Let's talk solids

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
When do you plan to start?

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else?

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it?

I will probably see if Marshall is ready about 5- 5 1/2mths. If he doesn't act like he is then will try again at 6mths. More then likely we'll do jarred baby food and I would like to make some of my own. I may read up on Baby Led Weaning but not sure I'll do it.

I will probably skip Cereal. The whole arsenic (sp?) think freaks me out.
April 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
When do you plan to start? Probably about 6 months, if not a bit later.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? We will use principles of BLW for sure and make our own foods as well. We will start with purees as we gauge our and his interest in BLW. We will use pouched organic foods for on the go times.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? Pass unless necessary.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Expecting #1
I'm glad you posted this, I'd like to see what other people's thoughts are on this. I plan to make Ember's food and am just starting to research what I will need to buy to make and store the food. So I will love to hear what others use to make and store baby purees.

When do you plan to start? Around 6 months most likely

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I plan to make Ember's food, but may buy some of the organic packets too.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? We are going to start on purees so we will pass on the cereal.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
When do you plan to start? It's been 7 years since my last baby so I figured I will start when my pedi suggested but not too sure.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I want to make my own but with 2 school aged kids I am not sure if that will work all the time.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? hmm, wll my other 2 kids started cereal around 4 months but since having my DS I have heard conflicting stories so not too sure.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
April 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started cereal early bc he was already getting it in his formula due to his dyspahsia.

He loves the texture of it when its on the spoon.

Generally we started 4-6 months.

Edited bc it looked like I was adding cereal to his bottle for no reason.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; April 22nd, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When do you plan to start? When he shows signs of readiness

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? Baby-led weaning

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? Pass - no nutritional value

April 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When do you plan to start? 5-6 months most likely

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I plan on making our own, though baby led weaning is really interesting to me. I really hope not to use the jarred stuff, but if it comes to it we'll use organic.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? We were thinking of starting it soon, but hearing mixed reviews. Would really like more info on it.

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

April 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I plan to start around 6 months.

Daycare was just pushing us to start rice cereal due to her wanting to eat every 2.5 hours and seeming unsatified with 5 ounces of breastmilk. She does fine on 5 ounces at home, and it's normal for them to eat that much. I think she acts still hungry because we just switched her to faster nipples, and she knows she gets held at daycare while eating. I plan to talk to daycare again today, as they first said something Friday. I did a lot of research over the weekend and I will NOT be doing cereal in the bottle for any reason. I've read almost nothing but negative things, and most pedi's discourage it.

I want to make my own baby food, but have some more research. I'm sure I'll do jarred to supplement.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When do you plan to start?

When Vivienne is showing signs of wanting to eat (probably around 6 months). Things like watching us eat at the table, trying to grab for food, etc etc

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else?

I am going to do BLW. I've done a lot of research and I really love the sound of it. It makes mealtime sound like a lot more fun and relaxed because that is really all it is at the beginning. Baby is learning about different foods and how to feed his or herself and it's a little like playtime for a bit. I purchased the Baby Led Weaning Cookbook that dedicates the first few chapters to explaining the concept, what foods are appropriate at what ages/signs that they are ready to move up, meals that you can make for your family and adapt for baby, etc etc. The more I read the more sense it makes to me. I might also mix in some purees though that I will make (The Baby Bullet Blog has a lot of great easy recipes for purees). I think a bit of both.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? No to the cereal. She seems to fill up fine on milk. If we really needed to supplement with something else I would make my own cereal and use a healthier grain since the typical go-to stuff has no nutritional value.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 22nd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When do you plan to start? I want to start testing out solids at the start of the 5th month.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I would like to make baby food, and I also plan on buying organic jars when i'm on the go. I want to wean him off the bottle when I feel he's ready and give him milk in sippy cups, I know it says on the formula that by a certain age they shouldn't have a bottle anymore.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? I'm going to pass on the cereal
April 22nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
I plan to start around 6 months.

Daycare was just pushing us to start rice cereal due to her wanting to eat every 2.5 hours and seeming unsatified with 5 ounces of breastmilk. She does fine on 5 ounces at home, and it's normal for them to eat that much. I think she acts still hungry because we just switched her to faster nipples, and she knows she gets held at daycare while eating. I plan to talk to daycare again today, as they first said something Friday. I did a lot of research over the weekend and I will NOT be doing cereal in the bottle for any reason. I've read almost nothing but negative things, and most pedi's discourage it.

No daycare should ever suggest cereal in a babys bottle. That is dangerous if not recommanded by a pedi for swallowing/reflux or medical issues.
Sawyers_Mommy and mommysc2 like this.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; April 24th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
When do you plan to start? When he shows signs.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I would like to make it myself seeing how I'm SO good at making myself smoothies

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? He hasn't really shown any interest yet. His 4 month well child is mid May because the Dr. is on leave but if she gives me good reason to start cereal then we will.

April 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Host of March '10 PR
When do you plan to start? Probably around 6 months like I did with DD1. Lucy is already very interested in our food when she see's us eating but I haven't thought much yet about where I want to go from there.
Our pediatrician suggested rice cereal in her bottles bc she spits up TONS and has reflux. After much hesitation on my part, and after trying other remedies, I finally gave it a try and it helps her quite a bit with the spit up, so we've stuck with it.

I'll approach is similarly to what I did with DD1. Her first food was avocado. I made all my own baby food, but she was never too fond of being spoon-fed the puree's. I didn't stress, as my pedi told me "food before one is just for fun".
She didnt really start getting into food until I was able to give her big chunks of stuff to suck on/eat at her own pace. Will probably do something similar with Lucy, probably closer to 6 months and once she has a little better coordination to get things to her mouth. Although as I mentioned before, Lucy is already so interested in our food. DD1 never was at this age.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? Only in her bottles as needed for her spit up/reflux. I'm hoping as she gets older her issues will start to dwindle, and we can cut it out completely.
April 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, the cereal has helped a lot for Mikas reflux.

I edited my post to mention reflux/other medical issues.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
April 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We will start solids around 6 months. We will be doing pureed food and start with squash, sweet potato or another veggie. I will buy jarred baby food.

April 25th, 2013, 08:27 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When do you plan to start? around 6 months, but go by her cues. DS started at 5.5 months because he seemed to want to eat more.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? I'll make her first foods (purees), then do a mix of homemade, jarred, and BLW based on what she seems to like and the time I have available. Making your own is super easy, cook the food, stick it in the food processer, then put into ice cube trays to freeze, pop out and store in ziplocks.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? Pass mostly. I'll probably get a box of oatmeal baby cereal to have on hand to thicken up purees and such, but won't introduce it until later.

Overall I like to be pretty laid back about it.

April 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Dee
When do you plan to start? I'm ready to go, like, now because the ingredients on his formula have me all worked up. But I'll wait until he can hold himself sitting up a little more steadily. That's what a pediatric GI doctor recommended. He has been watching us eat - intently - so I think he's interested.

Are you going to do jarred baby food, make your own, baby led weaning, or something else? Mostly make our own, but probably have some organic premade food around for those days when I inevitably run out.

Will you start with Cereal or pass on it? Pass. We're planning to skip all grains until 12 or 18 months.
April 30th, 2013, 10:33 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well, i was breast feeding up until 2 weeks ago, with the stress of my grandmother being sick/passing away Z because fussy and i was giving more and more formula. now he only takes the boob when he wants to go to sleep at night for comfort...and honestly i do not mind. we both seem happier.

anyway, i started trying stage one foods with my 5 year old when he was 3 months because he was following our spoons with his mouth open...well Z has been doing it too for a few weeks so I caved and have been letting him "try" different foods. He isn't 100% ready but he likes the different tastes so I am going through letting him have a few tiny bites evey few days of a different food...just making sure he isn't allergic to anything. (please no bashing, i know this is young...but i go by what my baby wants...not dates)

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

April 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post
well, i was breast feeding up until 2 weeks ago, with the stress of my grandmother being sick/passing away Z because fussy and i was giving more and more formula. now he only takes the boob when he wants to go to sleep at night for comfort...and honestly i do not mind. we both seem happier.

anyway, i started trying stage one foods with my 5 year old when he was 3 months because he was following our spoons with his mouth open...well Z has been doing it too for a few weeks so I caved and have been letting him "try" different foods. He isn't 100% ready but he likes the different tastes so I am going through letting him have a few tiny bites evey few days of a different food...just making sure he isn't allergic to anything. (please no bashing, i know this is young...but i go by what my baby wants...not dates)
Sophia has been following our spoon/fork as we eat too and and even makes the chewing motions with her mouth and then starts to smile...it's so cute!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
April 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post

No judgement!! I let Marshall naw on a banana the other day because he was staring at it. He tried to go to town on it but never did get anything off lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search