Where I am.....not such a good place. What do you think?

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
nadine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to nadine
This is one big long downer with a question.

I have been sick in bed since Friday afternoon. I have only left the bed to pee and to go to the doctor on Saturday morning and this (Tuesday) morning. My temps have ranged from 100.5-103 continuously. My left eye is pink and swollen so that it looks like half the size of the right one. (I don't have pink eye...no oozing, just a bit and it looks like crap.) My glands in my neck are so swollen you can see them from across the room. My tonsils are covered in the most disgusting, color-changing crap you can imagine. Yesterday it was gray, today it is yellow chalk colored...you can barely see the tonsils beneath.

The strep tests have come back negative. The yeast test negative. They think it's some funky virus that may last through next week.

I have laid in a quarantined room, regularly taking tylenol, advil, vicodin, and antibiotic. Forcing water down and occasionally slurping chicken soup.
Haven't really interacted with the girls since Friday...but just hear Eden crying and screaming her head off with whoever is trying to take care of her. Been begging family members to help take care of the girls.
Supposed to leave this weekend for Atlanta but I am at least a week behind in getting ready.

ANYWAY. that's where I've been. I've felt like such crap I can't even come on to lurk.

So that sucks. I have been sick more in the last 16 months than I have been in the last two decades combined.
I have had strep 4 times. The Flu, a stomach flu, pneumonia, a couple viruses, severe sinus infection, and now this. In the past 6 months I've had all be 3 of the streps.
And when I've been sick, it hasn't just been a I feel crappy slow moving kind of thing. They've all been where I've had high fevers and knocked out in bed for at least 3-4 days.

So I brought in this list to my doctor and said I was concerned about the big picture....why am I getting sick so much. She told me there was no big picture. Just bad luck. Although I am sick now, there are no underlying causes.

And that was that. And so I was in tears. I know that I eat healthier than the average American, I have been getting plenty of sleep, I moderately exercise, and I am not depressed or stressed. I know you could argue that I was under a lot of stress earlier this year with my change in vocation...but I seriously feel great and strong inside but have been sick 3 times since that was all done with.

My question is....is that just that? My doctor said nothing's wrong so I just finish my antibiotics and am on my merry way? I know FOR SURE that if I get sick again I am going to a different doctor. I'll get another general practioner / primary. I CAN'T STAND all business, "get out of here, you're fine" type of doctors. For some reason I felt like a foolish little girl talking to her. And if it has to do w/throat again, I'll also go to an ENT.

I guess my questions are: What would you do? At what threshold do you think something else is going on? Am I unreasonably upset with this doctor? And honestly, if it is just bad luck, what the heck can I do to stop it??? Any other thoughts?

I am BEYOND sick of being sick. It doesn't help that things fall apart when I'm not at the helm. It's like for everyone else, just babysitting the girls is enough. (now I'm getting ungrateful too. crap.)

Last bit of info: it is extremely difficult for me to go to the doctor because I always have this fear that I'll be really sick and they'll just say nothings wrong. Get back to work!!!! When I was a young girl I had a string of headaches. I don't remember if they were real or not. Both my parents took me to the doctor. The doctor told my parents that I was faking and there was nothing wrong with me. My parents were angry with me and they told my teacher who was also dismissive of me. I had a hard time convincing them if I ever didn't feel well. I know that's silly and it happened when I was in 2nd grade but some things really mark you in strange ways. And so today I was crying when she told me, "there's no big picture here to consider." because I irrationally thought she said I was fine....and somehow all these days I've spent sick in bed this year weren't real.

Blahhhh....again I apologize for the downers. I need some honest support. Thanks!!

Last edited by nadine; May 25th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
May 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nadine, I'm sorry you have been feeling so crappy for so long and that you've been so sick so often. I would also be wondering if there was some scary underlying cause...but maybe you have just been unlucky, or maybe your body just isn't getting time to fully recover from one thing before you get exposed to the next bug and so in your weakened state you are more likely to get sick? In any event, if you are not comfortable with your doctor of course you should consider switching. You don't have to give any reason. I have switched doctors before just because for whatever reason I didn't feel comfortable and I have never regretted switching. Hope you are feeling much better soon!!!

May 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Nadine, I am so sorry you are so sick!!! You are absolutely right to be concerned. It's NOT normal for someone that lives a healthy life to be so sick so much. I hate those types of doctors too. When I was going through my health issues last year, I was so scared that I was going to encounter those types. It took me so much nerve to just GO to the doctors. I was terrified that they would dismiss something (which could have been serious)....and out of fear, I wouldn't go back. It's so funny that you mention the story about when you were a child and your headaches. When I was about the same age, I had horrible dizzy spells. I still do have dizzy spells. Well, my mom kept taking me to doctors. I remember the last one she took me to told her (in front of me) that I was faking it....probably to just get meds (give me a break...I was like 9/10).

I think it would be wise to get a second opinion. Even if it's just for peace of mind. (((HUGS)))

May 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nadine, you sound absolutely miserable! You poor thing! And to have the big move so soon too, you must be stressing. So hubby is looking after the girls? Or is he away? Are you feeling better, or at least well enough to see them yet?

I am wondering if you have considered seeing a naturopath or homeopath. If you took your list to someone who understands natural medicine I am positive they wouldn't brush you off and would try to uncover the underlying problems. Do you take a probiotic at all? They are great for intestinal health but also the benefits you get from having healthy 'intestinal flora' are benefits to the whole body. Also, antibiotics can wreak havoc on your body by getting rid of any and all good bacteria along with the nasty bacteria - probiotics can help to replace the good stuff.

I quite honestly have little to no faith in modern doctors and am very cautious about modern medicine and only go if I have to. They are usually just concerned about a quick fix and making you feel better, just dealing with the symptoms and not the real issue. I usually try to diagnose myself and then get a natural remedy to fix it.

Take care girl, hope you get some rest and feel better asap. I really feel for you!
May 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carla totally said what I was going to. Also, some alternative medicine Dr.s are actually MD's my acupuncturist is, and she used to feel my pulses on my wrist, and would be like do you have a cold? and I would say no, she would "oh, ok", and the next morning I would be sick as a dog because my body knew I was sick before the symptoms showed.

Just wanted to add, that this past year I've been sick more too, nothing awful, but I feel like I'm always sick. I chalk it up to Gretchen bringing stuff home from school, and I don't practice sanitation very well with my kids.
May 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You should play around with this website. I absolutely LOVE IT (even if it's not very user-friendly). Use the multiple symptom checker. Even docs can be wrong. They're not gods. Wrong Diagnosis

I hope you're feeling better soon. It DOES seem weird that you'd be sick all of a sudden unless stress is a factor. Have you had your 24 hour cortisol levels tested?
May 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
megpie
Wow, Nadine! I'm so sorry you going through this. Your instinct is already telling you to switch doctors. I would switch now. You want a dr that is going to validate you and your symptoms.
Feel better SOON!!!! HUGS!!!
May 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
~*Melanie*~
I agree Nadine-- go ahead and switch Doctor's. You need to see someone you trust and that you can share everything with, if you are holding back then this Dr. isn't the right one for you.

I hope you feel better soon, I'm thinking of you!
May 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
thanks everyone for your care and suggestions.
i am not up to a full post of responses. i went back today for blood tests for various viruses like epstein barr (oh lord, please no mono!!!!!!!! i CANNOT have something that hangs on for another day!!!!! ). definitely switching doctors.

May 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I DEFINTELY think you need a doctor switch! I am glad you are getting more labs to check more out. I like Carla's idea about a homeopath as well. I have another though too though. Does your insurance require referrals? If not and you don't havet to wait to get your new pcp, you could go see an Infectious Disease doctor. It is there job to figure things like this out! They will NOT laugh at you and make you feel like you are making something out of nothing-which angers me SOOOOOOOOoo much that a doctor would treat you like you didn't know what you are talking about-ridiculous. You know your body best and YOU are gonna have to do a little work to get things straight if you don't have a dr on your side who is willing to help you figure it out.

We sought out an infectious disease doctor when Sydney had her recurrent strep infections and then mono. They took an EXTREMELY detailed history and did a whoooooooooooollllllllllllle boatload of labs. We learned through her titers labs she hadn't built up her immunity for her pnemoncocal immunizations so she had to have a booster and repeat labs. My point is, without that, we wouldn't have known that and that immunization is responisble for giving her antibodies for MANY common infections.

I am so so sorry things have been so rough for you Nadine. I cannot imagine being so sick and confined to bed. I am sure this is not only physically hard on you but emotionally as well! Please let us know what you are able to do with the doctor situation and with Atlanta. TAKE CARE OF YOU or everything else will fall apart too!!!!

We love you Nadine!

May 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Nadine...I had no idea you had/have been so ill for so long! Being ill is so hard when you have kids who depend on you. I would def be looking into a new doctor, you need someone on your side, not brushing you off. That's awful. I really hope you find someone good....and that you start feeling better soon. Sending you some feel good vibes!!!!!!
May 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first thought was it has to be mono! Not sure if a strep test would have been positive though, b/c I think you usually do have strep with mono. Uhg. Nadine, I feel SO bad for you! How miserable...and to have already been so sick on and off. I hope this gets figured out soon and you can get some type of treatment and feel better. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

HUGS
May 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK, I wrote a reply to this thread yesterday and now it's gone! I would absolutely swith doctors!!!!! I'm glad they are doing more tests. Def. not normal to be sick so much!! Hope you are feeling better soon--- HUGS!!!!

May 30th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Quickest of updates -- Thursday my fever broke for good but I still felt like crap. I'm doing well now -- almost bac to normal except still some swollen tonsils and my eye is still swollen and draining. Still waiting for test results and PRAYING for a healthy summer for all.

June 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I hope that you are better now and that it (whatever it is) never ever comes back. I would seek naturopathic medicine and definately a different medical Dr.

June 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you're still feeling better, Nadine. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been sick so much.

I echo everything everyone else has already said. YES - Definitely time for a new doctor! Your doc should always be on your side, and if you feel that there is a bigger, underlying cause for what you're experiencing, then that should be reason enough for your doc to take a little extra time and effort to help you figure out what is wrong with you - Even if it is only the SECOND time you've been sick in a year, let alone the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth...

I think if I was in your position, I would be just as concerned as you are. It certainly does sound like either a) there is another, undiagnosed cause of these bouts of sickness, or b) there is something compromising your immune system. And I understand your fear of doctors dismissing your concerns and complaints. The same sort of thing happened to me when I was younger and dealt with several years of intense pain that kept me out of school, unable to socialize or participate in activities, etc. Fortunately, my parents breezed right past the first round of doctors who told them that I was a hormonal teenager seeking attention, and were able to help me find some relief, treatment, alternative ways to live my life, and eventually a diagnosis. Those early experiences, though, have affected the way I interact with doctors now - Not just for myself but for my kids, too.

Anyway, I hope you are still feeling okay. Please update again soon. I'll be thinking about you.

June 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
megpie
I was thinking about you yesterday, Nadine! Any updates? Hope you are back to normal now!
June 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we need a Nadine update!!! I hope you are feeling great these days and out and about, livin' it up!! Thinking of you-

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search