Enfamil AR/Spit Up Saga

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By joellejello
  • 1 Post By LadieBug
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So the spit up saga with my LO continues. At her 4 mo apt the Dr deemed her a happy spitter since she is gaining, wants to eat, and it doesn't seem to bother her all that much. She suggested we try rice cereal or oatmeal but that has mostly been a bust. She's been fussier lately, I honestly don't know what's up with her. She's drooling a lot and wants to bite everything so maybe some early gum pain from teething and of course spitting up a lot and I finally decided that I needed to try something else because the spit up is out of control. It's like a lot all the time. The kid lives in bibs it's insane. So I called the dr and she suggested trying Enfamil AR.

I just wanted to know if anyone else uses it and have you seem any success?

I kinda am feeling like a failure mom. I don't think the spit up is causing her pain but I'm sick of the awful looks I get and the questions of concern about her spit up from people. I don't think it's acid reflux, lactose doesn't seem to be the issue, I'm hoping the new
Formula will help or she'll grow out of it but it feels like there is no end in sight to this issue!

May 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Meh. Boo. I don't have any advice on the formula but wanted to send some :hugs: hope you get a solution in place that works for her and you!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
May 23rd, 2013, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel like a failure of a mom, there is an end coming soon. I hope the formula switch helps, We switched to the AR for a few weeks but it didn't do anything for us :/ Julius just seemed to get really gassy and backed up and since he was still spitting up his normal amount I just switched back. maybe I just didn't give it long enough, every baby is different.

He's been fussing and chewing on everything toys, hands, bottle nipple, and drooling like a mad man, and I've noticed his spit up has a lot of saliva in it. We went to a bbq and Julius spit up on everyone that held him and also got an over the shoulder on the patio shot when his grandpa had him. I have to wipe the car seat out and wash the shoulder straps all the time, and when he spits up while lying on his back he gets it in his ears and all over the back of his head. He's been sucking on his bottom lip a lot so I bought some gum numbing stuff and massage the bottom gums.
May 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was a happy spitter. As much as I hated it, we just used many bibs every day, washed his neck/ears/head, etc a lot, and he did eventually grow out of it, probably starting around 6 months, and finally being almost gone closer to 9 months. I actually find it weird that Taylor doesn't spit up much since Sean did soooo much.

Take comfort in the fact that it isn't bothering her, and she's still eating enough that she's gaining and happy. It gets better, I promise.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Host of March '10 PR
We've been using the formula for spit u. Started with Enfamil Ar and moved onto the similac version. I even add a little extra rice cereal to that. She still spits up a lot. But it's a little more manageable.
She's a happy spitter- gaining weight and doesn't seem in pain. It's just messy and pointless to put her on nice outfits bc I have to change her so often. A bib wouldn't help- there's too much of it. Most days she gets it all over me too so I end up changing as well. It's just gonna take time to grow out of it :/
A.Sue8 likes this.
May 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lincoln spits up a lot. It doesn't usually seem to bother him, although occasionally it does. It's a huge pita for sure. I carry extra little cotton blankets around everywhere to try and catch it or wipe it off afterward. I change him a lot and wipe his neck and chest and I smell like spitup more often than not, lol. I just keep telling myself it won't last forever and he WILL eventually outgrow it.

I've heard the AR formula can cause bad constipation issues so just be on alert for that.

May 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the potential plumbing issues. So far she's been going normally (thank god), but I don't see that much of a difference. Of course we have only done a few bottles, but still spitting up although it's not like the waterfall it usually is so maybe that is a good sign.

I really don't know what to think. I think it's more that others around me get me stressed out because they relate her crying to the fact her tummy hurts from all the spit up and I really don't think that is the case. Generally she is happy although she does get fussy when she's tired, hungry, needs to be changed, etc normal baby stuff. I really think that she might also be starting to teeth because she always has something in the mouth and is really chomping down and pressing on her lower gums. Makes me think that I might be mistaking fussiness with teething with fussiness from spitting up. She's honestly been spitting up like this forever it just really feels like it's never going to end. She's forever in a bib and it's just a mess all the time

May 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I am not sure if I can be any help but when Sophia "had" acid reflux (she had the silent one) our pedi suggested to switch to Enfamil AR if the zantac wasn't enough. We never had to because the zantac worked wonders on her, so we kept her on the Similac Sensitive RTF. So, he did recommend AR for spit up and explained that it does contain rice starch which helps to keep it down. I personally think the Enfamil AR and Similac Sensitive for Spit Up are similar so I would recommend def trying it out and see if it works since her spit up is that bad. It can't hurt, except the only thing I heard (and not from my pedi) is that because of the added rice starch it could back her up and sometimes the hole in the nipple would clog. The dr also said instead of switching we could add rice cereal to her bottle (I didn't feel comfortable with that, but it's another option) but that doesn't mean that would happen to her. If it were my baby I would def try it for a few days and she if you see a difference, we were going to but just didn't need to. I gave away my RTF pack too....boo!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
So far I have to say that she does seem to be keeping her bottle down a bit more. I mean she definitely still spits up a lot and needs her bib, but it doesn't seem to be the utter soaking pouring out of her month stuff. I think because it is thicker it does stay down a little easier and the spit up is a little chunkier (gross I know).

I also really think she is teething or starting to teethe. She is drooling a lot, everything is in the mouth, and she keeps pushing down on her lower gums and seems to be in distress. I've done the little teething dissolveable tablets and letting her chew on frozen blueberries in one of the little mesh holder things and that seems to help a bit.

Ah it's so hard at this age because everything is kind of a guessing game!

May 23rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Elijah was on the AR for a little over a week before we switched to what we're on now. I'll agree with what most of the moms said here: may clog the nipple- we switched to the medium nips to keep the flow going; she may still spit up but it will be thicker; and the plumbing problems were really bad for us here but we tried it back when he was only 2 months so he was a bit young. Good luck!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post
Elijah was on the AR for a little over a week before we switched to what we're on now. I'll agree with what most of the moms said here: may clog the nipple- we switched to the medium nips to keep the flow going; she may still spit up but it will be thicker; and the plumbing problems were really bad for us here but we tried it back when he was only 2 months so he was a bit young. Good luck!
What are you using now? Does it help with spit up?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search