Core Tips

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 2 Post By LilHerndon
  • 1 Post By A.Sue8
  • 1 Post By beamermarie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 03:11 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey!

Just got some tips from the woman I take a yoga class from who had 2 C Sections about strengthening the core and thought I'd pass them along! She recommended lots of plank work and said Pilates was a great idea. Also leaning back and engaging your core while kicking back your legs (sort of like boat pose) is helpful too.

Also side note. I love yoga. It's a mixed level class and everyone is at different stages so I don't feel incompetent or get as frustrated. Plus it's really helping with some hip and back issues I've had post pregnancy.

What else is helping you mama's get back into shape?

May 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanna do yoga so bad!!!! There is a studio 20 min away and the classes are 12 dollars. I really wanna go and try it out but I just havent gotten around to it yet

May 16th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've being going to Zumba classes the past 3 weeks. They have them twice a week but so far I've only made it to the one on Wednesdays. I've been meaning to do the yoga class but it's only on Wednesdays at 6:30 so I've been choosing Zumba over yoga. My plan has been to do Zumba on Mondays and yoga on Wednesdays but I haven't made it around to doing that yet. Maybe this coming week I can get in the habit of doing that.

I've gained 14lbs the past couple months, I assume from stress which sucks! But so far I've lost 6lbs of that. I don't feel like I look smaller, it's only 6lbs but my body feels tighter and not as flabby and DH said I feel tighter as well so that's a plus!

On a side note, not to hijack but does anyone have a recommendation of good sneakers? I don't wanna spend like $100 but the pair I have, my feet hurt sooo bad about halfway through Zumba and I have to push myself and then I can hardly walk the rest of the night. I bought a pair of insoles yesterday hoping it would save me from buying shoes but instead my feet hurt worse with them and I think I pull something in the side of my foot because it hurts every time I walk. I may have to skip the zumba until I can figure something out.
MammaWannaBe likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
I've being going to Zumba classes the past 3 weeks. They have them twice a week but so far I've only made it to the one on Wednesdays. I've been meaning to do the yoga class but it's only on Wednesdays at 6:30 so I've been choosing Zumba over yoga. My plan has been to do Zumba on Mondays and yoga on Wednesdays but I haven't made it around to doing that yet. Maybe this coming week I can get in the habit of doing that.

I've gained 14lbs the past couple months, I assume from stress which sucks! But so far I've lost 6lbs of that. I don't feel like I look smaller, it's only 6lbs but my body feels tighter and not as flabby and DH said I feel tighter as well so that's a plus!

On a side note, not to hijack but does anyone have a recommendation of good sneakers? I don't wanna spend like $100 but the pair I have, my feet hurt sooo bad about halfway through Zumba and I have to push myself and then I can hardly walk the rest of the night. I bought a pair of insoles yesterday hoping it would save me from buying shoes but instead my feet hurt worse with them and I think I pull something in the side of my foot because it hurts every time I walk. I may have to skip the zumba until I can figure something out.
It's definitely good to mix up your work out so doing some cardio with Zumba one day and more core strengthening and stretching with yoga another idea is fantastic. Add some walking with the kiddos and you are in business!

As far as shoes go, I would definitely invest in a good pair. It's worth it and your feet will thank you. Have you thought about checking out Ebay or something? I have a sweet pair of like 100$ Nikes I got for $40 online. They are totally comfy and not hideously expensive

May 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I agree buying a good pair is totally worth it. Go to a specialty store and have them watch how your feet move and they will determine whats the best shoe for you.

As for me, I've done nothing but gain 10 pounds since I went back to work. I'm still trying to figure this all out.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

May 16th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I gained 8 lbs back after losing most of my baby weight so now I am trying to get rid of 15lbs to hit pre-pregnancy weight instead of the initial 8 I was at. I've decided to start jogging at least 3 times a week and I've found that it is really relaxing and nice to get out. Also I'm oddly good at it for a short person lol! To keep me doing it I'm signing up for a 5k in the beginning of July. I have lost 3lbs doing the jogging and myfitnesspal app though! Otherwise I really do need to get some strength exercises in too so things can get firmer.

As for the shoes I am also on a tight budget so I googled best cheap shoes for running/jogging or whatever activity you'll be doing and there are a few sites that list the best options. I then took those recommendations to Kohl's and found a decent sale sneaker that is working really well so far. It's really just a fill in for the day I can afford $200 sneakers made for me but I like them so far!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

May 17th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I feel like we are all at similar places. I rarely get on a scale because I'm a big believer in how you feel/fit of clothes over if you're up a lb or two, but I know I put on some weight after my initial loss of lbs. Sounds like it's more common than not. We'll get there ladies! Remember it took almost 10 months to get to where we got, it's going to take time to get it off plus we are trying to take care of children/run a household/work/be super woman, etc!

May 17th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really enjoy swimming but I don't get to go as often as I want. At home I tune on my Ipod and just dance away (I can't really dance I just try and move as much as possible, I'm sure if someone looked in my window they would think I was having a seizure) Otherwise if it's not raining I'll go for a walk in the forest.

To the shoes : Do you have a Nordstrom Rack, DSW or Outlet mall in the area? I'm an outlet fanatic. I bought a pair of Nike Shock, Nike FLEXTR2, and Adidas Supernova Sequence for $120 all together when 1 pair normally costs that much The FlexTR2 are a really good shoe. Very light weight it almost feels like I have no shoes on, great to dance in!, The shocks and the Supernova are bulky but the Supernova are the most comfortable and are my go to walking shoe.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.
May 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I do a "boat" pose every morning on the side of my bed after my shower. It has really helped. Also, I have been doing traditional sit-ups. We have a "Captain's chair" and I do leg raises with that. Some planks. The biggest thing I do is walking around all day trying to keep my abs flexed while at work, shopping, etc.

I still have a small layer of fat from pregnancy, but my abs are almost flat. I can see some muscles and have a tiny six pack budding.
joellejello likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search