still peeing in pants and in pull ups at night??

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 5YO, Conner still pees in his pants during the day and sleeps in a pull up at night....does anyone else have this problem? He knows how to go to the bathroom, he just chooses not to when he's busy playing. He loves his silly bandz so I've been taking them away 10 at a time and it's somewhat worked until the last couple days he started again, so last night I told him the next time he did it I was going to take them all, and here they all sit in my room! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get him to stop doing this?
Also, I don't know how to night train him to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...he still wears a pullup to bed. We've tried waking him up in the middle of the night and taking him to the bathroom and it doesn't work...he still peed in his underwear. I need help with this. I feel like he is old enough to not be wearing pullups anymore, but I just don't know what to do. His best friend is 4 and he doesn't wear pullups to sleep. Is there something wrong with him? ANY help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

June 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
mylittleladies's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well during the day my advice would be to tell him to go to the bathroom before he starts playing and every hour or two, or at least ask him if he has to go, kind of like when they where first being potty trained. Amanda has peed in her pants a couple of times too when she is playing outside, I think she is having to much fun to come inside, which is worse than not going to the bathroom because she still needs to come inside to change, she does not like having peed clothes on.

At night I don't know other than having him not drink anything for a while before going to bed and using the bathroom. Amanda still pees once or twice a month at night. But I have a plastic mattress cover that I put on around x-mas when I decided to stop buying pull-ups, they are expensive.

June 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
We started night training by putting him in undies and putting a pull up in his room. he would change into the pull up when he had to pee. then we started taking the night time pull up out of his room and it worked. And not giving him anything to drink after a certain hour at night might help(if he gets a drink before bed)
June 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Isabella has accidents during the day sometimes, if she is really busy...but awhile ago I told her I wasn't going to clean her anymore when she did that. So when it happens now, she puts her wet underwear and pants in the bathtub, gets a washcloth, washes herself and gets redressed....she hates to do all this so I think it reminds her to go more often. As far as at night, she has been dry over night since around 2.5 years....but we limit liquids after 7 pm too. If you already limit liquids, you might talk to your peditrition to see if he/she has other suggestions.
June 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
We don't limit liquids and it's because he's always been such a big drinker...he always seems to be thirsty and I don't feel right depriving him of water. Now, that kinda sounded bad, we do limit, but we don't take away. He'll sometimes ask for water right before bed and I get him maybe an ounce of water, if that, just so it'll wet his mouth basically. We were just putting him in underwear at night and waking him up like i said in my previous post, but when he peed in his underwear, he never woke up....and when he pees in his pants during the day, he doesn't come in to tell me...it's like it doesn't bother him. I just don't know what to do.....

June 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
During the day, I'm trying to remember to set a timer for Jacob's potty times because he's another one that doesn't want to stop what he's doing to pee in the potty. At night, we just put him in pull ups and try not to stress over it. He'll do pretty good for 2 or 3 nights and then not so good for a night or two.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
During the day, I'm trying to remember to set a timer for Jacob's potty times because he's another one that doesn't want to stop what he's doing to pee in the potty. At night, we just put him in pull ups and try not to stress over it. He'll do pretty good for 2 or 3 nights and then not so good for a night or two.
I was about to ask how old he was, but I guess he's about 5 or almost 5 huh? When you say he does pretty good what do you mean?

June 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
teacherinlove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isaiah will be 5 tomorrow and he went through a period of time during the day that he would pee in his pants because he was to busy playing to stop and go to the bathroom. We would make him go before he would play outside, or check in with him and sometimes force him to come and try to go to the bathroom.

We are still trying to figure out the night time bathroom issue. Isaiah will do really good for 3 -4 days and then for 2 days will pee. It wakes him up, but it usually happens early in the morning. I am still not sure what to do about this? He likes to drink water before bed and I feel bad to not let him have any water. I have also tried to wake him up to go pee before I go to bed and that never worked.

I guess I am posting this to let you know, you are not alone.

~Marissa~

June 22nd, 2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherinlove View Post
Isaiah will be 5 tomorrow and he went through a period of time during the day that he would pee in his pants because he was to busy playing to stop and go to the bathroom. We would make him go before he would play outside, or check in with him and sometimes force him to come and try to go to the bathroom.

We are still trying to figure out the night time bathroom issue. Isaiah will do really good for 3 -4 days and then for 2 days will pee. It wakes him up, but it usually happens early in the morning. I am still not sure what to do about this? He likes to drink water before bed and I feel bad to not let him have any water. I have also tried to wake him up to go pee before I go to bed and that never worked.

I guess I am posting this to let you know, you are not alone.

Thanks! I appreciate it! Yesterday, he wasn't even playing outside, but was just inside playing with his legos and peed in his pants! I've taken all his silly bandz away, I've taken his games away until he can show me he'll go to the potty when he's playing...I just don't know what to do. I guess I'll just wing it, like I have for the past 5 years! LOL

June 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
ejf1mom's Avatar Veteran
Hi, I'm new to posting in this section, but my DD is 5 & my DS is 8. He wore pull ups at night almost all of Kindergarten he turned 6 right b4 he left K. I never fretted about it or punished as his Pedi said some boys just reach that point at different levels. We did limit his drinking bedtime was at 8pm & no drinks between 7pm & 8pm. If he wanted a a little water like you said 1oz he had to try to pee 1st. During the day he was completely trained by 4 & I think that was b/c he went to MDO twice a week at our church & he liked being like the other boys. He is 8 now & let me tell you if he has too much to drink even at 8 he will have an accident!LOL It wasn't until just recently that he started waking up to go pee at night. If we go to the movies at night & he has a soda I promise you he will have an accident.

I PT him late as our DD was born when he was 3 & the Dr said not to try for a few months as he would revert backwards w/a new baby in the house. Even when I did start he would do it when he wanted & I started a star chart every 5 stars he would get a Thomas train. Well he would get stars to get a train then stop for a few days until he wanted a new train. So we backed off put him back in pullups & eventually after a few weeks he just decided to do it & he thought it was his decision.

Sorry long post but hope it helps!
June 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
Hi, I'm new to posting in this section, but my DD is 5 & my DS is 8. He wore pull ups at night almost all of Kindergarten he turned 6 right b4 he left K. I never fretted about it or punished as his Pedi said some boys just reach that point at different levels. We did limit his drinking bedtime was at 8pm & no drinks between 7pm & 8pm. If he wanted a a little water like you said 1oz he had to try to pee 1st. During the day he was completely trained by 4 & I think that was b/c he went to MDO twice a week at our church & he liked being like the other boys. He is 8 now & let me tell you if he has too much to drink even at 8 he will have an accident!LOL It wasn't until just recently that he started waking up to go pee at night. If we go to the movies at night & he has a soda I promise you he will have an accident.

I PT him late as our DD was born when he was 3 & the Dr said not to try for a few months as he would revert backwards w/a new baby in the house. Even when I did start he would do it when he wanted & I started a star chart every 5 stars he would get a Thomas train. Well he would get stars to get a train then stop for a few days until he wanted a new train. So we backed off put him back in pullups & eventually after a few weeks he just decided to do it & he thought it was his decision.

Sorry long post but hope it helps!
Every bit of advice/encouragement/ideas helps...thank you!! I do NOT punish him for going at night, but I do during the day because he's been potty trained since he was 2 and knows how to go during the day, he just chooses not to. Like I said, I guess I'll just wing it like I have been and limit drinks....I know that'll be a battle in itself when I do start limiting drink

June 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners Mommie +1 View Post
I was about to ask how old he was, but I guess he's about 5 or almost 5 huh? When you say he does pretty good what do you mean?
Yes, he'll be 5 in July. He will go 2 or 3 nights being dry and then the next night or two, he'll be wet. During the day, he'll sometimes run to the bathroom on his own and sometimes he needs to be reminded. I do notice that he doesn't seem to mind being wet so I think thats the challenge. I'm trying to either remember to set a timer or watch the clock. Its challenging now that we have a pool in the back yard though so I make him go before he gets in and I make him get out to either "go" behind a tree or come in to the potty.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Yes, he'll be 5 in July. He will go 2 or 3 nights being dry and then the next night or two, he'll be wet. During the day, he'll sometimes run to the bathroom on his own and sometimes he needs to be reminded. I do notice that he doesn't seem to mind being wet so I think thats the challenge. I'm trying to either remember to set a timer or watch the clock. Its challenging now that we have a pool in the back yard though so I make him go before he gets in and I make him get out to either "go" behind a tree or come in to the potty.
Conner doesn't mind being wet either and it drives me up the wall! LOL!! It just makes things that much harder

June 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
ejf1mom's Avatar Veteran
Good luck , I know it's frustrating. I had a hard time too because you know they can do it, & I really felt it was just a power struggle. Now Ethan didn't like being wet he would go change himself & not tell me. Of course you could smell the clothes where ever he dropped them!!!!LOL

I forgot to mention with both kids when they did it everday w/no accidents for 2 weeks we had a big "Potty Party" Sounds corny but we had a cake & I let them pick out party plates & such. We invited just family. You could see how proud they were though when everyone was confratulating them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search