Karin and Scooter's First Pregnancy Journal!

Cupcake Commons

Pregnancy Journals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree42Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cupcake Commons LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I think it's time that I start my pregnancy journal. I am still early in my eyes, but right now, I'm feeling that I am writing too much pregnancy stuff in my TTC journal. I hate talking about it over there, and think I should stop and move over here!

Background on me:
My name is Karin, DH is Patrick, we are both 37, and are finally pregnant with our miracle IVF rainbow baby. We got married in Nov 2007, and started TTC our first in Nov 2008. We did everything "right", from charting, temping, OPKs, fertility monitor, all that jazz. I stopped BC in August of 2008, so it took a few cycles for me to regulate, but once I did, my cycles were 27-28 days like clockwork. I always O'ed on CD 12-14. We timed everything perfect most months, and we just didn't understand why it wasn't working. AF showed up right on time every month. After a year of trying, we went to a doctor, regular OB/GYN. We had only moved here just after we got married, so I didn't really have a doctor yet, so we went on a referral from a coworker of DH. I didn't care for him much, nothing I could pinpoint, but he just didn't jive with me. He prescribed a bunch of tests (bloodwork, HSG, etc) and SA for DH. He did the SA, but I wasn't mentally ready to do all the tests yet. We decided to keep trying, and not worry about it. After all, it can take normal couples a year or more to conceive, so we just figured we were a little on the longer side.

Fast forward until 2011. We had kept trying, though I took a long break from charting, thinking that was stressing me out. In April of 2011, AF was 2 days late. That never happens. We were at the Safari Park walking around that day (2 days late), and I saw a teeny spot of blood. I figured that was that and AF was just being tricky that month. But that was it. Sunday, Monday came, no AF. We decided that if AF wasn't there by Wed, we would test. Tuesday afternoon, I bought HPTs. Wed morning, no AF, so we tested (FRER). It was positive. We were thrilled. I called a new doctor (I had been doing a lot of research, and I got accepted into a Perinatologist practice b/c I am older/AMA, and I am adopted so don't know my family history). She wanted to see me at 8wXd (can't remember, maybe like 8w4d) for a scan. The next few weeks were bliss. We were on cloud 9. I was tired, and hungry, and a few cravings had set in. I started taking belly pics and everything. The day before our scan, I wrote in my journal that I didn't feel pregnant anymore. We went in the next day for our first scan, and were so excited. Unfortunately, there was no heartbeat, and the baby was only measuring 7w1d. We were told to come back in 1 week to make sure. We did, they were sure. Baby was measuring the same. We scheduled D&C for a few days later.

We were oddly at peace with it. One thing you will learn about me is that we are fate-ists. We aren't necessarily religious people (though I'm from a pretty religious family), but we strongly believe in fate. We grieved in our own way, and we were sad, but we knew it wasn't meant to be our bean. We moved on pretty quickly, not dwelling on the sad, but moving forward.

To make things harder, right around this same time, my brother and SIL told us they were expecting. They, too, had struggled with infertility (she has PCOS something fierce), and they had been through 1 round of IVF, and on their 3rd round of FET, they conceived). We were so happy for them, but it also awakened something in us. We realized that we may have been in denial about having to seek MA. As the months went by, and my SIL got closer to delivery (her baby shower when she was 7.5 months was brutal), we finally bit the proverbial bullet. We had gotten a referral to a fertility clinic from my perinatologist, and we finally made the call for a consult. Our first meeting was Nov 11, 2011.

We met with the RE, talked a lot, and she ordered a bunch of tests (HSG, bloods, SA for DH, etc.). We did all that, though the testing took more time to schedule due to holiday schedules and such. Finally, in January 2012, we had our follow up appointment. All testing was done, we were ready to chat. DH had pretty normal SA results, though his morph was on the low end at 4%. My HSG was perfect, as were most of my bloods. The only level of mine that was poor was my AMH. It was terribly low at 0.4. For those unfamiliar, it's a measure of egg quality. In a nutshell, i had very few, and very dusty eggs. What did that mean? Our RE said that our best chance of conceiving would be to use IVF with ICSI using DONOR eggs. She wasn't even sure that my eggs would work. She wasn't 100% convinced, though, so she was willing to give it a shot.

As luck would have it, my cycle was just at the right time, so I started Estrace that day. About 10 days later, I went in for another test (SHG = all clear), and we were cleared to start the stims. I stimmed for 10 days on a high dose of Follistim and microHCG, and was monitored via bw and u/s every other day. When we were getting close to triggering, we had only 6 follies, though of decent size. However, my E2 levels had dropped dramatically, meaning that I had started to ovulate on my own, before the trigger. That meant that she had lost control of my cycle, and couldn't guarantee that the retrieval would be successful. We had 2 options: cancel the cycle altogether, or proceed with IUI. We all agreed IUI was the best option, though we all knew it wouldn't work. Sure enough, it didn't work. We weren't surprised.

We were anxious to start round 2. However, my body had other plans. One of my ovaries was "noisy" (i.e. still very large), and we needed to quiet it down before we could start again. I remained on Estrace for about 3 weeks. Finally, we were ready to go. I did a completely different protocol this time, to prevent my body from trying to ovulate on it's own this time. I was on microLupron protocol, plus Follistim and microHCG (almost the highest possible dosages of each). I stimmed for a total of 16 day (ugh), with a minimum of 4 injections a day, usually around 6. It was brutal. Monitoring every other day with bw and u/s. I was growing good follies, though I was a slow responder at first. When we got to trigger, I had 10 follies, of which we thought 7-8 of which would be viable. (Note: early on, the RE said that if she got me to produce 6, she would consider it a small miracle!) We triggered, then went for retrieval.

They got 6 eggs out! We were surprised and thrilled. Of the 6, 5 fertilized via ICSI, and of the 5 that fertilized, 4 continued to grow to transfer day. Of the 4, 1 was absolutely perfect on their grading scale, and 1 was near perfect. The other two were not as good, but not bad. We decided to transfer the 2 great ones on Day 5, and see what the other 2 did on Day 6. We transferred the 2, and on Day 6, the other 2 grew enough to be good enough to freeze! So, as it stands, we have 2 totsicles on ice!

The 2WW was the longest. We had a trip to Vegas planned with our best friends, so that helped pass the time (though I had to take it pretty easy). We are NOT home testers, so we didn't cheat. We waited until our 14 DPR appointment, and I went for my betas. A few days prior to that, I already felt I was pregnant. I was severely out of breath (I'm a former marathon runner) from just walking around, and I was already super tired. We were actually convinced that both embies had taken and I was pg with twins. Lo and behold, the betas came back later that day: 160. I was pregnant. But, we weren't celebrating yet. I wanted the repeat betas to be sure. Two days later, betas came back: 324. Everything was looking perfect. We were to go in at 6w for our first baseline scan.

That was about 10 days ago. We went in on Mon 6/4 for our scan. We were nervous, but within a few seconds, RE said "There's your pumpkin, and there's the heartrate." We were overjoyed. We are to return at 8w for a second scan. That will be this coming Monday.

7w2d
So, that's our story. We are thrilled beyond belief to be here. We feel blessed with the opportunity to be parents to our little Scooter.

Oh, a quick word on the name. There is a lot about me you all need to learn, but in a nutshell, I am an animal lover, especially babies. I am in school studying to become a neonate caregiver (caring for orphaned/baby wild animals). For some reason, to me, all baby animals are called "chickens", and all adult animals are called "friends". Don't know why, just one of my things. In addition, I have/had 3 dogs. All geriatric. When we were in the middle of the 2WW, we lost Molly (16 yrs). She had been very sick for weeks, having ruptured a tendon in her heart. We knew she was on her way out. For some reason, after she got very ill, she became "chicken", too.

When we were trying to come up with a name for bambino, I immediately started calling it "chicken". DH was adamant about NOT calling it that. He felt that it was reserved for baby animals and Molly. We wish we could call it Peanut, but we already have a dog named Peanut! Somehow, DH came up with Scooter. We are a motorcycle riding family, and have 4 of them. He thought that since we have a small adult inside me, it was like a small motorcycle = Scooter! For a week, I called it Scooter Chicken. He fights me every time! Finally, Scooter stuck. Scooter it is!

So, there you have it. We are happy to be here, and I am happy to feel comfortable enough to join this DDC. I joined my last DDC in 2011, and had to leave at 8w. I made some good friends, and I was devastated to leave. I've slowly been getting involved here, and with each day, I feel more and more comfortable.

I think I mentioned this in my intro post, but I am currently still an active host for TTC #1. I am not quite ready to leave my board just yet, and the ladies have "given me permission" to stay on until I am comfortable moving on. My plan is to wait until at least 10w, maybe 12w, and once I know everything is fine, I will resign my hosting position. But for now, I'll be pulling double duty - participating here, and hosting there.

I'll look forward to getting to know everyone in the coming days, weeks, and months. I'm a bit chatty in my journal, so be forewarned!

xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Last edited by kbpeanut; July 15th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
June 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM
One other thing. I know I still have my TTC siggy, and that's mostly so I don't have to hide it every time I post on my TTC board. I will get an updated one soon!

June 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Yay! I'll be stalking this journal religiously, Karin.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
June 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
**sneaks in from TTC#1 to stalk**

Read about Our Journey
Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

June 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM
7w2d Evening Update
I am officially zonked! I went to the Safari Park (sister park to the San Diego Zoo - you will quickly learn I spend most of my free time there, as I am in school studying various zoo related things). I only managed to be there for about 2 hours before I got too tired and hot. It was about 80 and sunny, and I had on jeans, since none of my shorts fit. I rolled them up and such, but they were still hot. And even they don't fit all that well. I was so paranoid about my friends (trainers, behaviorists, keepers) noticing my belly, so I laid pretty low.

After I left, I ran to the post office to mail a friend a book I am lending her, and then to the store. Boy, pregnancy grocery shopping is fun! (Sorry for those of you suffering from m/s right now). I am taking full advantage of the fact that I can eat just about anything right now. I got lots of snacks, and some great things for lunch (thanks to those of you who provided ideas). This week is going to be homemade chicken salad, and paninis!

But for now, I'm wiped. DH is traveling for work, so it's just me and the dogs for the rest of the week. I have left over pizza for dinner, and then it's just me, the dogs, and the couch tonight!

Symptom wise, still bloated, and still tired, but other than that, nothing much.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful night!

xx

June 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Um, I tend to be chatty in mine, too. But they're our journals, and we can say what we want, right?!
kbpeanut likes this.

June 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Stalk stalk stalk

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
June 14th, 2012, 08:33 AM
7w3d
One day closer to Monday!

Man did I get a bad night's sleep. I never sleep well when DH is out of town. I always bring at least 1 dog in bed with me, and for the past 2 nights, Peanut has been waking up in the middle of the night doing the potty or poo poo dance. Last night, he slept all night, but I didn't. I kept waking up to pee, which is normal, but I just never sleep soundly when DH isn't home. I finally got up around 7. Which isn't all that early for me, but not having slept well, I feel like blech. I'm already half done with my first breakfast (bagel and cc), and am already craving my second (organic waffles).

It's sort of a crummy day, weather-wise. It's supposed to be drizzly all day. I normally would take advantage of my break from school to be at the Park, despite the weather (I even usually go in the pouring rain = less crowd!), but today, I think I'm going to hole up inside and chill. I need to get some laundry done, and I have to register for my classes and order books for next term. I have food in the house, and I may just get my stuff done in the morning, and then enjoy a lazy day on the couch this afternoon. I HATE being lazy. Ever since I stopped working, and went back to school, I am NOT the person that sleeps in, lounges around all day. I am up with DH for his work (6am), doing chores, keeping the house in order, etc. In the couple years since I haven't worked, I can count on 1 hand the number of "couch" days I've taken. It's a rare treat, so I can live with it...especially now.

Symptom-wise, I'm pretty much the same. Woke up hungry, no m/s yet though. I am considerably less bloated in the mornings, so I enjoy my belly much more in the morning hours. I did sleep with a sports type bra on last night for the first time. I must say, it made a big difference. The bbs don't bother me when I'm laying down, just when I get up to pee, they hurt bad. The bra helped tremendously. This is a new nighttime routine for me. It's odd feeling, since I'm a birthday suit sleeper, but I'll adjust.

That's about all for me this morning. I'm sure I'll be back later for another, very interesting, update.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday!

xx

June 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
7w3d - PM update
I pooped again today!

That is all.

June 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
7w3d - post dinner update
Just finished dinner, homemade chicken salad. I actually started to make it for lunch, but the chicken was still too warm, and I like my chx salad cold, so I had my dinner for lunch and my chicken salad for dinner. It was yummy, and I managed to limit myself to 1 chicken breast, instead of both, like I really wanted.

Watching Iron Chef (I'm a Food Network junkie), and totally bored. DH is traveling (did I mention that?), and I am flanked on either side by dogs - Max on my right, Peanut on my left. Well, actually Peanut is sort of behind me. And of course, I have to give a shout out to my cute face, Molly, who is resting peacefully on my shelf by my wedding bouquet. We just lost her about 3 weeks ago, and while I'm no longer sad (she was very sick, and old, and it was her time), every time I talk about or write about my dogs, I find it hard to only talk about 2, when I've had 3 for so long. (I got Max and Molly when they were 8 weeks old. Max is now 16y3m, as was Molly when she passed. Peanut is 15y3m, and the product of mistiming Max's separation from Molly during heat. Whoops.)

I feel the need to vent about this series of commercials that are always on the Food Network. I HATE...no LOATHE them. The Truvia commercials. Some lady sings Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in the MOST annoying voice I've ever heard. It seriously makes me cringe.

I literally finished dinner about 4 minutes ago, and I'm already hungry for a snack. I have organic bananas, and 2 teeny plums from the tree in my yard, but I want an orange or grapefruit, and I do not have either. Or I want salt water taffy, and the only flavor we have left is DH's yucky flavors. None of mine. Why? Because I ate it ALL already. Pig.

Nope, pregnant.

I don't feel as pregnant today as I usually do. It worries me a bit, as in my last pregnancy, I wrote in my journal that I didn't feel pregnant anymore the day before my scan when I found out the baby had stopped growing. I'm actually pretty confident that everything is fine, but the anxiety is building as Monday (8w scan) is getting closer.

I had to order yet another refill of my estrogen patches today. Because I have to change them way more frequently than the average person, my insurance will only cover their portion every 28 days. I go through a pack about every 8 days. So, most of the time, I end up paying out of pocket for them. My pharmacy rep is nice, so she always tries to find me coupons or ways to save even a few dollars. Not this time, though. Just have to suck it up. I'm hoping that this may be my last box of the patches. My RE casually mentioned that i would likely be on the patches and the progesterone until I hit 9w. If that's the case, this is my last box of the patches. I have enough progesterone to get me through 9w easy.

DH comes home tomorrow night, not sure what time, I should check. He's only an hour or so flight away, so he should be home at a reasonable hour. We normally get pizza on friday nights (no, we ALWAYS get pizza on friday nights), but we got pizza on Tuesday, since we had just gotten back from vacation and had no food in the house. I've been eating pizza leftovers all week, so I really don't want pizza tomorrow night too.

Ok, enough rambles tonight. Tomorrow, the weather should be nice, and I'm hoping to finish up all the stuff I didn't get done today. At least I got all the laundry done today. Hoping to have a nice, easy, relaxing weekend.

G'night all!

xx

June 14th, 2012, 11:38 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
You accomplished way more than I did today! I need to do laundry DESPERATELY, but it's just not happening. I keep saying this, but MAYBE tomorrow...

Enjoy non-pizza night! DH keeps offering that to me, and I keep having to tell him to stop offering it! I don't want it! I do want watermelon. I'm thinking about going to my grandparents' tomorrow simply because they had one that looked like it was going to be delicious sitting over their AC vent to get it nice and cold. Mmmmm.

June 15th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks, I am looking forward to not having pizza tonight...even though it mentally throws us off. At least if DH still does want pizza (since he didn't eat it all week), both places we order from have plenty of other selections for me if I choose.

7w4d
Scooter Stats
How far along?: 7w4d
Total weight gain/loss: about 5lbs
Maternity clothes?: Not yet, but wearing a lot of elastic pants.
Stretch marks?: None yet.
Best moment this week: Pooped 3 days in a row. A little less tired in the afternoons.
Miss anything: A glass of chardonnay at night to unwind.
Movement: Zip.
Food cravings: Everything bagels w/veggie cream cheese. Potato chips.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Not really. Not digging the thought of red meat though.
Have you started to show yet: Just massive bloating.
Labor Signs: None
Belly Button in or out?: In! Please stay that way.
Wedding rings on or off?: On.
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy for the most part, but moody in spurts.
Looking forward to: Monday 6/18, 8w scan!

The details and life stuff:
First, and of the utmost importance, I pooped AGAIN this morning. For the 3rd day in a row! It wasn't fun, and it wasn't easy, but I got the duty (doody?) done. I think pregnancy gives us constipation so we are prepared for pushing out a small human.

I had a craptastic night sleep last night. I was watching a movie that went from 9-11, so figured, I would go to bed around 10, watch the rest there. I thought I for sure would fall asleep. No such luck. At the end of the movie, still wide awake. Then I got sucked into the movie that was on after it (neither were anything special, just some made for TV dramas). Sure enough, when that ended at 1am, I'm still wide awake. This is coming from the girl who can't stay awake past 830pm! I always have difficulty sleeping when DH is traveling, but this was far worse than usual. I ended up watching whatever until about 2am, then finally taking off my glasses and trying to force myself to fall asleep. I dozed off around 330 I think, only to wake up at 6ish, to Max whining downstairs. He wanted out, but mostly he is blind and deaf, and I think he wakes up scared each morning, forgetting that he can't see or hear. He's also 16, so it's also just some old man noises. I let him out, then came back to bed, where Peanut was sleeping soundly on DHs pillow. (Peanut is 15, and I let him sleep with me when DH travels. I don't trust Max not to fall off the bed at night, so he stays downstairs in his room).

I laid there, awake, until about 8, and finally got up. Mostly because I was starving. So now I'm exhausted. Lucky for me, I can take a nap later.

DH surprised me by catching an early flight home today! He was supposed to land around 5, which is good enough in itself, but he got done early, and since there are flights about every hour from San Fran to SD, he caught a noon flight, landing him home at 130. Super awesome! I foresee an afternoon on the couch in our pjs watching movies. A very rare treat indeed.

I already ate breakfast (everything bagel w/veggie cc), and I'm hungry again. I don't feel that I "need" to eat right now, so I'm going to hold off on second breakfast. I might have a few grapes or a banana to tide me over though. Or a plum that I picked off my tree.

This weekend, no plans. Our dads both live 3000 miles away in the Chicago area, so we don't celebrate. I usually send them both chocolate covered strawberries, and I have forgotten to do this, so need to check and see if I still can without paying exorbitant Saturday shipping fees. We also need to do some gardening. We've been struggling with rabbits and snails for some time now. And DH tried to transplant our overgrown tomato plant and killed it. So we need new tomatoes, and we need to put our bunny fence back up. It was good without it for a while, as it was only the snails, but all of a sudden, the bunnies came back in full force. Bunny fence shall be moved from the side of the house to the garden tomorrow. Then we have to replant the lettuce (all plants of both varieties -- romaine and buttercrunch -- are eaten), and our soybeans (non existent). We do have our first bell pepper starting to grow too, so want to get that protected before a bunny notices. Other than that, nothing.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday, and a super weekend!
xx

June 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love that youve started your DDC journal Karin, I will definately be stalking it from TTC#1
kbpeanut likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

June 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kept waiting for you to start your journal in grads! Glad you see you finally feel comfortable starting a journal! I just know Scooter is your forever baby.
kbpeanut likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Bet it feels good not to have to hide your siggy on my stuff anymore, eh? Thanks for the drop-in!

June 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, but for your sake that you're at the point of starting a pregnancy journal!

June 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
7w4d - Afternoon Edition
I just inadvertantly started a project that I do not have any sort of time or energy to do right now, but ugh, it's so fun! I went looking for pictures of my Molly (my dog that we lost 3 weeks ago), and since she was so old, many of her early pictures are printed, since I didn't have a digital camera back then. So, I pulled out a huge rubbermaid tote of photos, and while looking for pics of my girl, now I'm all into sorting through ALL the pics. I started this about 7 years ago, and put it away, never to return to it again.

Until today.

Ugh. So much work, but it's so fun to look at old pictures!

Also, remember how I mentioned that DH took an early flight home? Ya, well, he did, then went into work. I think I would have preferred he take his original flight, at which point in time, he would not have gone into work. Ugh.

Oh well, more time to work on my stooopid project.

One more interesting note - I only had 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, and 1 snack today. Not bad, not bad.

June 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I am so glad you feel confident in starting a pregnancy journal, Karin! I also love the multiple mentions of pooping. Where else do you cheer about pooping?!
blueeyes25s likes this.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

My Belly Pics
June 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyLee View Post
Where else do you cheer about pooping?!
I know, right? I think a while back, and I can't remember to what it was referring, but Crystal said we need to have a :browncheer:

I'm all for the :browncheer: today!
VikingMamma likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Haha, I remember that. Maybe in Adrienne's journal? I know she had pretty bad issues with that. Sorry, Adrienne
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!