Baby Food?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By marybeth76
  • 2 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By joellejello

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
So our daycare won't do solids until 8 months. They will only do Gerber Baby Food (no outside food) before that. I was hoping to do baby-led weaning, but not sure about exclusive breast milk until 8 months. I hate breast feeding with every fiber of my being.

If I let them start on Gerber at 6 months, they have all the fruits and veggies. Yesterday, I read the labels. None of they have protein. How does an infant get by without protein? What am I missing here?

I'm contemplating switching day cares. I'm Active Duty, and this one is the base day care. They're great, but they are a bit over regulated and have no ability to deviate from their rules.

I also really wanted to make my own baby food if I was going to use baby food. I guess I could still do that for meals at home.

How do baby's just eating baby food survive? I have about 400 ounces of frozen breast milk, so I can supplement, but I feel like baby food is a step back in nutrition from breast milk? NO PROTEIN? Really??
May 10th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely be upset about not being able to feed my baby what I wanted. If it were me, I would probably stick with just breastmilk until 8 months (at least at daycare), because I have no intentions of using gerber baby foods. We will make our own baby foods from fresh fruits and veggies and even then it will just be some mashed up banana, avocado, sweet potato, etc. and it will only be for taste/texture exploration.
MammaWannaBe and d_tops like this.

May 10th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Does anyone use a daycare that allows you to bring food? Ours has some elaborate reason about possible food allergens, other kids being exposed to peanuts, strawberries, eggs, etc. Some parents can't afford a good diet, so this way all the kids get equal foods at the center, etc. The food is included with the cost of our daycare. I'm just wondering about possibly switching day care, or if this is something I will just have to deal with as a working mom. We can't afford a Nanny or a full time at-home caregiver.
May 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Expecting #1
My daycare allows me to make my own and bring it in. I can bring it in a tupperware or one of those reusable and fillable pouches.

As far as protein, babies still get all/most of their nutrients from breast milk or formula until they are 1. From my understanding and discussions with my pedi, when you start giving solids, it is not to replace breastmilk or formula, its just as a supplement to. You may have a slight decrease to milk consumption, but it will be small. For instance, the average amount of a milk an exclusively breast fed baby gets is 24-32 oz (huge range but that is why my pedi said) a day and my pedi said when baby is eating solids consistently it decreases about 2 oz. all day.

May 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a SAHM so I have no input on the daycare thing. I personally would switch though if they wouldn't let me chose what I fed my baby while at day care.

Babies don't eat just baby food once they start on solids. They are still mainly drinking breast milk or formula so that's where they get their nutrients from. As they get older you gradually reduce the amount of formula/BM and up the amount of solids so that they can go to just solids once they turn one or so.
MammaWannaBe and d_tops like this.

May 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
If it were my baby I would not want her in a daycare center where I couldn't feed her when and what I want. For example, I am going to be making all of Sophia's baby food homemade so if they were to tell me I can't bring any of that in and she had to be fed Gerber then I would not be happy. You are the mom and you are the one who should choose what and when she eats! As far as breastmilk/formula, babies need to be on that until 1 years old. They can start soild food as early as 4 month old depending on the baby. My doctor told me that the one nutrient that babies seem to start lacking at the age of 6 months old is iron, so that is why he recommends cereal for the iron. As far as the jarred foods, I am no too sure about the nutrients but again, you are the mom so if your plan was to make baby food and you can not while there then my advice to you would be to look around for a place that would allow it. I am a SAHM too so I really don't know how the daycares work though.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 10th, 2013, 01:32 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard "food before 1 is just for fun" so their policies on baby food are confusing to me. Did they give you more of an explanation? How easy is it for you to switch to another daycare?

May 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As several others said, babies get nearly all of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula up until age 1. When they first start food it's mostly getting them used to eating rather than drinking, and introducing foods slowly to see if they have any allergic reactions (that's why you only introduce one food every 3 days or so). You could feed LO what you want at home, and just let them eat breastmilk/formula at daycare. For example, feed LO mashed banana at breakfast along with thier breastmilk, then just breastmilk at daycare, then you can do another food with breastmilk around dinnertime. It was quite a while before we did a solid food more than 2x a day, so that could be a good solution for you.
d_tops likes this.

May 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM
OK, well, I feel kinda stupid. I guess I was thinking she'd go mainly to food. I'm a FTM, and I have done research, but info is spotty. We have a doctor's appointment next week, and I was planning on asking. I need to buy more books or something. Dang! I don't want to use formula that much, so I guess I'll be BFing and pumping longer than I hoped. Boooo....

Anyway, I can switch day care, and I called a few. They are all about 2x the price of the base, and they all have waiting lists. I'll start calling and touring so I can get on a wait list. I can afford the extra cost, I just didn't realize there was that big of a difference.

The base is just over regulated. The way things work is "a rule is a rule" and you can't break any rules. With government regulation, there is no room for common sense sometimes, just rules and checklists. They just have a rule that says no outside food without a doctor's note. The way I understand it, it is all child care centers in the Department of Defense. I've asked some moms at other bases, and it's all the same. Why it is SOOO heavily regulated, I don't know.

They have all kinds of rules. For example, infants can't sleep on the floor (I don't know why). They play on the floor, and then fall asleep, and have to be moved to a crib. This results in my daughter waking up, and not getting any good naps all day.

They also have to throw breastmilk out 1 hour after it is warmed, so if they warm her a bottle and she doesnt' finish it, they can't resave it and throw it out. It was explained to me that since formula is only good for 1 hour after being warmed, that is just a blanket rule to ensure no formula bottle accidently gets used after 1 hour.

The military is really big on safety, and they sometimes take things too far and overcompensate.
May 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I was just reading our handbook, and it basically just says that all means are served in accordance with the USDA, so somewhere the USDA must have recommended the solids and 8 months thing. Argh.

There is also something in there about fairness. The idea is that if my kid has blueberries, and some other kid only has a crappy sandwhich, it could create an issue.

I guess elementary school will be a rude awakening!
May 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
I'm active duty too. I wonder why you say they don't start till 8 mos? Evan is in the CDC too and they start in his 6 month class. This is why I've decided to start him on cereal. I don't want him to get to his next class and be like "what is this food stuff??".

May 11th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
So our daycare won't do solids until 8 months. They will only do Gerber Baby Food (no outside food) before that. I was hoping to do baby-led weaning, but not sure about exclusive breast milk until 8 months. I hate breast feeding with every fiber of my being.

If I let them start on Gerber at 6 months, they have all the fruits and veggies. Yesterday, I read the labels. None of they have protein. How does an infant get by without protein? What am I missing here?

I'm contemplating switching day cares. I'm Active Duty, and this one is the base day care. They're great, but they are a bit over regulated and have no ability to deviate from their rules.

I also really wanted to make my own baby food if I was going to use baby food. I guess I could still do that for meals at home.

How do baby's just eating baby food survive? I have about 400 ounces of frozen breast milk, so I can supplement, but I feel like baby food is a step back in nutrition from breast milk? NO PROTEIN? Really??
David has just started on Gerber Baby Food (1st Foods), but he also has formula to supplement his nutrition. He only gets about a teaspoon of the food and then finishes with formula. We've been working on introducing him to different foods (apples, bananas and carrots) until we can move him into solid foods. The supplementation of the formula has worked very well for his protein and other much needed nutrients. I don't know if this system could work for you, but it is worth a shot. We're using Nutramigen formula by Enfamil (because David also suffers from a bad case of Acid Reflux).

May 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Like others said, food in the 1st year isn't a big nutrition source.

Lauryn has started with bananas and avocados already, but it's inconsistent. She loves them both, but it's just when we're in the mood for them... and then she still takes a bottle after eating.

Our daycare will give her food as soon as I say I'm ready for them to. They have Gerber foods there and we will use Beech-Nut at home (other than the stuff I will puree myself like bananas, avocado, and sweet potatoes, peas, etc. if that's what we're eating)

If it's going to cost you more and be an inconvenience then I would just go with their rule and allow him to eat foods at home, unless you feel strongly about him starting solids regularly before the 8 month point.

May 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
They also have to throw breastmilk out 1 hour after it is warmed, so if they warm her a bottle and she doesnt' finish it, they can't resave it and throw it out. It was explained to me that since formula is only good for 1 hour after being warmed, that is just a blanket rule to ensure no formula bottle accidently gets used after 1 hour.
This is common. In the NICU, J had to finish his bottle in an hour before they'd throw it out. I was instructed to follow the same rule at home. And the day care that we were going to use had the same rule for formula or warmed breastmilk. The reason is that after the baby's been using the bottle for an hour, bacteria starts to develop in the bottle and it may eventually become unsafe. (The day care that followed this rule was really relaxed about most things - they'd use cloth diapers, any food that I brought in, etc. Their only rules about food were no peanuts anywhere, and each room might be subject to a specific allergy depending on the kids there. The 2 years olds' room was strawberry-free, for example.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search