CPS takes away baby when mom gets second medical opinion.

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 2 Post By marybeth76
  • 3 Post By joellejello
  • 1 Post By LovelyMama
  • 1 Post By LovelyMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Have you all seen this?? Any thoughts?

Baby taken from parents after visiting hospital | Video | news10.netBaby taken from parents after visiting hospital | Video | news10.net
April 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just saw this and I think it's absolutely terrifying. I think we as parents have lost SO many rights and they just keep slipping away. It scares me and it's one reason I hate taking my kids to the doctor, especially as a parent who doesn't follow all of the mainstream guidelines. To me this story says that if you dare to question a doctor or someone else in authority, you run the risk of losing your child. We don't have the right to make our own decisions about our kids anymore. Terrifying.
Xtapolapocet likes this.

April 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
That is ridiculous. As marybeth said we are continuously losing all of our rights as parents. They need to leave this poor family alone and focus on the children that are being actually being abused. I feel so bad for that mother. Stories like this make me want the zombie apocolypse to happen. This country needs to start from scratch.

April 28th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's plain ridiculous!!!!! We as parents should have the right to parent and care for our children as we please. (We as in society) It would be a different story if we beat or neglect our children, but seems as if the slightest thing someone does their children get taken.

DH's cousin took her little girl to the hospital, I think back at the beginning of winter. She was very congested and having a hard time breathing because of it. It was taking them forever to get called back so her mom told them to not worry about it, she was taking her to the other hospital where wait time is always shorter. They told her that they couldn't let her do that and if she did they would call CPS !

April 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Its terrifying.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
April 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
DH's cousin took her little girl to the hospital, I think back at the beginning of winter. She was very congested and having a hard time breathing because of it. It was taking them forever to get called back so her mom told them to not worry about it, she was taking her to the other hospital where wait time is always shorter. They told her that they couldn't let her do that and if she did they would call CPS !
OMG...What happened???
April 29th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
IMHO....this is what happens when you allow the government to RUN things. It's to the point where this nation is turning into a Nanny State. Parents are losing the rights to rear their children with their own beliefs and guidelines. It's time we step up as parents and start getting these far left idiots out of office! They believe they know more than we do and what's best for us and OUR lives and OUR children, but yet they think they can handle their own and deserve their own rights...just won't allow us to have ours. This is a real problem right now in this country. To speak up is being discouraged for fear that someone will be 'offended'. Political correctness is killing us as a society and we're losing our freedoms each and every day. Our right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness has become our requirement to do as we're told and if we disagree? Then there are consequences to be endured for disagreeing. When I see stories like this it truly angers me! There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that woman seeking a second opinion for her baby!! The physician who checked the baby agreed there was no danger and the baby was fine. My advice to her??? SUE! Go after the local municipality, CPS and the hospital. Take them for every dime she can and keep this thrust into the public's face until they demand a change. And if she can push for prosecution for falsifying a report (on behalf of the hospital staff, etc.)....GO FOR IT! Stupid people and their nonsense cause more harm than good...UGH!!!

OH YEAH...this is a 'hot button' topic for me, I cannot stand people to mettle.
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree. I am really getting more and more worried over the state of this country. I am honestly a little terrified at what rights are going to be stripped away from us next.
Lil_Mama2B and Xtapolapocet like this.

April 29th, 2013, 07:45 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My heart breaks for those parents. What a living nightmare.

I do have to say though, from all the stories I have read, not once have we heard the side of the story of the hospital or the CPS. Not saying that what was done was correct, but it paints an incomplete picture at the moment. The one part of the story that did stick out to me is that they just left without filling out discharge papers. I wonder, and I have never worked in a hospital so maybe this is wrong, but I do wonder if by law they have to file a report with the CPA if parents leave with a minor since obviously he cannot discharge himself being under the age of 18. Again, not saying that the actions were just, but I do wonder about that part.

It saddens me that this happened to this family. It also saddens me, and this is more a statement about journalism in general, is that we so rarely hear when agencies like the CPS do any good. I personally know someone who was taken out of a particularly terrible home situation and the CPS and DYFUS gave her a voice when legally she couldn't do anything herself. She is an accomplished woman now and I think a large part of that is due to getting out of her home situation. I think we are quick to jump on the government when things go wrong. Unfortunately there are corrupt people everywhere and this sounds like it was one of those situations that went very very wrong. I hope that if the facts do show that the parents were in the right---and it sounds like they were and I don't blame them for seeking a second opinion---that the CPS does the right thing and takes blame and looks at their program internally to see how they can prevent incidents like this one from happening again.

I believe the parents have a hearing today. Hoping they get their baby back and this can end for them.

Last edited by MammaWannaBe; May 1st, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
May 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What I think is odd is that soooo many children have severly neglectful parents who constantly have CPS called on them, but those children are left with parents who obviously don't care, yet these caring parents who want the best medical care are being punished. It makes no sense to me.

May 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The more I read the more it sounds like there was a serious disconnect between the police and CPS about the situation. I hope that some good can come out of this because clearly there are some internal improvements that need to be made.

May 1st, 2013, 11:45 PM
The judge allowed the baby to transfer to a different hospital and released him to the parents (CPS claims unfounded). BUT - the parents had to agree not to take the child out of the hospital against doctors orders. Which still seems like an infringement on parent rights because now they will not be able to get a second opinion.
Xtapolapocet likes this.
May 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM
"I think that we clearly have a government agency, CPS, that does do important work, but they are operating in complete secrecy with absolute autonomy, absolute power," Donnelly

Here is the update link:
Assemblyman Tim Donnelly says CPS should be audited after handling of Nikolayev family case | news10.net
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search