What's baby eating? How's it going?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2013, 12:20 PM
Dee
Little J loves to eat. We started at about 4 1/2 months, and he's 5 1/2 months now. So far he's eating banana, apple, avocado and soft boiled egg yolk. He also gets a little homemade soup stock with bone marrow. Next up are liver and strained lamb. We're introducing foods slowly but not really on a schedule. He eats about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of one food at a time, two times a day.

I know it's not a lot of extra calories, but now that he's getting into food (and especially since we're moving towards meats) I feel a lot less stressed about the doctor's emphasis on a lot more ounces of formula every day. He gets about the same amount of formula (24-25 ounces) plus a little extra mixed with the food to smooth it.

He loves to eat and pushes my hand with the spoon closer to his face as I approach. This morning I thought he was starting to understand the sign for "more" because when I stopped with the egg and did it he got really excited. But then I stopped and signed "all done," and he reacted the same way, so I'm guessing he had no idea what I was doing.

What about your littles?
May 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran
We are holding off on solids for just a bit longer....I am hoping to EBF until little guy is 6 months and then start...so one month to go!!! As for the liver and strained lamb...are there particular health benefits to those as first meats versus chicken or beef? Yay for solids!
May 31st, 2013, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parker has just started some carrots, next week we'll go to squash and the week after sweet potatoes. We don't have any schedule, just when he looks hungry but isn't crazy fussing for food we'll give it a go and so far he's been doing great! Can't wait to keep trying more!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

May 31st, 2013, 10:36 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Still EBF here... hoping until at least 6 months

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
June 1st, 2013, 06:20 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Marshall loves food! Some days he gets a tiny bi of oatmeal and a bottle for breakfast as well as 1/2-1 jar of baby food 1-2x a day, other days I skip that but then do 1/2-1 jar of baby food 1-2x a day.

He opens his mouth wide and tries to grab my hand to bring the spoon to his mouth lol it's so funny! There hasn't been a food he won't eat except Avocado.
June 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
We arent making a point of giving her solids yet but if we are making something we give her a little taste of it. She got some fresh avocado when we made guacamole the other day she ate about 2 tablespoons of that, then last night I cut a piece of banana and squished it for her to eat Shes doing really good with it. Shes opens her mouth and leans toward the spoon. We wont make it a point to give her solids everyday for another month or two though.

June 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcorso View Post
We are holding off on solids for just a bit longer....I am hoping to EBF until little guy is 6 months and then start...so one month to go!!! As for the liver and strained lamb...are there particular health benefits to those as first meats versus chicken or beef? Yay for solids!
Meat in general are a better source of heme iron, and liver is the best source. Other foods fortified with iron have non-heme iron, but it's easier for baby to process and get iron from heme sources. Liver is advised for its concentration of iron, and lamb also has high levels and is more easily digested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
Still EBF here... hoping until at least 6 months
If BFing had worked, we would have been doing that, too. So awesome that it's working for you and Baxter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
He opens his mouth wide and tries to grab my hand to bring the spoon to his mouth lol it's so funny!
J does that, too! This morning, though, he shoved the spoon in a little hard and startled himself. It was cute and sad at the same time, poor thing.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.
June 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Still EBF ing until 6 months but I can't wait to start giving him food!

June 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still just breastmilk here. She just turned 4 months and is only now starting to get curious while we eat, but not like she wants some yet. I'll probably start little tastes around 5.5 months.

June 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia has only had oatmeal so far. She seemed to love it the 1st day and then days 2 and 3 not so much......I am going to try another food in a few days maybe banana or avocado.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
June 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Felix has had yams once and he loved them but I havent given them to him again because Im really lazy and it is so much easier to breastfeed. Im switching from part time night shift to full time day shift starting tomorrow though and Im guessing DH will give him solids a little more frequently when Im at work.

June 4th, 2013, 06:10 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
Still mostly BFing, one formula bottle before bed, and occasional tastes of food. We let her chew on carrots for her teething, but she doesn't ingest any. Loves it though! We gave her a piece of avocado, unmashed, the other day. She mouthed it for awhile, but didn't get any (it wasn't very ripe, sort of hard). Today I gave her banana in a mesh feeder, but I didn't mush it up. She mouthed it for awhile and got a tiny bit, but not much.
June 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Marshall loves food! Some days he gets a tiny bi of oatmeal and a bottle for breakfast as well as 1/2-1 jar of baby food 1-2x a day, other days I skip that but then do 1/2-1 jar of baby food 1-2x a day.

He opens his mouth wide and tries to grab my hand to bring the spoon to his mouth lol it's so funny! There hasn't been a food he won't eat except Avocado.
Really? I was going to stat avocado soon too!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
June 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
Evan started cereal at 4 months. Daycare said he was doing ok with it but I never could get him to show much intrest in at home on the weekends. I started him on sweet potatoes on Saturday and he loved them! When he sees the spoon he opens his mouth, cutest thing. Then Monday I gave him peas. he ate 2/3 of what I served. He's pretty tired after daycare so I guess I'll have to wait again till the weekend.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search