The cost of things

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
KnKMom's Avatar Divorced, working mom
Send a message via Yahoo to KnKMom
Marie's circus thread and Karin's post in it got me thinking.......

Next month we are going out of town to take Kaeli to "A Day Out With Thomas" and tickets are $18 a person for ages 2 and up. Yes, that's right....it is going to cost almost $60 for my family of 4 to take a 25 minute ride on Thomas. There are other activities there too, though I am sure what you are really paying for is the ride. And not only that but we are driving 3 hours to do it and staying in a hotel for the weekend. Yep, we are crazy, but the look on Kaeli's face when she sees Thomas will make it all worth every penny!
May 26th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hear ya, Andrea.

We're looking at taking Kira to Sea World this summer to see REAL. LIVE. PENGUINS. The child is going to go bonkers. (They have a FL resident special where you buy tickets for one day and can return for the rest of the year for free. So if we take her this summer and she likes it, we'll take her back for her birthday.) FL resident tickets to Sea World are around $70/adult. Ouch...But I'd rather pay $70 for what amounts to a year-long pass to Sea World than pay $25/adult for a local botanical garden or butterfly sanctuary...something that takes up a part of an afternoon and offers pretty limited entertainment. It's a shame because I love local attractions like that, but it's really just not worth that amount of money to me.

May 26th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Isn't it crazy!!! But sooo worth it when you see their little face light up!
May 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate that gas has gone up so much. We used to go somewhere new every month- sometimes twice a month. Now we think long and hard before we go anywhere. It is a real shame for the kids and me. I worry alot about money (and everything eles) so it reduces a lot of the fun. Good for you for going such fun places for the kids. I know that when we go somewhere that they love I always think it is so well worth it!
May 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
*Jessie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Jessie*
Quote:

Next month we are going out of town to take Kaeli to "A Day Out With Thomas" and tickets are $18 a person for ages 2 and up. Yes, that's right....it is going to cost almost $60 for my family of 4 to take a 25 minute ride on Thomas. There are other activities there too, though I am sure what you are really paying for is the ride. And not only that but we are driving 3 hours to do it and staying in a hotel for the weekend. Yep, we are crazy, but the look on Kaeli's face when she sees Thomas will make it all worth every penny! [/b]

We are going too Andrea!! What day are you going? We are going that Saturday at 4pm (I wanted later so that we could take our time getting out there...it is 90 minutes from us).

It is kind of expensive (it ended up being over $100 for our family of 5), but like you said SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it for the kids. Ahren is going to FLIP OUT (in a good way)!!!

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautiful tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt form making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my nails from helping weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley
May 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
nadine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to nadine
It may cost you a couple hundred, but I hope Kaeli and your whole family has a couple thousand $ worth of fun!!

Quote:
I hear ya, Andrea.

We're looking at taking Kira to Sea World this summer to see REAL. LIVE. PENGUINS. The child is going to go bonkers. (They have a FL resident special where you buy tickets for one day and can return for the rest of the year for free. So if we take her this summer and she likes it, we'll take her back for her birthday.) FL resident tickets to Sea World are around $70/adult. Ouch...But I'd rather pay $70 for what amounts to a year-long pass to Sea World than pay $25/adult for a local botanical garden or butterfly sanctuary...something that takes up a part of an afternoon and offers pretty limited entertainment. It's a shame because I love local attractions like that, but it's really just not worth that amount of money to me.[/b]
What a great deal that is!!! Especially if you live within reasonable driving distance! We have a Sea World in San Antonio so I'm going straight to the website to see if they have the same deal here.

May 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
KnKMom's Avatar Divorced, working mom
Send a message via Yahoo to KnKMom
Quote:
Quote:

Next month we are going out of town to take Kaeli to "A Day Out With Thomas" and tickets are $18 a person for ages 2 and up. Yes, that's right....it is going to cost almost $60 for my family of 4 to take a 25 minute ride on Thomas. There are other activities there too, though I am sure what you are really paying for is the ride. And not only that but we are driving 3 hours to do it and staying in a hotel for the weekend. Yep, we are crazy, but the look on Kaeli's face when she sees Thomas will make it all worth every penny! [/b]

We are going too Andrea!! What day are you going? We are going that Saturday at 4pm (I wanted later so that we could take our time getting out there...it is 90 minutes from us).

It is kind of expensive (it ended up being over $100 for our family of 5), but like you said SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it for the kids. Ahren is going to FLIP OUT (in a good way)!!!
[/b]
We are going Saturday too....I think at 1 pm. Well actually we are driving to Green Bay Friday night and then Saturday we will do the Thomas thing and some swimming at the hotel and maybe a little shopping and then Sunday we are going to spend the day at the zoo (where Dads get in free in honor of Father's Day and kids 2 and under are free, so it will cost only $5 for my family!) before heading home. Green Bay is about a 3 hour drive for us- all on state highways- a little too far for a day trip but perfect for a weekend getaway!

It would be so awesome if we ran into you guys there!
May 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
That sounds like so much fun!!! But wow, the price is incredible! It's always so worth the looks on your kid's face though.
May 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM
*Jessie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Jessie*
I bet we could just "happen" to run into each other Andrea!!! B)

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautiful tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt form making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my nails from helping weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley
May 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
~*Melanie*~
Everything is so expensive, but I am sure Kaeli is going to love it! I can't wait to see pics!

We are taking Alexis to Sesame Place and the tickets are $47.50 a piece, including adults, so we are going to spend so much money! It's crazy, but in the end it will be worth it, I know she is going to have a blast!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search