¸.•♥•.¸¸.•♥• Uniquely You •♥•.¸¸.•♥•.¸

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 4 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 5 Post By swaddlestar
  • 5 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 4 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 4 Post By A.Sue8
  • 2 Post By MIL2lissy8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 01:42 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Uniquely You

In the spirit of the post created by MammaWannaBe, I feel we should celebrate what makes us unique in comparison to every other human being in existence.

So...what makes YOU special? Is there a specific skill you possess? Do you do a lot of unrecognized charity work? What are some of those hidden skills/talents/contributions that set you apart from others (these are not physical attributes)? What have you done or are you currently doing that stands out from the crowd? So tell us what makes you Uniquely You!
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 04:20 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ooo I love this idea and I love celebrating us!

Besides the obvious, being a mom which is an indescribable feeling, I do have a lot of passions that make me unique I think. I actually was a Nationally Recognized Speech & Debater in college, won New England Regionals in a few categories and placed 5th in the Nation at finals. It's kind of nerdy and really a "sport" for those who like to talk, but I loved it and I think it taught me a lot about how to present myself and speak in front of an audience. I love public speaking, which I know a lot of people fear. I am hoping to get back involved and help coach a nearby high school team when Vivi is older.

The other thing I LOVE is history and I have a fascination with history especially WWII. I actually thought about going to grad school to become a professor. I think with my combo of theatrics and passion that I could make history interesting for kids. I think it's so important to understand how we got to the point we are now and especially to understand other cultures and countries. I think a lot of our issues now stem from bad policy and ignorance to other countries, which is why so many people have a disdain for America.

Oh, random note, I'm also an Alto (loud and proud!) and am in choir. It's the one activity I have gotten back involved with after baby. In fact this whole post is reminding me that I have a lot of passions that make me unique and most importantly happy and I should really get back involved with them. This has been sort of theraputic (sorry for the novel!)

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
May 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Great post! I've gotta wake up a bit more before I compose my answer, but excited to see what everyone adds!
May 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Meredith, you and my DH would get along fabulously. He loves to debate- everything. He can put the devils advocate spin on just about anything. Drives me nuts sometimes but I admire people that can shoot from the hip like that. I'm too cautious and overthink my answers too much to be good at debate.

What makes me me? I think my drive in life is to discover and uncover beauty. I love art, poetry, photography, music, and creating. I took art classes throughout my years in school and have always found a way to incorporate it into what I'm doing, even if it's something as simple as organizing my closet in rainbow order

I also think alot of what shaped me has been my heart for wanting to help people. When life gives me a major challenge and I've needed support from others, I always try to take what I've learned and turn around and help others. When my daughter was diagnosed with autism I joined a support group and then made sure to repay the kindness by later comforting those who were going thru the same hardship. I always feel like that's what I'm meant to do in this world.

May 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Hmmm...I used to play the fiddle and was really good at it! I loved playing it but quit because I was 11 and the boy who was teaching me had a crush on me and got on my nerves LOL I never have picked it back up. I have wanted to for a couple years now but haven't found a chance to.

I'm also pretty good at gardening. I love planting flowers and growing food! I find it relaxing. I can't wait until we have place for a garden.
May 3rd, 2013, 12:59 AM
Posted Twice (REMOVED)

Last edited by Xtapolapocet; May 3rd, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
May 3rd, 2013, 12:59 AM
Wow!! Some amazing skills/attributes here amongst us gals!

A little about me....

I do knit/crochet/embroider/cross-stitch/sew/tat and quilt. I paint (both the artistic decorative and the home improvement style), do interior design/home staging (just finished my ASP program for Home Staging), decorate cakes, take care of mechanical upkeep on the vehicle (change oil, brakes, turn rotors, rebuilt a carburetor on a Honda 4 Wheeler, etc.). I sing (soprano) and have won both 1st and 3rd place in a talent show. I play the flute (although I haven't had much time for that in the last few years hehe). I am very skilled in culinary arts (it was the first college discipline I started in because I wanted to learn how to cook), I went on to be educated in computer software/hardware repair and programming. After that I (of course) finished my degree in Criminal Justice and became a police officer. I worked as the assistant director for the Police Athletic League chapter at our department. On top of that I helped work in the community for Halloween Events to get the kids actively involved with law enforcement to stay off of the street and enjoy a safe night without vandalism (which is rampant along with arson on that holiday in our area). I've worked with our church for many events (including being involved in the church choir). I have also worked for feeding the homeless in our area as part of an outreach program. I have an extensive knowledge about history (a passion of mine), especially American History and the Victorian era. I have a passion for architecture and have designed and completed many projects (which of course ties in with my passion for Interior Design and Home Staging). Also, I speak Arabic and I speak some Cherokee.

There are other things I could list here, but I feel this is more than sufficient for you to get a 'picture' of who I am as a person.

Those are some of my 'hidden' talents/passions.

The one I am working diligently to become skilled at is parenthood....this one is the most challenging of all.

May 3rd, 2013, 02:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love exploring, I could go anywhere and just walk around, or get on a bike and ride, or hop in the car and just drive and see where I end up.

I also have a passion for other cultures and languages, I've been to Canada, Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, and Switzerland. I can speak fluent German, and took a few years of Italian.

I love to sing but my greatest talent is that I played bass clarinet for 13 years, and also made it into IMEA, unfortunately I no longer play and I miss it terribly, I sold everything I had to fund my move to Germany, I actually cried on the way home after selling it. But it was the right thing to do, it was such a beautiful instrument and it was just collecting dust because I was always working and finishing my degree and just didn't give her the time or care she needed. If I ever miss my ''1st baby'' I can go see her because she now belongs to the bass clarinetist in the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington D.C.

Last edited by A.Sue8; May 3rd, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
May 3rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is such a great thread!!!!

"X" - i so wish you lived by me. i have wanted to learn to tat in honor of my grandmother. i never thought to learn when she was alive and now most people don't even know what it is.
nursingmama and Xtapolapocet like this.

~~terre~~
May 4th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL2lissy8 View Post
this is such a great thread!!!!

"X" - i so wish you lived by me. i have wanted to learn to tat in honor of my grandmother. i never thought to learn when she was alive and now most people don't even know what it is.
Hey! I can still teach you.

We can do Yahoo Webcam. Do you want to learn Shuttle or Needle tatting? (I do both)

May 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think she had a shuttle -- it was a red thingy. also, i am left handed - does it matter? you can take this private if you want to.

~~terre~~
May 7th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL2lissy8 View Post
i think she had a shuttle -- it was a red thingy. also, i am left handed - does it matter? you can take this private if you want to.
Okay.

I've never tried it left handed, but I am sure I could give it a try for you. While I am ambidextrous, I am predominately right handed (especially when it comes to needlework). I would be willing to give it a shot!!

Also, I found this online if you wanted to work at your own pace and be able to stop, rewind and fast forward through a shuttle tatting class. If this is something you'd be interested in, I have provided the link below for you:

Shuttle Tatting: Make Lacy Jewelry, Embellishments for Quilts & More!

If you want to try it with me, just PM me. We'll have to try to set up a time/date to get started. Right now things are hectic (especially coming up to Mother's Day), but after that I will have some free nights.

Just let me know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search