Third time mom more confused than ever.....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Briar08
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By LovelyMama
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Ok mommies! I need your advice here

First off, as many of you know I have 2 other kids besides Sophia. My DD1 is turning 15 in a few weeks and my DS is 7. There is an obvious gap between all my kids so everytime I have a baby I feel like a FTM all over again and to top it all off EVERYTHING is different or the opposite as far as what they tell you to do and do not do...it's so frustrating!

So, today was Sophia's well check-up. She is doing great! He said she is very alert and very well! Growing wonderfully nd developmentally right on track, of course she had 2 vaccines

I asked him about solids since a few threads on here came up and I also was interested in what he had to say. He tells me that I can start cereal at 4 months, he said only oatmeal and to stay away from rice cereal due to the traces of arsenic that has been present

He then said the next food was meat...and I was like , I said meat and he said yes because babies need the iron rich foods, and then next was veggies. I have a few friends that their drs have been telling them cereal now at 6 months and then veggies and fruit...meat last, so I am a little skeptical......NOW

with DD1 it was cereal at 4 months, fruit at 5 months and veggies at 6 months, and meat at 8 months. DS it was cereal at 4 months, veggies at 5 months and fruit at 6 months followed by meat......opposite!

Why is everything so different, my other 2 turned out fine so why is it the opposite!!!! I am so confused and don't know what to do!! I want to start her when she is supposed to and at my dr's recommendation but this just sounds weird to me! Now, don't get me wrong I love my pedi we have been there since DD1 was 3 years old and she is almost 15...he is a great dr and very well known in our area!!!!!

What would you all do??

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
April 24th, 2013, 02:39 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meat?! That's one I haven't heard before.

I am someone that does trust the professionals but the more I hear and the more I read, the more I truly believe that babies will eat when they are ready. Also food is more of a play/learning experience before they are a year old. They should still be getting most of their nutrients from their formula or bf so I would think that covers any iron difficiency issues.

I'm trying to approach solids as a chance for Vivi to learn about food and learn how to feed herself. I'm going to talk w my ped but I'm pretty set on doing a combo of purées and BLW and cereal if for some reason she needs it.

I think it's hard but looking for babies clues about what they need or desire seems to be the best way to go especially when introducing solids IMO. She's s getting most of what she needs from her milk anyway. Good luck mama

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know. My oldest is 18..and it was sure diiferent having him and having this one.

I would question the arsenic statement. Surely not ALL brands of rice ceral has been affected, and I would think recalls would have already occured.

There is always a risk when you use powdered anything, formula, cereal, thickener, bc you cant sterlize it.

So, oatmeal is just as risky overall as rice.
mommysc2 likes this.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
April 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I never gave DS1 the jarred meat foods because he hated them. Once he was about 10mths he got some meat from our plates.

I've always been told to start with Veggies first because Fruits are sweeter and once they taste the sweetness they might not want to eat the veggies. I didn't remember this when I started DS1 and we fed him fruits first. He wouldn't eat his veggies except sweet potatoes. I ended up mixing half veggies half fruit and he'd eat it that way.

Most everyone anymore says to start solids around 6mths. I've never heard of starting one at 5mths and the other at 6mths. I never have asked their Dr about when to start baby food, which to use first, ect. I do recall him telling me for DS1 I could start trying to feed him around 4.5mths if I wanted. I listen to their Dr. and the WIC office but in the end I do what I feel my kiddos are ready for and what we're comfortable with regardless of if it's within the 'guidlines'.

A couple that DH and I are friends with had a little boy 5 days before Marshall. We seen them about 2wks ago and he was already eating 8oz WITH added cereal every 3-4hrs Then a week after we seen them they said they started him on baby food as well!
mommysc2 likes this.
April 25th, 2013, 03:56 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kelsey makes great points, it really depends on the baby. My SIL started her baby on veggie purees around 4 1/2 months old, which seems early, but if you saw this baby you would know she was ready. She is so attentive watching that food and wanting to grab it herself and explore the taste. She's definitely ready to eat. She's just one of those kids that is ready for that next step. Vivi on the other hand is 3 1/2 months old and I'd be shocked if she was ready for solids before 6 months. She's just really content with her bottle, munching right along, sometimes wanting to hold it, sometimes not, and that's just who she is.

I think educating yourself about guidelines and suggestions is important, but don't be afraid to question anything that doesn't sound right to you. At the end of the day, Sophia is your child, you know her best, do what you feel is best for her. I forget who wrote this, but I think it's a good one, "food under one is just for fun!"
mommysc2 likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Is it just me or does anyone else get bothered by doctor suggestions about food? They are just so pushy. I'm not in a hurry yet, but when he's ready we will do veggie purees first and take it from there.
mommysc2 likes this.
April 25th, 2013, 07:57 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Thanks for your advice ladies!! I really appreciate it!! I think I will start Sophia more about 5 months or so.....or when I feel she is ready. Everything I read online is telling me 4-6 months depending on the baby. Not sure what I will start with but I will figure that out....will prob do what I did with my other kids. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Meat?! That's one I haven't heard before.

I am someone that does trust the professionals but the more I hear and the more I read, the more I truly believe that babies will eat when they are ready. Also food is more of a play/learning experience before they are a year old. They should still be getting most of their nutrients from their formula or bf so I would think that covers any iron difficiency issues.

I'm trying to approach solids as a chance for Vivi to learn about food and learn how to feed herself. I'm going to talk w my ped but I'm pretty set on doing a combo of purées and BLW and cereal if for some reason she needs it.

I think it's hard but looking for babies clues about what they need or desire seems to be the best way to go especially when introducing solids IMO. She's s getting most of what she needs from her milk anyway. Good luck mama
I was so thrown when he said meat too but if you read the beechnut meat jars it says starting at 4 months.....never knew that.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
April 26th, 2013, 07:06 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We always did meat last but never used any of the store bought meats...have y'all eve tasted those?! LOL

Also, I never listen to the drs about baby food/cereals. They go by the AAP and I just don't agree with them most of the time. Babies are all different and all ready for foods at different times. My oldest started earliest around six months, then the next one we waited closer to eight months and then we waited closer to one year because he just wasn't ready. Sarah Beth seems fine without it so far. No idea when we'll introduce her to baby foods.
mommysc2 likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A couple of things to keep in mind: Dr's are not nutritionists or dieticians. I have never listened to their advice regarding what and when I should feed my babies. Also, one of the reasons it's important to not feed them foods too early, is because when their guts aren't mature enough to handle it, proteins and things slip through and can cause allergies and other dietary issues. They may seem ready to eat, but I'd be slow and cautious with it.

We'll start with mashed up avocados and bananas around 6 months probably, and it won't be for nutrition, just for fun and learning. Although I cannot wait for mum mums!!
Briar08 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search