Lets talk naps....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many a day is your LO taking?

How long do they last?

Where do they sleep?

How do you get them down?

I'm struggling with naps majorly here! I don't know if its because dexter is a difficult napper or if it is too loud in my house with dd1 for him to get the rest he needs. But he honestly will only nap with me laying next to him ( which is impossible to do since I have a 3 year old). I sneak out of the room once he is asleep but almost every time he wakes up ten minutes later! He usuly takes a 30-40 minute nap in the ergo each day and 3-4 10-15 minute cat naps. I'm going crazy! Sorry just needed to vent. Any advice? I really don't want to do the cry it out technique but may have to try. My dd always napped in her swing at this age, but its just too darn noisy for that now.

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
May 24th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
How many a day is your LO taking? 2-3

How long do they last? Anywhere from an hour to 2.5hrs

Where do they sleep? In his crib

How do you get them down? He either falls asleep eating his bottle, but most of the time he's awake but sleepy when I put him down and he falls asleep on his own.
May 24th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Linc used to sleep 2-3 times per day, 1-3 hours each time. Now it's like, 10 minute cat naps and that's IF I can get him to sleep at all. He's fighting it SOOO badly. I think part of the problem is probably our loud house also (4 and 6 year old). I don't know what to do. I honestly just hope we can hang in until he requires less sleep, lol.

May 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Vivi's naps are so random and nonsensical and I know that is my fault. I haven't been good at getting her on a nap schedule because I've been afraid to mess up her nightly routine (she sleeps solidly through the night) and because it seems like every time I try to establish a nap routine something comes up or she falls asleep in the car and it's just a mess. She rarely naps during the day in anything but the ergo or the bouncy seat

I actually think I am going to try the 2-3-4 method which makes sense to me especially because if I think about it her body is naturally sort of responding to that theory anyway (if you haven't heard of it it's the idea that two hours upon wking they go down for a nap, then three hours after waking another, then four, then bed). Even if it doesn't work perfectly I hope it gives me some clues to when she naturally needs a nap so I can get her to go down for a little more of a predictable schedule.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
May 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
I actually think I am going to try the 2-3-4 method which makes sense to me especially because if I think about it her body is naturally sort of responding to that theory anyway (if you haven't heard of it it's the idea that two hours upon wking they go down for a nap, then three hours after waking another, then four, then bed). Even if it doesn't work perfectly I hope it gives me some clues to when she naturally needs a nap so I can get her to go down for a little more of a predictable schedule.
I never heard of that but it makes sense! Marshall wakes up around 8am (most days, sometimes 7 though) and always goes down for a nap at 10am (9-9:30 If he wakes at 7am) give or take a few minutes. Then again around 1:30pm and then around 4pm. His morning nap is longer then his other ones and his last one is the shortest.
May 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parker does about 3-4 naps during the day but how long they are ranges drastically. The only ones that are quite regular are his 10am(ish) nap that needs to last for at least 1-2 hours otherwise he is a cranky jerk, then in the evening he needs a 20-30 minutes catnap at 7pm. Other than those two I just watch for ques and rock him to sleep when he starts looking tired. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time putting him down once he is asleep (he startles awake immediately) so I literally have to sit there with him and it is killing my time! Every once in a blue moon I can get him down in his crib for an hour but that is rare. Any advice on how to detach him from my arms lol?

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

May 24th, 2013, 08:38 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!

How long do they last? anywhere from 1 hour-3 hours

Where do they sleep? swing or crib

How do you get them down? I place her in the crib with her paci and if that doesn't work then I put her in her swing.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
May 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
Linc used to sleep 2-3 times per day, 1-3 hours each time. Now it's like, 10 minute cat naps and that's IF I can get him to sleep at all. He's fighting it SOOO badly. I think part of the problem is probably our loud house also (4 and 6 year old). I don't know what to do. I honestly just hope we can hang in until he requires less sleep, lol.
We use an oscillating fan and a white noise machine. With summer here I will have three older kids here most of the day and we live in the city neighborhood so the neighbors are constantly out & about being loud!

May 25th, 2013, 09:02 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many a day is your LO taking? 3-5

How long do they last? 10 minutes- 1 hour

Where do they sleep? My arms, ergo, my bed or occasionally in his carseat

How do you get them down? Walk in the ergo, drive, but usually nurse laying down in my bed and then try to sneak away k be he is asleep. It rarely works lately. He always seems to wake up 10-15 minutes after I sneak off. If I nurse again he will fall back to sleep so I know he is still tired but can't sleep without me next to him. It's sweet but impossible because I have a 3 year old daughter to care for too!

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
May 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
How many a day is your LO taking? Well at daycare it's between 2 and 4. On the weekends at home it's between 3 and 4.

How long do they last? At daycare 20-60 minutes. At home 30 minutes-up 4 hours. I don't let him sleep for more than 4 hours during the day on the weekends.

Where do they sleep? Crib or swing, depends how he's feeling.

How do you get them down? I just feed him and then he's out for the count! Sometimes if he goes down fussy I let him whine/cry/fuss for up to 20 minutes then I recheck on him. I also play the music from his swing when I put him down. That lasts 7 minutes.

May 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joshua used to nap all the time, but within the last few weeks I noticed he is napping less and less.

How many a day is your LO taking? It really depends...If Im in the car he almost always naps, but then wakes as soon as we arrive. So generally 3 or so naps a day

How long do they last? between 15 min to an hour or so

Where do they sleep? anywhere he is at the time...swing, playmat, my bed, carsear. Once he falls asleep I keep him there til he awakes

How do you get them down? Well if he is being super cranky and I know hes been up for awhile, I will lay him on my bed, lay next to him and rub his head/forehead/cheek...usually works pretty quickly.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
May 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mika sleeps only on my chest or in his Moby. He will sleep from 20 mins (usually) to the rare 1.5 hours.

He sleeps like an angel in the car tho.

However he sleeps from 9pm to 5am with only 1 wake up.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
May 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Hm, that's interesting, and kind of describes how J handles his day if he's allowed to nap naturally.

How long do they last? 15 min-3 hrs, but it's like a box of chocolates

Where do they sleep? swing, crib, or pack-and-play at home. If he fell asleep in the car, I'll leave him in the car seat to finish his nap. He sleeps in the ergo or sling when we're out. (sheesh, i can't believe there are so many places for him to sleep!)

How do you get them down? I usually let him dictate naptime when he's sleepy, though I'd like to move to a more structured approach. If he hasn't had a nap all day, in the afternoon I'll rock him and give him a bottle in a dark room with the lullaby cd we use before bedtime, then put him down when he falls asleep. If this fails, I'll just wear him to finish whatever I was doing.

I've read that having a pattern is more important than having a schedule, and he could use more of a pattern. I've also read that leaving him in the crib to play quietly, even if he isn't sleepy, is important so he can get used to resting. If he were a real screamer (my nephew is), I know that just does not work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search