postpartum thyroiditis

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 1 Post By joellejello

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I got some news today that I have an under active thyroid. I had my blood drawn last week because I have just been beyond fatigued. I know I have a relatively young baby and am working so of course I am going to be tired, but this has just been insane. I feel sluggish and lazy and it's just not a good feeling. Anyway my thyroid is definitely low so I am starting medication tomorrow and will be retested in two months. It could go away, but if it doesn't, it's just medication I have to take, not the end of the world.

I'm really just relieved to know there is a reason for all of this. What's interesting is that there are a lot of other symptoms that can point to an under active thyroid that I thought were just part of being post partum. Hair loss (which I have had TONS of), change in menstrual cycle, depression, fatigue, etc. Of course they might be just because of post partum, but they could be because of this thyroid issue.

I know this is so vain, but I'm sort of hoping that with the meds I will shed some more baby weight since an under active thyroid slows down your metabolism and all.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
April 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Geez..sorry to hear you have been going through this. I certainly hope the meds help and you get it regulated. Keep us posted.

April 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Sorry you have it but glad you got diagnosed so you can start meds.

I have been thinking of getting mine checked for over a month (runs in my family heavily as well) but I keep putting it off because I figure it's probably in my head and that I'm just looking for an easy fix to lose weight lol.
April 30th, 2013, 05:03 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you got it diagnosed early! After DS1 I wasnt diagnosed for 8 months, i really believed it was a main contributor to my PPD. Im still on thyroid meds and probably will be forever but most people who get it diagnosed early are able to get off the meds
MammaWannaBe likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad you're getting it taken care of! I kept meaning to get mine checked before I got pregnant. I was sooooo fatigued, and it was just this horrible bone-deep sort of tiredness, a complete lack of energy, like my legs didn't want to move and it was so hard to convince myself to get up and do things. My hair was falling out also. It seemed to go away while I was pregnant though and hasn't returned yet so I don't know what in the heck it was.

April 30th, 2013, 06:28 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for your input and support! I'm just glad that there is a reason and it is treatable. I was really feeling like I was just this lazy sloth and knowing that by taking one pill a day I will hopefully feel a TON better and so many little things that have been plaguing me could go away is amazing.

I've never been so excited to get a prescription lol!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
May 1st, 2013, 03:00 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh wow! I am sorry to hear this, I hope the medication helps you and you start to feel as good as new VERY soon!!!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 05:28 AM
Host of March '10 PR
I'm glad you took the initiative to get it checked. Keep us posted on how/if the meds seem to help your symptoms.
A friend of mine was dignosed with this after childbirth too. I've thought of getting mine checked as well- mainly for the vain reason of weightless. But, I'm a slacker.
May 1st, 2013, 06:21 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started Synthroid while I was preggo. I had hoped the same thing about losing weight!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

May 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Expecting #1
I'm sorry you have this, but I am glad you found out so early and can start taking the meds. Hopefully you will be fully energized, well as fully energized as a mom with an almost 4 month old

If the prescription speeds up your metabolism, I wonder if I can get a prescription. I would love to have a faster metabolism, but I think I would just be even more hungry all the time and gain weight so it probably wouldnt be a good idea for me

Keep us updated on how you are feeling though!

May 1st, 2013, 07:51 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Sorry about he diagnosis but glad it was identified. Here's hoping the Rx helps quickly and that it goes away on its own over time!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 1st, 2013, 02:12 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had thyroid issues during my pregnancy, the meds made SUCH a huge difference. I'm off them now, but I'll probably get retested at some point. I'm just such a procrastinator about making appointments...
MammaWannaBe likes this.

May 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ive been on thyroid meds since middle school. my levels are pretty terrible when i am unmedicated, but ive always been a thin person... its amazing how many different things your thyroid levels affect- definitely not just mood and metabolism. like, a few years ago i had breathing issues that were unexplainable, until a blood test showed that i needed to up my dose. and hair loss and nail issues are both common with unregulated levels.

some things you need to keep in mind- thyroid medication has to be taken in a specific way in order to work properly. it needs to be taken alone, on an empty stomach (2 hrs or more after a meal) and at least a half hour before you eat again. i notice that i sometimes put on an extra few pounds when i am lax about those rules, but once i pay attention again, they fall back off.

and, certain other medications (and vitamins! calcium, for example) interact with synthroid... either the synthroid will block the absorption of the other medication or vice versa. (another common medicine that interacts- antacids! ...thank god i didnt have heartburn during pregnancy, lol)

its more of a pain in the *** than just taking a pill every day, honestly, but it will make you feel sooooooooo much better. it will make a definite difference after a few weeks, and you'll see.... this is one diagnosis that you will celebrate, trust me. your hair will improve, you'll sleep better... your mood will improve, you will lose weight easier and have more energy... yay! good luck. <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search