. If that is what you are going through, you just wait it out. I did a lot of research and now am trying to help soothe her back to sleep before getting her fully up when she gets up at 4Am, but once she cries I get her up and feed her. Offering the paci and putting on some lullaby music for a few minutes has been working like a charm and then she is back to sleep until 8.

April 19th, 2013, 11:38 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no suggestions as I am up 3-4 times a night with dexter still. But good luck! I do think waking up once a night at this age is normal. My pedi said around 6 months is when you can stop offering nighttime feedings. Maybe she is just hungry or wants a cuddle?

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
April 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds very much like a growth spurt to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search