We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I'm cross posting this to a couple of boards, so if you see this elsewhere, is why For those NOT in the May06DDC, I'm 35 weeks 3 days today, or something like that. I had two contraction episodes over the weekend, one on Friday night last lasted an hour and a half, one on Sunday that lasted an hour and produced a large chunk of my plug. These were pretty real contractions, pressure and back pain right along with, and about 3-5 minutes apart each time...but I always managed to get them to stop. Well, last night I started another round...and here's the rest of the story
So last night I started having contractions again. Once again, I decided to wait them out. Friday's and Sunday's bout each only lasted an hour, maybe an hour and a half. These were pretty uncomfortable, considering they were concentrated in my back. Ugh, I dont want to go through another back labor. Anyway, finally about 11ish Erik says (half asleep in bed) that he'd feel better if I called the doctor. So, I do...and tell him they've been going on about 3 hours, etc. and so forth. We went over everything and he said to go to the hospital...because we had to check and see if they were real contractions and doing something or not. So, I call my mom and get her on her way to our house, and Erik hops in the shower.
We get there around 11:30-midnight (don't remember exact time right now), and they were, of course, expecting me because the doc called ahead. They took me to a L&D room and started hooking me up to the moniters. We go through the big huge speal of health history while they chart my contractions for a while. The contractions look irritable, jumpy and sporadic for the most part. Fairly regular timewise, at about a minute and a half apart. The nurse checks me for dilation; I'm at nearly a two and 50% effaced. She goes to call the doc around 12:30, and as she leaves the room my contractions suddenly start becoming more 'significant'....looking less like an irritable uterus and more like labor. When she comes back she comments on them, saying it's probably good, then, that they are taking the route they are.
Being as I'm only "35 weeks" (still say that's off), they've decided to stop my labor with terbutiline, and give me a litre of IV fluids (lovely, I hate IV's). She tells me that the side effects of the terb are rapid heart rate and shakiness. I think, hey, that's just like my asthma meds, no problem...*LOL* Boy was I wrong. Anyway, she gives me the shot of terb and then ATTEMPTS to start the IV. Yes, I did say ATTEMPT. I have GREAT veins for IV's and blood draws, but I personally dont handle them well, unless they are done REALLY well. So, anyway, she sticks the needle in, and I'm expecting the usual beesting followed by not so much bad....but it didn't happen, it was bad pain...and then I started shaking. And when I say shaking, I mean my whole body shook from head to foot. The terb kicked in REALLY fast, and I start shaking uncontrollably all over. It was awful. I heard the nurse say "IT's gonna burst", and then she was pressing on the spot that she'd attempted to put the IV in, with the IV catheter laying next to my hand.
The nurse got me water because I was practically begging for it, I was breathing like I was in labor because I fel soooo lightheaded from the combo of anxiety of the IV and the shakes of the terb. She then called IV therapy and had them come up and put in the IV. Once again, it wasn't as short as a bee sting, but they managed to get it in and keep it in. I was then given the go-ahead to sleep if I wanted. AT this point it was 1:30 AM, and I had to stick around for 2 hours to see what happened with my contractions. The worst of the terb had worn off by this point and I wasn't shaking...and I started having extremely 'mild', but very long and pressure-filled contractions for about an hour....and then even those slacked off. So, at 3:30AM we were released telling me to keep my appt. for Thursday, and giving me instructions of when to call sooner if I needed to, and a pamphlet on preterm labor. I was told they would prefer I keep this baby in for 2 more weeks...but if it didn't happen, it didn't. I'm supposed to do only what I absolutely HAVE to do to take care of Molly, and the rest of the time drink TONS....(she was saying like 16-24 oz every hour....I can't do that...), or at least more than I have been, a LOT more...and then just rest. *sighs* I'm getting sick of those orders *LOL*
So, that was my fun trip to L&D. I wouldn't reccommend terb to ANYONE. Oh, that was horrible. However, I did get a chance to make my wishes known that I not receive Nubain, that I receive Stadol instead, and there wasn't a problem with it...so that makes me happy that it will be taken care of. OH, and I also found out something wonderful....Medicaid will cover a tubal as long as I have a form signed in the doctor's office beforehand!!! Guess I'm getting the surgery this year and not Erik!
Wow! What an ordeal. I can't believe your close to delevering. Our babies are turning one and your about to pop out another. It seems like just yesterday you found out you were pregnant and past the half way mark. Where does the time go. Keep us updated. We will want to see pictures when she gets here. Good luck and keep that baby in a bit longer.