Wearing Mommies!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I love babywearing. I do it everyday. But one mistake (sorta) that I made was assuming I knew what kind of carrier I wanted before B was here. I have the Moby and Ergo Organic.

The Moby is great, when its tied perfectly. The stretch in the fabric makes it hard for me to get it "just right" every time. Plus, he sinks down too far as the fabric settles into the tie. I still love it though.

My Ergo is awesome. He hated the infant insert so now that he's big enough to go without, that's our go-to. But, the shoulder straps are bulks and don't sit right on my frame. I'm not tiny but I have small shoulders I think. It fits DH great. It doesn't stop me from wearing it for hours but I can't help but think there is a better solution for me.

I have researched a ton and while I *think* I know what I want, I'm not spending the mucho $$ until I know for sure. I am going to rent a couple different carriers -- starting with the on

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I have the Moby. I loved it at first and still kinda do but it's just too hot for the Summer.

I'm trying to find a well loved Ring Sling because I don't want to pay the price for a new one (I'm cheap like that) and am also considering trying the Infantino Mei Tai that Walmart & Babies R Us have.
May 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made a wrap with non stretchy material for $15

I love it much more then my Moby bc it isnt stretchy. He stays right where I put him. I can tell you how to make one.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
May 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM
I just realized something happened to my OP -- it cut off! Anyhow the rest basically said that i am renting a Beco Gemini first, followed by a Girasol woven. I have already identified the need for both a wrap and a SSC but need to find the right ones for me. I know we have some Beco users out there... what are your likes and dislikes? Good to know someone sees the benefit of a woven wrap too! I have a feeling I will like the woven so much better than the stretchy!

May 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Super Mommy
I love my Mei Tai!! Shelby loves it as well because she can still scrunch up into a lil ball. I got mine fairly inexpensive at BRU. I paired it with giftcards and coupons.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

May 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I love my beco! I have a butterfly II. I really dont have any complaints. I am smaller framed and it works fine. DH is much bigger than me and he wears it sometimes too without issue. Then again he is used to wearing 200lb rucksacks, so I dont think he'd complain much about wearing a 14lb baby
I'll admit, I got the beco simply bc I liked how it looked better than the ergo. But it was a good choice, its worked well
May 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm obsessed with my Mae Tai (sp). Someone gave it to me so it's pretty old but it's freaking fantastic. Vivi loves it and it is lightweight so not too sweaty in the summer

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
May 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Oh, I also wanted to add something about the Beco... the butterfly makes it super easy to transfer from one wearer to another- the baby stays securely inside an "insert" in the carrier so passing from one person to another is a cinch. The gemini doesnt have this feature, so you'd have to take baby out of the carrier and then readjust on the next wearer. You might have already known this but just in case

I'm not sure if the new Beco soleil has this feature?
May 1st, 2013, 10:41 PM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
The Moby is nice, but very hot and the material is annoying to keep tying. I had the Bjorn but after trying it once- I sold via craigslist and bought an Ergo - which i LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Just a thought, isn't there an Ergo that fits better for smaller frames (like a sports one)?

The Mae Tai look adorable!!
May 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Expecting #1
I have the moby and love it, but its getting hot to wear for more then 30 minutes with the Florida climate. I have been heavily looking into the Ergo Performance which has the lighter dry wick fabric.

You live in a hotter climate, so I am curious how you will like the Beco. I looked at it for a little while, but for long term use, as baby grows, it didnt seem to have the best reviews on support like the ergo for a heavier baby. I plan to wear Ember for as long as I can and she will take it, so I was looking for something that would be good for 25-40 lbs.

I looked into the exchange and it was kind of pricey. Which one are you using?

May 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am still in love with my Baby K'Tan, but starting to wonder what I will do when it gets super hot here. I went for a walk with Peyton in it last week when it was 80 degrees and thought I was gonna croak of heat stroke.

I just wanted to add that I have the Ergo...and it is hot in the summer.

May 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Ya the Ergo is def one of the best out there for carrying toddlers. We are most certainly keeping ours for DH now and for when Bax grows. I still use it (he was in it all afternoon yesterday and all morning today -- I usually do 1/2 day Moby and 1/2 day Ergo). I have heard the Beco Gemini is a little warm so that's why I'm renting. It's supposed to hit near 100 today... First of many hot summer days! This is the other reason I am interested in a woven wrap, when he won't tolerate a SSC.

Interestingly enough, he gets WAY hot in his carseat but less in a carrier (either). Same clothes, same weather. I would think he would be hotter being carried. Especially with he body heat I generate (I get hot too, that's where he gets it, poor kid).

My Beco is set to arrive tomorrow and ill have it for 2 weeks so will let you know how I like it (feel free to bug me if I forget! -- here or FB). I rent from paxbaby. She is very close by and very knowledgeable. She is highly regarded in the babywearing community. The rental is $30 for 2 weeks, plus a refundable deposit of 40% of the cost of the carrier new. Plus, when your rental is returned they send you a $10 coupon to use on your next purchase. Not too shabby. Super easy to work with too!

May 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I heard so much about the Moby wrap that I bought one and I have only used it a couple of times. I can't get it right, Julius doesn't like being straight in front of me he like to be more to the side and then I feel like he's going to suffocate and then he starts slipping out of the side..so it was a fail buy for me, I've read a lot about the Manduca, it's really popular here in Europe and is supposed to be the best baby carrier of all time, but i'm afraid to invest so much money into something that I'll only end up using a handful of times.
May 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
You can rent one to try!

http://shop.paxbaby.com/rent-a-manduca/

Not sure if the international shipping cost would make it worth it but it might be worth inquiring!
A.Sue8 likes this.

May 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Dee
Renting is a great idea! If I'd known about that before, I probably would have done that first. We have an Ergo and a ring sling. Ergo is great, but toasty. Better for long walks, but not for quick errands or around the house. I LOVE the ring sling, it's adjusting well as he grows, it's easy, and it makes us both happy. I might just wear him in it until he starts high school.
May 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Karin- I have a Girasol (Ardent, with the creme weft :-)), and I couldn't survive without it. I've had a number of DIY wraps over the years, and they're great, but a ready made wrap blows them out of the water. My Girasol is comfy for hours with my 16 pound boy, and equally comfy with my 25 pour d toddler. While it's not hot here yet, I *think * the weave is just open enough to breathe in the heat, yet I can fold it in half and use it as a light blanket. If there were another colorway I liked as well, I would absolutely buy another.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
May 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
missadie222's Avatar Go Your Own Way mama2b
HI there. I have the Beco Gemini WHICH I LOVE. I pretty much like everything about it, ESPECIALLY its ability to face out. My baby actually HATES being carried facing in, and there's nothing I can do about it. SO facing out is better than nothing. I know there's a big debate about facing out but I think 45 minutes to an hour a day isn't gonna hurt him or his hip and leg development. Besides, Beco says that their Gemini is formed ergonomically to safely carry a baby facing forward.

Oh yea, one con. NO POCKET (s). I made a little velcro bag that straps around mine.
nursingmama likes this.

Vyvian Utah Everson Spark born January 10, 2013

May 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE the beco gemini! It works great on my small frame and I can wear it forever! Felix loves facing in when he is tired and out when he is alert but fussy. I highly recommend! Let us know how it goes for you Karin!

May 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a small carrier stash!!

And older version Beco - I LOVE it. It's all broken in nice & soft. Easy to use and adjust. Has the sleep/sun hood. Easy to use on my front or my back the panel is taller than my Ergo.

Ergo - love this one too. It's still new so I'm working on getting it squishy. Also easy to use. Shorter panel but still very supportive for baby. I've done front & back carries quite easily with it as well. Used it a couple weeks ago to Wes the four year old while we stood in line to see the VeggieTales. My only complaint is that te shoulder straps are a bit bulky for small people.

Moby - very rarely use it now because of the stretch.

Woven wrap - love it but still working on ties/carries since I'm used to one with stretch.

Ring sling - I scored a seeing slot from Sleeping Baby Productions and went with a green linen, single layer. This one lives in my diaper bag. I love how easy it is to use. It's very lightweight and linen is supposed to be good for hot climates. I've washed it a couple times and its getting nice and soft. This is a good option for quick, short carries. Def not something I like to wear for long periods of time.

I'm drooling over the Tula carriers!!!

The Boba Air is supposed to be great for not weather, as well. Lots of moms seem to like it.

May 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Expecting #1
So what do you think of the Beco??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search