Day 1 of potty training

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
kmbaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Jake woke up, I took his diaper off and set out his potty. I explained the whole "When you have to pee...., etc." So I kept asking him if he had to go, and he'd sit on it and say he was trying to pee. I told him that if he peed in the potty he could have an ice pop. So a little while goes by, and he actually did a little bit of pee So of course out came the ice pop and a TON of praise. Well......he must not have emptied his bladder because he was sitting in the recliner eating the pop when he peed all in the chair!

I didn't get angry as I know he probably just got distracted by the hoopla over him peeing in the potty. The conversation continued with "Where do you need to pee? NOT on Daddy's chair, in the potty."

About 30 minutes goes by and I see him looking as if he needed to poop. So I quickly said "Go poop in your potty!!" He immediately ran over and totally pooped in the potty!

I was sooooooooo amazed that he was doing so well for day 1 of training! But, later on when I took a shower he peed on the futon in his bedroom. I took that as my cue to put a pull up on him. I was getting tired of cleaning up pee on the upholstry.

So overall I think the first day went well, but how to you get them to not pee on your carpet or furniture???? I feel like I am dealing with a dog like Marcie!!!!

May 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great job Jake! I think getting pee on your furniture is all a part of potty training and there's not much you can do about it. Until he's really ready to start telling you he needs to go you could just leave him in a pullup and just take it off and sit him on the potty periodically like every hour or so. Good luck!
May 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not bad for a first day Kelly! WTG Jake and mama! I guess he was just marking his territory! Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

May 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
LOL LL.

WTG Jake!!!!! He sounds like he did GREAT for his first day!!! I agree, just leave a pull-up on him during the day until he's fully potty trained.
May 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Jake is going to catch on pretty quickly! But I know what you mean, I feel like when I try to have Jude in underwear I am asking him every 10 minutes if he has to go....just like with the dog! And Jude will do the same thing go a little bit, then later pee all over the kitchen chair. I do think they get busy with something else and completely forget. They are so use to just going as soon as they have to.

Yay Jake!! Keep us posted!!
May 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for having a rather successful first day! That's great! I agree with Carla that pee on the floor/furniture is often part of the process... unfortunately! Thatcher hasn't peed on the floor (to my knowledge, anyway), but he has the lovely tendency of peeing in his potty (which is in the living room), and then emptying the bowl (i.e., the pee) onto the floor, or into a toy, into the CATS' WATER DISH, etc! ICK! I think we FINALLY got through to him, though, and hopefully that's a thing of the past... fingers crossed!

He didn't have any accidents until day 5 of PTing, and then he pooped on the floor. It was nasty, but I know it was an accident. It takes time to get full control of the bladder and bowels, so it's bound to happen. It seems like different methods work for different kids, though. I know a lot of people keep pull-ups on their kid during the day. With Thatcher, though, if I put him in a pull-up, he'll use it (rather than the potty)! We've had the best luck by putting him in undies all day, which inevitably come off and he ends up running around bare-bottomed most of the day! I swear the child has spend the majority of the past 3 weeks butt-naked!

I think that Jake just needs time to learn to recognize the signs that he's about to pee so he can run to the potty in time. It also takes time to learn how to hold it in till he can get there... he'll get it, though. When I put Thatcher in his big boy undies, I make a huge deal about reminding him that he canNOT peepee in his undies. We also used the "treat" method, and gave him a marshmallow every time he used the potty for the first week or so, so that really inspired him to sit on the potty alllll the time... he wanted that marshmallow!

Funny story, which I may have already shared: Shortly after we started PTing, Thatcher was with me in a dressing room while I tried on a swimsuit. When I pulled the bikini bottom up over my undies, he started YELLING, "No peepee in undies, Mommy!" over and over! Loud enough for half the store to hear, I'm sure.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search