CD Mommies?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By d_tops
  • 1 Post By mistletoe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 05:24 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I just ordered a few prefolds and a couple other diapers/covers, as I try and figure out the best CD system for us. I'm sure it's going to be a combination of a few different styles and brands but right now I'm most interested in those who have prefold experience.

Do you have a preference in brand?
Do you like/use bleached, unbleached, organic, or a combo?
Do you prefer using a fastener like snappis or doing a trifold in a cover or pocket stuffer?
Do you typically use another soaker/liner in addition?

I started with some Indian unbleached prefolds, and a cover or two, in addition to the one I already have. I'm going to start by lining the covers with trifold prefolds and see where that takes us. So far, I love the AIO idea but not loving the pockets. I love the idea of fitteds and contours and prefolds. Fun, fun to learn!

Would love to hear experiences, if there are any!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Last edited by kbpeanut; April 25th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
April 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Hm, I never thought about doing prefolds. How do you like them?

We are doing Bumgenius. (I wrote about it here - Attention Cloth Diaper Skeptics I believe they are AIO and it's going great. I will still grab disposables if we are traveling.

I would be interested to know if anyone has a problem with how much space CD take up in the diaper bags. I usually on take two with me and then a few disposables. They are way more bulky than 'sposies.
April 26th, 2013, 04:05 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I used prefolds and pockets. I really do love the prefolds. It's economical and it's quick. For prefolds we use GMD unbleached, a snappie and a thirstie cover. I did just buy a couple of flips to try, but those haven't come in yet.

For ease of use I send the pockets to daycare and at home I do prefolds.

Eta - max is a heavy wetter and during daytime use we don't need any inserts. If I do use a prefold on him at night I do put a bamboo or hemp insert. I have a couple of nighttime diapers I use usually though.

Also, even after the initial 5 prep washes it takes a couple more for full absorbency. Just in case you were thinking it was leaking more than you thought it would.

Last edited by mal91011; April 26th, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
April 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also 2nd the GMD prefolds. They also have a fitted diaper called a workhorse that is made out of their prefolds that is awesome. The workhorse can have snaps and then you just put the cover over the top.

If you are going with an AIO, you seriously need to try the Thirsties brand. The way the AIO insert is sewn in allows you to stuff another insert in if needed, but doesn't have a pocket so it's super easy to do. Plus the way they are sewn together allows for fast drying which is generally most people's issue with AIOs.

April 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll tell you right now, I never got the hang of prefolds. I started out with some unbleached indian prefolds, no idea the brand, a couple snappis and a few different covers. I'm pretty sure I needed bigger prefolds for Sean, he ws 3.5-4 months when I started and already a tubby lil guy. So I gave up on trying to snappi those on him pretty quickly because the fit just wasn't right. I did really like my Thirsties cover, my FLIP covers and my Weegrow was pretty good, but I really dislike the Rumparooz cover. Again, i think it's because I make fat babies (tried it on T a couple days ago and still didn't like the fit). I have a couple Econobum that I got free with orders from cottonbabies that I like pretty well also. I REALLY like the Flips on T right now, I like the stay dry inserts better than the organic because I feel those get weird bulky when I fold down to her size.

My preference for T right now are BG Elementals, FLIPs, and I'm trying to get a bit of extra mileage from her NB pockets, but she's outgrowing the absorbancy on those, the NB inserts are just not big enough to be as absorbant as she needs. I'm experimenting with folding a second up to put in the back, it will probably buy us a couple more weeks of wear from those. A lot of her OS pockets just seem so big on her still, so I'm hoping as we graduate from the NB's that those start fitting a bit better. The BG OS are fitting pretty well though, I think I posted a pic earlier this week on FB with her in an orange BG 4.0.

Long story short, my original prefolds get used mostly as burp rags (gotta say, they are pretty great for that), and I have another set in a bigger size (way too big for T right now) that I'm hanging onto to see if I can get the hang of it when she's bigger, but I'm guessing I'll end up selling those eventually. And for full disclosure, we're still using some disposables overnight and here and there in the daytime to try to use up some that were leftover from DS.

April 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Expecting #1
So I was very interested in CDing at first and started researching when I was pregnant and there was SO MUCH info. Overwhelming. My daycare wont allow CDing, or at least when I first talked to them. So I stopped researching and I use sposies. I am going to CD for swim diapers though and actually ordered two today

I just want to say that reading the above sounds like you are speaking in another language.

April 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Thanks so much for the input ladies! I had typed out a response at 4am when I was up feeding but I must not have hit send! If I end up liking the prefolds I will def go with GMD. They are highly recommended by my local CD group and by many others. Glad to hear the sentiment is shared. I was placing another order with the online store I get most of my things from if I can't make it to our local place and needed a few more dollars for free shipping so I just got their prefolds. I have a Thirsties cover on the way and I will check out their AIO as well.

Julie, its totally overwhelming and I have been researching and reading since before I was even pregnant. I always knew I would CD some but just needed to wait until I had settled into mommyhood for a bit first. Even the ladies at my local CD store usually recommend waiting until babies can fit into sized or one size (anything but NB) CD before starting, especially for FTMs. It is def a language of its own. And just wait until I start talking wool!!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
April 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh, wool... I love wool, but hate trying to find non-snap-crotch shirts to go with it.
I love the GMD prefolds, too. Some of mine have diapered three babies now, and are still I love great shape. My unbleached Indian prefolds all got holes in them before I was even done diapering one kid!
Addressing the diaper bag thing... I put flats in my diaper bag. Look up something called the diaper bag fold; it's pretty trim and stays folded well, for speed in on the go changes (or at home. I fold them all when they come out of the dryer.).

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
April 29th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Dee
I was so overwhelmed by online info, I talked DH into taking a CLASS on learning how to use cloth diapers and pick the one that worked for us. (Not only did it help us choose, it finally convinced DH that cloth diapers were a good idea.)

We use TotsBots all-in-one one-size diapers. The "insert" is attached to the diaper, and you can stuff it or just fold it in. I heart them.
mistletoe likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 02:07 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^Tots Bots also have the absolute BEST patterns. We have a London scene one, and I think I won't be able to resist the Paris scene too. There's even a Jubilee pattern (for the Queens Jubilee!). They're made in Scotland at an eviently very green facility too.

Sorry, had to jump in there with that. We're waiting until we're back home from traveling before diving into the various cloth options. Her skinny legs needed some extra time to fatten up.
d_tops likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search