4 Month Check up and Flat Head?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LilHerndon
  • 1 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parker had his 4 month check up today! I can't believe how old he is already! Weighing in at a petite 12lbs 12ounces and I think 24inches long. Still a tiny guy but at least he's on the growth charts now.

Of biggest concern is that fact that he has a bit of flat head. Apparently we don't do quite enough tummy time because he hates it and now we pay for it. We have 2 months to try and fix it before he needs a helmet. Anyone have any experience with this? Really don't want the poor little guy to need a helmet. I'll tell ya - this little guy certainly is giving us a run for our money between this, his food allergies, additional pelvic fat that causes something called a hidden penis, and his reflux this kid is a ball of trouble lol! I just want him to be happy and healthy!!

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
Always Remembering Our Baby Angels - 4/2011 and 4/2012
May 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What got Vivi liking tummy time a bit more was getting this surf board looking mat from Kohls. It has a piece to put under their chest and then all these toys attached to it so they have something to look at and are not flat on the ground smashing their faces into the mat. She can do like 3-5 min without getting fussy which is a lot for her. Try it when he is happy and not overtired. Or you can use a blanket, roll it up, and put it under his chest so he had something propping him up. Then put a toy in front of his face or get on his level and make faces.

Hope that helps and that it gets him off his head more! Have you used a bumbo/does he have the strength for that? Or propping him in a breastfriend feeding pillow or something? We sometimes do that to get her to work on holding her head up and not having her lying down all the time.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
May 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia hates tummy time too with a passion . That being said she doesn't do much of it so we just make sure when we hold her that it's mostly over the shoulder.....we were just in the Pedi's office last week and I told him that she hates tummy time and he said just keep doing it...however, Sophia's head is not flat, he said it is a good shape so I am really not stressing over this but in your case I would look into maybe a product that will encourage tummy time or just do it and let him cry it out, you can do multiple very short sessions a day if he really cries

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lincoln's head is a bit flat. My first son's head was SO flat. The thing to remember is that it is almost always just a cosmetic issue. I personally wouldn't subject my child to 23 hours a day of a helmet over a cosmetic issue that will soon be covered by hair. You can't even tell now with my older son.

Lincoln doesn't really like tummy time either. I'm going to get him one of those little seats that has the toys all around (looks kind of like a bumbo with toys around it) and see if he likes that.

May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
DS1 HATED tummy time and our Dr said to just let him cry it out, that he would be ok. I didn't like to hear him cry though so we would lay him on our chest on his belly and he liked that.

Marshall doesn't do much of tummy time anymore be he's in his bumbo and exersaucer a lot so I'm not worried about it. Plus he naps on his belly.
May 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHerndon View Post
additional pelvic fat that causes something called a hidden penis
Please enlighten me on this- never heard of it before!

Everyone else has good suggestions for tummy time. My DD hated it too and Eli isn't too thrilled with it either. The flat spot disappears eventually the more active they get. I would not subject him to a helmet for that. Just my 2 cents.

May 2nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is the hidden penis thing just where it basically doesn't stick out because of his fat? If so, my 2 year old had this, he was such a FAT FAT FAT baby that it just kinda turtled in because of the fat around it. He's thinned out enough now that it's not like that anymore, but it sure was weird. One of my nephews had it too, also a big baby.

My BFF's son had a flat head bad enough that he had a helmet for a few months. It really helped and wasn't too bad. He's out of the helmet now, and no worse for the wear.

May 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joellejello View Post
Is the hidden penis thing just where it basically doesn't stick out because of his fat? If so, my 2 year old had this, he was such a FAT FAT FAT baby that it just kinda turtled in because of the fat around it. He's thinned out enough now that it's not like that anymore, but it sure was weird. One of my nephews had it too, also a big baby.
Yes that is what it is. They say it should go away (or come out?) by the time he's a toddler but Parker is NOT a fat baby by any means so we're a little worried it won't fix itself. If it doesn't we'd probably do the surgery to make it so it does stick out because the poor kid doesn't need that kind of issue later on in life lol. Odds are it will be ok though.

We do have a bumbo so we're using that more, i'm letting him nap on his belly or side now since I'm always sitting next to him anyways, and he'll tolerate a bit of tummy time with the boppy or a pillow under him. Thanks so much for the recommendations ladies! It's not very bad honestly so as long as it doesn't get worse (which with this much time off of it I don't see happening) then we'll forgo the helmet idea I think.
joellejello likes this.

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
Always Remembering Our Baby Angels - 4/2011 and 4/2012
May 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
Lincoln's head is a bit flat. My first son's head was SO flat. The thing to remember is that it is almost always just a cosmetic issue. I personally wouldn't subject my child to 23 hours a day of a helmet over a cosmetic issue that will soon be covered by hair. You can't even tell now with my older son.

Lincoln doesn't really like tummy time either. I'm going to get him one of those little seats that has the toys all around (looks kind of like a bumbo with toys around it) and see if he likes that.
Do you mean this? Summer Infant 3-Stage Booster Seat - Walmart.com If so, I have it and LOVE it!!! Comes in boys colors too!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 3rd, 2013, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry

Mykelti James 01.21.13
May 4th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Do you mean this? Summer Infant 3-Stage Booster Seat - Walmart.com If so, I have it and LOVE it!!! Comes in boys colors too!
Yes that's it! I may just go get one today. I need more places to put him.
mommysc2 likes this.

May 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
I actually just bought this yesterday at Target and he likes it...well he likes it for about 30 minutes at a time...then he wants out but Josh got a bit of a flat head too so I figured it would be a good purchase.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
May 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow 30 mins is awesome, lol. Lincoln doesn't stay anywhere for that long.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search