spit, spit, spit

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar
  • 1 Post By rlh27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Dee
We have a spitter. He was getting better, but then the doctor wanted him to get more formula in a day and the only way to do that is to (a) feed him 5 oz at a time, or (b) wake him up in the middle of the night to eat. I'm not waking him up.

I feel like the transition is like that Seinfeld episode - I know you can take five ounces, but can you hold five ounces?

Now that he's eating 5 instead of 4 oz, his spitting is so-much-worse. And with no warning, he'll just spit up all over him, us, and anything around. Is this the time that people add cereal to the formula to weight it down? We were going to skip cereal altogether, so is there anything else people have used to keep the formula in the baby, as opposed to all over our clothes, the floor, and the poor woman next to me in church/on the plane/in line at the grocery store? (I've learned to stand/sit a good distance from strangers when I'm holding him.)
May 6th, 2013, 02:06 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm interested to see if anyone has advice on this. We are going through the same thing with Vivi and have been for weeks. Girlfriend lives in her bibs. She is hungry for 4 1/2 oz and the 5oz bottle at night, but she spits up SO much! We can hold her upright, burp her, etc it doesn't matter, at some point she is going to spit up. Sometimes it's right way, sometimes delayed, sometimes a little, sometimes like a volcano. I have no idea what to make of it. I've just sort of accepted it because she doesn't seem really upset by it. I really didn't want to do rice cereal, but if it's what she needs or if I can find an alternative that I can make I'll obviously do it.

We have a Dr's apt next Monday so I'll see if I get any advice from my Dr that I can share with you.

Sorry for sort of hijacking your post! I'm hoping we can get some advice and that your little guy starts keeping it down soon!

May 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
We asked about this at Eli's 4 mth appt and our doc says that it's perfectly normal for this age group. As long as your baby is not projectile vomiting or seems like they are in pain when they spit-up, then you should be fine. They will start to outgrow this by about 6 months- the valve that governs whether food stays in or comes up is still maturing.

We have added a tbsp of rice cereal into his bottles to thicken them (mainly for his reflux- but it also helps with the spit-up) but he's eating 7 oz bottles so if you're going to do it ask your pedi for the correct amount.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

May 7th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Dee
Not a hijack at all! Sounds like we're in the same boat, so any advice you have would be great.

He's not in pain, and it's definitely not vomiting, but just spit. He has reflux, too, so I it's probably just more of that. It's really just more of an inconvenience for us, and I'm not sure that his net intake has increased since he's drinking more, but also spitting more, you know?
May 7th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our feeding team said less formula at a time is better bc more volume means more puking. But that isnt helpful when they dont eat enough as it is honestly. I end up feeding Mika ALL the time...which means he is burning more cals bc he is eatiung more and digesting more.

Is she losing weight?

If so there are a few things you can try

1. Zantac wont stop the puking, but it will make it less acidic so it wont hurt.

2. Thicken the formula

3. Move to an elemental formula like Nutramigen A+ or an Amino Acid formula like PurAmino.

4. Ask your deitican/paed about hyperconcentrating the formula if none of the above work.

5. Add Domperidone, a motility med that helps move the formula through the tummy quicker so there is less to puke.

We do all of the above and Mika still pukes about as much as he keeps down.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; May 7th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
May 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM
^^ I haven't really thought about it until now, but Vivi probably pukes up like half her bottle, not just right after, but delayed as well. It could be 2 hours after a bottle and she can still puke up a good amount. It doesn't appear to be curdled most of the time though so I wonder if that's reflux? I'm not sure if it's painful or not though. She doesn't always appear to be uncomfortable, but sometimes she definitely is. It really seems a lot like happy puking, but it's still an absurd amount I think.

Definitely bringing it up to my dr on Monday. I know she is gaining weight so no worries there.

What about you D_Tops?

May 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Lurking from the Dec PR, but my little guy was also a MAJOR spitter. I had to put receiving blankets all over the house or I'd have to steam clean the carpets every day. It seemed like he spit up more than he kept down (I know, not possible, but it was bad). We tried all the tricks, too. What's helped him is pears. I feed him some homemade pureed pears after his 9AM feeding and 7PM feeding, and it's cut down his spitting by about 90%. It helped really quickly, too. I noticed a huge difference the first day he tried them. So when your little ones are ready to start some solids, I'd highly recommend trying pears.
MammaWannaBe likes this.
May 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
Lurking from the Dec PR, but my little guy was also a MAJOR spitter. I had to put receiving blankets all over the house or I'd have to steam clean the carpets every day. It seemed like he spit up more than he kept down (I know, not possible, but it was bad). We tried all the tricks, too. What's helped him is pears. I feed him some homemade pureed pears after his 9AM feeding and 7PM feeding, and it's cut down his spitting by about 90%. It helped really quickly, too. I noticed a huge difference the first day he tried them. So when your little ones are ready to start some solids, I'd highly recommend trying pears.
That's really interesting. What is it about pears that helped?

May 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
That's really interesting. What is it about pears that helped?
I'm not entirely sure, but it did the trick. Here's the website I got the idea from: Feeding Your Baby Pears, Pears for Homemade Baby Food Recipes and Pears for Baby Food, Age for Introducing Pears to your baby

It's a great resource for making baby food. We tried bananas too, but they didn't help him.
May 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
Our feeding team said less formula at a time is better bc more volume means more puking. But that isnt helpful when they dont eat enough as it is honestly. I end up feeding Mika ALL the time...which means he is burning more cals bc he is eatiung more and digesting more.

Is she losing weight?

If so there are a few things you can try

1. Zantac wont stop the puking, but it will make it less acidic so it wont hurt.

2. Thicken the formula

3. Move to an elemental formula like Nutramigen A+ or an Amino Acid formula like PurAmino.

4. Ask your deitican/paed about hyperconcentrating the formula if none of the above work.

5. Add Domperidone, a motility med that helps move the formula through the tummy quicker so there is less to puke.

We do all of the above and Mika still pukes about as much as he keeps down.
He's on Prilosec, taking an elemental formula (Elecare), and it's hyperconcentrated. We haven't thickened it yet, or tried Domperidone, so those are worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
^^ I haven't really thought about it until now, but Vivi probably pukes up like half her bottle, not just right after, but delayed as well. It could be 2 hours after a bottle and she can still puke up a good amount. It doesn't appear to be curdled most of the time though so I wonder if that's reflux? I'm not sure if it's painful or not though. She doesn't always appear to be uncomfortable, but sometimes she definitely is. It really seems a lot like happy puking, but it's still an absurd amount I think.

Definitely bringing it up to my dr on Monday. I know she is gaining weight so no worries there.

What about you D_Tops?
He spits some up right away, but it's on unpredictable delay. I know some of it is reflux, but the reflux doesn't seem to irritate him anymore, so I was wondering if there was anything else that it could be. Of course, he's on Prilosec and probiotic enzymes, which could be keeping the reflux from bothering him. He's a pretty happy kid if it's still real reflux. He is gaining weight, but not as quickly as she would like. He was in the 3% for height and weight at his 2 month check up, and at 4 months he was at 30% height but below 3% for weight. So, while he is gaining weight (and is already almost 3x his birth weight), it's not proportional to his overall growth, which is the ped's concern.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about this, especially since the spitting doesn't seem to be bothering her, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
My mom uses pears to keep things moving. She swears they work better than prunes. J doesn't have a constipation issue, but if Domperidone is recommended for motility, maybe prunes serve the same function? Hm, I really like this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we'll stay on the Prilosec for a while in case the reflux isn't getting any better, but maybe his first food will be pears to see if that helps keep things moving (in the right direction!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search