Cereal

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 2 Post By MammaWannaBe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know we have talked a lot about cereal, the benefits, the disadvantages, etc. Well today when we went to the Dr for Vivi's 4 month apt and I brought up the spit up-turns out she is a "happy spitter" and that spitting up tends to peak around 4-6 months and then decrease. It's just about the development of the stomach flap and all that fun stuff. The Dr suggested we do some cereal or oatmeal, 3 times a day, mixed with formula and spoon feed it to her to help things stay down where they are supposed to be. I cringed at the word "cereal", but my doctor did tell me that it's perfectly fine to use, but I could make my own if I wanted.

I went to the store set on buying brown rice to make my own (it's super easy to make). I decided though to do a little experiment and compare brown rice to the Gerber Rice Cereal and honestly there is little to no difference. I actually ended up buying the Gerber Rice Cereal and not the brown rice although I am going to try processing some oats I have at home and making her homemade oatmeal and see what she prefers.

I just wanted to let anyone who was thinking about cereal or who might need to start their baby on cereal about my findings. I think it's perfectly fine if you decide that store bought rice cereal isn't necessary for your baby, but I think that sometimes mommy's can get caught up in doing the "right" thing and sometimes things like jarred store bought canned baby food or cereal gets a bad rap. I don't know about jarred food, but the comparison between regular brown rice and rice cereal really shocked me in a good way.

Just wanted to pass on that info!

May 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
TY for the info. Mikas had cereal to thicken his feeds since 3 days old. He started taking a spoon at 10 days old. We havent noticed any issues with using cereal except that he is allergic to oatmeal.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
May 13th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Julius is a happy spitter too, I wanted to try cereal to see if it would help even just a little because I seriously have to change him and myself multiple times a day and I use receiving blankets as spit rags. I did some investigating after hearing about arsenic being in rice food in general just to see what was going on, but after reading the consumer report I was kind of shocked and don't think I want to even eat rice anymore. Here's the link if you wanna give it a quick glanceArsenic in Your Food | Consumer Reports Investigation
May 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Expecting #1
I am glad you were able to talk to you pedi about cereal and oatmeal. Hopefully it will help with Vivi's spit-up. KUP on whether it helps decrease the spit-up.

May 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My reasoning behind not doing cereal is more around the fact that grains can often cause babies to be very constipated because their digestive systems don't digest grains in general very well until closer to one year of age. Many babies in my DS's playroom had that problem, so we just skipped and went to veggies and fruits right away. We just introduced grains later on, and for those mostly used the boxed cereals.

May 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah the doctor brought up constipation and recommended we give her some water or an ounce of prune juice mixed with an ounce of water. I hope she doesn't get backed up because she is a hot mess when she hasn't pooped

May 13th, 2013, 06:54 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
3 times a day?? That seems like a lot for a 4 month old? I don't/never had a spit-up baby so I could be wrong but at 4 months they really should only get cereal once a day and gradually move up to twice a day. Also, my doctor recommends cereal regardless because of the iron nutrient. Baby's tend to lack iron once they are 6 months old even on formula/breastmilk. He advised me to stay away from rice cereal due to traces of arsenic, he told me to do oatmeal instead and to only start with a teaspoon a day. I also wanted/want to make my own cereal. My baby baby bullet came with a brown rice recipe that looks so super easy but since he told me no rice cereal I am not going to make it unless he meant baby cereal pre-made....not sure.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
The chances of Vivi really getting much in her system is slim. We tried it once today and it was sort of a hot mess. My Dr more or less said to try 3 times a day and see if it helps. She did not mention arsenic but did say rice cerel or oatmeal is fine purchased or homemade. I trust my doctor and am going to follow her advice since she's helped us through some other bumps in the road with Vivi. We'll see. I'm mostly happy that Vivi's spit up is not something serious and just "happy spitting"

May 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Interesting, thanks for sharing

As y'all probably know, Lucyhas been getting cereal mixed in with most of her feeds due to excessive spit up. I use boxed rice cereal. I didn't know I could use oatmeal... May have to give that a try.
May 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I found a recipe where you ground up traditional oats, 1/4 cup water or something and then cool it right up! My dr said rice based cereal or oatmeal is fine, but since Vivi is little make it more soupy than thick

May 13th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info!

Marshall had nearly stopped spitting up but is back at it again the past 2-3wks, so that makes sense about it peaking! He doesn't seem too bothered by it but he projectile spits up a lot and it gets everywhere so we have been doing cereal added to his milk. It hasn't really been helping lately though. I did try the other day feeding him with a spoon but he just wasn't ready or maybe he wasn't hungry. I will try again soon though because I really want to cut down on the spit up!

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone else get annoying comments on how much their baby spits up? People are constantly saying "You must've ate too much" and I'll tell them No, it doesn't matter if he eats 1oz or 8oz he spits up. He may only eat 2oz and spew everywhere but then the next feeding eat 6 or 7oz and not spit up at all! And DH's papaw, EVERY DAY we see him says "That milk must not be no good for him you think? I'd be asking them if I could try him on another one. He'll be starting regular milk soon right?" And I tell him the SAME exact thing every time that other kinds did the same thing or caused him to have tummy aches, the spitting up doesn't bother him, ect but he won't hush about it. DRIVES.ME.CRAZY!

I hope Vivi eating cereal helps with her spit up!
MammaWannaBe and A.Sue8 like this.
May 13th, 2013, 08:24 PM
^^ not hijacking at all, it annoys me too. It doesn't matter how much she eats or howuch we burp and keep her upright, she's going to spit up. I just hate how people assume my child is in discomfort and upset over it. I'm with her 24/7 basically, sometimes if its accompanied with some stomach acid or a gas bubble, yes she is fussy, but she also just cries sometimes because she's a dang baby. Everyone assumes she must be super uncomfortable because she spits up a lot but it's reassuring to know that it isn't all formula and that she is clearly getting nutrients.

May 14th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Julius had his 4 month wellness check today and I asked about rice and oatmeal and the Dr. was against both ideas But I have to at least try something even if he isn't showing signs of discomfort, all the stomach acid can't be good for his little esophagus right?! Can you post the ground oat recipe you found, I went to the store bought rice and was all ready to make organic brown rice cereal, then I read brown rice absorbs more arsenic from the soil than white, so oats it is!
May 14th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Here ya go. It is like the 3rd one down

Baby Cereal Recipes for babies 4 to 6 months and older- Homemade Recipes for Baby Cereal Rice, Oatmeal Baby Cereal Recipes
Sawyers_Mommy and A.Sue8 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search