Need some info on making Baby Food

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By LadieBug

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Ok, this is for the mommies that has already made baby food at home for your other babies.....

I have 2 other kids and I did not make baby food, I purchased jarred.

I want to make my own baby food BUT I was wondering the following:

1.) How time consuming is it?

2.) I don't have much freezer space so if I made small portions how often would I be making it?

3.) Is it really cheaper after purchasing all the fresh veggies/fruits?

4.) Is their really a difference between making baby food and purchasing a high quality organic jarred baby food?

5.) Will you be making baby food for this LO or moving on to jarred?

Any other info you can share would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I haven't made it yet so i don't have those answers, but i did want to share two books that i bought that i LOVE! I got them both used for a few dollars a piece. First Meals: The Complete Cookbook and Nutrition Guide and Puree for Baby: Over 101 Healthy Recipes for Making Homemade Baby Food. They both have TONS of information!
mommysc2 likes this.

Last edited by mal91011; May 2nd, 2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added links!
May 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I also don't have answers for you yet either but I know my brother and SIL had really good experiences with making food. They only bought organic ingredients to make food but they said it was about even, if not cheaper, than buying prepared foods. They did also use organic pouched foods to supplement as well. The book we are getting is 101 baby purees which has great recipes for all stages of baby's diet.
mommysc2 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Host of March '10 PR
DD1 was never much of a fan of puree's, so while I did dabble in making my own food, it never became an ongoing thing. We took more of a BLW'ing approach bc she just wasnt too interested in the puree's. I made butternut squash, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, and I'm sure a few other things I cant remember. I truly enjoyed making them, for me I didnt mind the time involved because I wanted to do it for my daughter (NOT at all saying those who use jarred food are less of a parent!)
Someone gave me the book "Baby Love", which contained many recipes for baby food on up through toddlerhood.
Baby Love: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Meals for Your Baby and Toddler: Norah O'Donnell, Geoff Tracy: 9780312621926: Amazon.com: Books

The food didnt take up very much space in my freezer- I froze it in ice cube trays, and then once it was frozen, I stored the cubes in large ziplock bags.
mommysc2 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search