Babies in the pool

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By Jules_loves_beaches

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 06:49 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Today was my first time ever bringing Joshy in the pool. I was so confused on what to buy/what not to buy that I ended up just getting a rash guard long sleeve shirt and a diaper cover and just holding him in the water. Do any of you recommend any of the floating devices to hold a baby as young as 3 months? I saw a bunch in BRU but they all say 9m and up...what do you use for a 3 month old or is it best to just hold them til they get older???

Also, should I go out and buy the swimming diapers? Are they useful? Today I just used a diaper cover over a regular diaper...the diaper didn't explode or anything, but it did get quite heavy.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
April 28th, 2013, 07:38 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm assuming they're all rated for 9 mos and up for safety reasons. I noticed that too this year. I mean you obviously have to stand there and hold them in the float when they are little ( as opposed to letting them float around on their own). With DS1 I found the float that worked best was a solid yellow round double ring float by Intex. I found it again this year at Academy Sports & Outdoor. The bottom part sits them down low enough in the water and the double ring seemed to keep him from flopping around. I bought a cutesy girly one too but I have a feeling ill end up with the Intex again.

Here's a picture...
Amazon.com: Intex My Baby Float: Toys & Games

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

April 28th, 2013, 07:45 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YES to swim diapers!!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

April 29th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The pool we go to only allows swim diapers and not the plastic covers that go over normal diapers. I bought a washable swim diaper from Iplay and a sun suit for when we go to the beach in the summer.

Swimwear - Swim & Sun - i play
April 29th, 2013, 05:29 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would do swim diapers. A lot of places make you use them. Also a suit, rash gaurd, just a diaper are all fine for the pool but sometimes rash guards are good because they add extra uv protection and they keep baby a bit warmer as they are sensitive to the cooler pool temps.

In terms of flotation devices, as a former lifeguard, I would say use little floats when they are tiny and when you are in the pool with them. Don't get the arm floaties. I've seen so many kids have a false sense of security while wearing them when they are older and getting themselves into trouble. It's so important to get your child comfortable with the water and learning to float and swim when they are younger. I'm going to start with Vivi in a few months. Sorry for the speech I just saw some crazy bad parenting/kids almost drowning because of flotation devices and a lack of proper swimming techniques.

You're making me excited to get her in the pool though I have this little pool ring that looks like a lady bug for the backyard that I've been dying to use!
A.Sue8 likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll do disposable swim diapers probably. I got Lincoln several long sleeve rash guards and swim trunk sets, and a few matching sun hats. We'll just hold him in the water for now. So far he doesn't approve, though, lol. I stuck his toes in the water a few days ago and he yanked them out like I'd put them in fire, LOL. And he cried like it hurt sooo bad. I guess the water was too cold for him.

April 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Expecting #1
I bought a swim float with a canopy to keep Ember in the shade. I bought cloth swim diapers because I read they were cheaper, less instance of diaper rash (especially when used at the beach with sand), and were better for dirty diapers. Ember will wear a swimsuit and have her cloth diaper on underneath.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Swim diapers are AMAZING!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use swim diapers and a long sleeve rash guard. Mika loves the pool.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search