Age appropriate chores?

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What chores are on your little ones list?? Do you think it is appropriate to have chores at this age? Here are some of Charlotte's but I need a couple more- any ideas would be great!

Seperate laundry into piles (dark light ect)
Pick up all the toys in the play room into a basket
Set the table
Dust the furniture

TIA!!
May 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
dishes. snow shoveling. floor and tub scrubbing. wood chopping so we can stock up for the winter...

Hazel doesn't have may chores other than picking up after herself and clearing her place setting after dinner. As long as she doesn't mess stuff up and make more work for us, I'm happy!
May 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
~ Liz ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~ Liz ~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ Liz ~
Quote:
dishes. snow shoveling. floor and tub scrubbing. wood chopping so we can stock up for the winter...[/b]

Kaitlyn AND Emily pick up after themselves. Kaitlyn helps me load and unload the dishwasher aaand when I sweep Kaitlyn holds the dustpan. She also has her own lightweight bagless vacuum that she uses while I use the big one.

Honestly, none of the above are required chores except cleaning up their toys.
May 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
dishes. snow shoveling. floor and tub scrubbing. wood chopping so we can stock up for the winter...[/b]
LMBO!

Thatcher doesn't have daily required chores, but he does help out a bit. It's a given that he's supposed to clean up his toys, which thankfully he usually enjoys. He also LOVES to help feed the kitties. I can't remember: Do you have pets, Rebecca? Thatcher loves filling the cat feeder with dry food. He does it every chance he gets.

He has a Junior Dust Buster, and sometimes he uses that to clean up the kitty food that gets scattered around the cats' feeding area. Come to think of it, though, I haven't seen that Dust Buster in awhile. Hm, wonder where that went...

He also likes to help take out the trash, but he really just trails along behind us, carrying some small item that we give him so he feels like he's helping. Same thing with getting the mail. Obviously we're not going to let him go outside and get it himself, but he likes to come with us and carry one or two items back inside from the mailbox.

I like the idea of having him separate dark and light clothing! Thanks for the idea. Thatcher always wants to help carry clothes from the hamper to the laundry, but he ends up grabbing all sorts of stuff, like clothes that aren't dirty, etc. It would help keep him occupied if I gave him a more specific job to do during laundry time.

May 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the idea of taking out the trash. We keep our recycling outside but within the gate so I think that is what I will add to her list. She can take out the recycle and the compost trash. Great idea Anne- thank you!
May 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm of the opinion that if you're old enough to mess it up, you're old enough to clean it up. (Except diapers and bottles of course! I mean kids who are old enough to walk and follow simple instructions.) Ben puts his clothes in the dirty basket immediately, puts his dishes in the sink when he's done, cleans up spills, picks up toys, helps unload the dishwasher (only because he can't reach to LOAD the dishwasher), helps toss things into the washer on laundry day ... you name it. He does it. He's also "daddy's little helper" outside. He has two potted plants that are completely his responsibility to water. He helps pull weeds in the garden. He WATCHES dh do the mowing/edging/etc (because those things are obviously too big and dangerous for now, but by watching, he'll learn how to do it for later). I dunno... he pretty much helps with everything.
May 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
She cleans her toys up and brings her dirty clothes to the washing machine. She also helps load the washer.
May 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to joy3445
Maleina feeds the kitties every morning, helps me pick up her toys and her little brother's toys, and she likes to help vaccuum. She also wants to help with the dishwasher, but we haven't tried that yet. I do let her help cook sometimes too by putting things I've chopped into bowls that I can then put into the pot/pan. She really likes that.

She is also really good about bringing a diaper or wipes for her brother if I need it.

May 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that if you're old enough to mess it up, you're old enough to clean it up.[/b]

Kira is even responsible for putting her own diapers in the diaper pail.

She doesn't have a list of chores, per se, but she is responsible for cleaning up after herself and participating in any small chores that I ask her to lend a hand with. I think that age-appropriate chores teach kids SOOOO much. Not just about tidying up, but about responsibility, relationships with others, and so on.

May 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ethan LOVES to help me out. If I'm dusting....he dusts (with a wipe ). He'll collect the garbage, throw things in the garbage. Loves to load the dryer up with clothes. But it's a hit and miss with picking up his toys/books.
May 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
*Jessie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Jessie*
Ahren...

Cleans up toys after he is done

Puts clothes in hamper when he gets dressed or gets ready for bed

Cleans up crayons when done coloring

Dusts table (with a wipe )

That is about it so far. BUT, he is a total neat freak. He freaks out if he gets the littlest bit dirty or if the room is a mess. I wonder where he gets that from??!!!

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautiful tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt form making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my nails from helping weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search