We are BACK!!! A long recap of our week ;)

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had a very BUSY week! I don't know if I posted it before we left but spencer had been sick nearly the whole week before we left. He was feeling better before we left though. We traveled all afternoon on Sunday and got to the hotel late. Of course half way down to New Orleans I developed a horrible headache and sore throat.

Day 1
I felt better the next morning and had a great time meeting Jamie and Hayden!!! I haven't seen any pictures from Jamie yet, but I'm positive they are going to turn out just beautiful! The boys were excited to meet each other. I got a few pictures of the boys climbing the trees and Jay took a couple of me and Jamie together When we left we went straight to the ship. We boarded the ship so easily I was in shock...I expected long lines and restless kids, but everything went so easily. The kids enjoyed running around exploring everything. Everything was great til dinner. The kids were tired from a very full day and they were very restless. We had just ordered dessert when spencer turned to Jay and threw up EVERYWHERE. Not sure if he had eatten too much or if he was experiencing some motion sickness but I gathered him up and ushered him out while Jay cleaned up as much as he could. As soon as we were out the door he was complaining he felt better and wanted to go eat his dessert About that time is when my fever started...and continued throughout the next day.

Day 2
Luckily I was able to send the kids to Camp Carnival for part of the day so I could rest. I sat and watched the water and just relaxed...and we went to watch a comedy show too...I was up for anything as long as I could sit and relax while we did it We also had formal night that night which was nice, I just wish I had felt better.

Day 3
The next day I was feeling so much better so Jay and I left the kids in Camp again while we did an excursion to the Mayan Ruins in Progresso, Mexico. We had an awesome relaxing day out with just the 2 of us. It was the shortest excursion that they had to the Mayan ruins because we didn't want to have to leave the kids for the whole day. It was 90+ degrees out there that day!!! When we were headed back to the ship we noticed Jay had these red hives all over his arms and legs, we think it may have been an allergic reaction to the sunscreen we used. We enjoyed hanging out with the kids that night and I took the kids out to the pool. The water was COLD out there so instead we all climbed in the hot tub which they thought was just awesome. There were about a dozen kids in the one hot tub, so that was interesting That night after eating we had a replay of the 1st night on the ship. We finished eating and allie started saying she was sick. Luckily we made it back to the room this time and she threw up. Once again not sure if it was because she was sick or because the boat was moving quite a bit that night. I went ahead and gave her some motion sickness meds just incase and she went to sleep early that night.

Day 4
The next morning we were in Cozumel and Allie was running a slight fever when she woke. We gave her meds and she was feeling better, Jay on the other hand was now covered head to toe in red whelps, but we still decided to take the kids off the ship. We were going to go explore the town but it was hot and the kids were SO Whiney. We decided to eat lunch right there at the port, and do a little shopping and then go back to the ship. The kids enjoyed the balloon hats at the restaurant and they enjoyed getting to pick out a couple souveniers each. Allie cried MOST of the time we were off the ship and when we got back to the ship she was running a pretty high temp again Once we got meds in her again she felt much better and was her happy self again.

Day 5
The next day (our last day at sea) was probably the best. Everyone was finally feeling well (although jay's rash was still there) and the kids were begging to go back to camp carnival so we sent them off and we had fun on the ship. We watched a couple shows on the ship (one with vegas style dancers and a magic show), played charades (we came in 2nd place and won metals ), watched another comedy show. We fit everything in that we could considering we had missed a lot of stuff with everyone feeling sick all week. We had a nice relaxing dinner together and picked the kids up late that night from the camp. We ended up staying up til midnight packing everything up and barely got our bags out in the hall in time for the cabin guys to take them down to be taken off the ship. We got in bed and passed out exhausted...

Day 6
...until 4 am when Allie started crying loudly in her sleep. She was fighting and I reached up to check on her and she was BURNING UP! I took her temp (in her sleep) and it was 102.7 just touching it to her tounge (not under the tounge) I looked and found out that I accidently packed the meds in the bags that I sent out to be taken off the ship. I called around and found out the only place I could get some children's tylenol or motrin would be to call the onboard dr where they would charge us who knows how much just to get the meds, so we just packed her with cool rags and got her fever to a managable temp until we could get off the ship. I pretty much sat up most of the morning with her to make sure that her fever didn't spike up too high again.

We were off the ship by 10:00 and I went ahead and got some medicine in her again. We went to a cute little restaurant in NO and Allie was feeling much better after getting some lunch so we decided to continue on with our plans and stay around for the Mardi Gras Parade that was going to go on at 2:00 that afternoon. The kids absolutely LOVED it! They got sooo much stuff from the parade...2 stuffed animals each, 7 cups, about 75 sets of beads, and 1 plume (little metal coins). It was the perfect end to a really long sick week.

We had a good time despite all the illnesses AND we realized although we were glad we did take the kids we will be taking our next cruise ALONE again We are hoping to take our next cruise in another 18 months or so and that will be our 10th anniversary cruise to Hawaii. I can't wait! Actually we are both feeling the need to have a small vacation without the kids so we are looking to do a weekend trip somewhere without the kids in the next few weeks. Is that horrible? We need a vacation to recover from our family vacation I'm going to add some pictures in a few minutes when I get them downloaded to photobucket.

Last edited by AmyT; February 28th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
February 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Ok...I just had to add one more little funny fact...as we were leaving the ship, spencer looked up and said "Hey mom...we didn't even NEED to use those lifeboats!" I guess they made quite the impression on him when we were telling him what they were used for

February 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a busy week! I'm so sorry you had to deal with so much sickness! major drag, but it sounds like you made the best of it!

I dont blame you at all for needing a vacation from the kids! That's why we've yet to take them on a big vacation!

February 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
I'm glad you had a good time despite all the illnesses. And I can't wait to see the pictures! Welcome back!

February 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad you guys had a good time despite everyone getting sick. Can't wait for pics!

March 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've got over 100 pictures posted on facebook now...I'll post some over here as well soon

March 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM
Bakerybrat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved your pics Amy! I was annoying the heck out of Doug about going on a family cruise..lol! I was showing pics of you guys to him. I don't think he's sold on a late family honeymoon cruise..

March 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear you had a good time, but sucky about all the sickness!! That's awesome that you got to meet Jamie and Hayden too!!! Can't wait to see pics!

March 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I promise...I will get around to posting pics over here soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search