WOW...earthquakes...

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know most of you have probably seen the news about the earthquakes in NZ this past week...I just found out that there were earthquakes in Arkansas last night and this morning! I was asleep as soon as I hit the pillow last night so I didn't feel it, but the center was only a little over an hour away and it was a 4.7 in magnitude. The weird thing is the weather had us watching out for tornados last night...who would have ever guessed we would have earthquakes instead! Have any of you ever been in an earthquake before?

February 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Bakerybrat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My physical therapist is from New Zealand and I overheard him talking with another patient about the NZ earthquakes this morning. I had no idea about the Arkansas earthquake. Holy cow! You're just a few hours from me! I'm glad you guys are ok.

February 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep I slept right through it, but I was checking the news and there have been several smaller ones since the 4.7 one at 11pm last night. Kinda scary!!! I haven't felt anything yet, but I live right where they expect "THE BIG ONE" to happen someday on the Madrid fault line. I actually found out about the earthquake from some friends on facebook

February 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, it is amazing the amount of Earth quakes that have happened. Last summer we had one here that was 5.1. It was so weird! We get them very seldomly, and usually at night. I think I've experienced one at night when I woke up, but it was over within seconds.

The one last summer was scary. It was SO loud! I was babysitting, and I went to make my tea and toast when the baby went for a nap, and I started to sway, and was like what the heck? Then it got REALLY loud, and started shaking. I went all frazzled wondering what I should do, and I stood in the door frame. Then I was like Crap! The baby! She was passed out cold upstairs. It was over within 30 seconds, but it felt longer.

Funny enough I was talking to a friend's mom who was visiting from Chile after that 9.0 one down there, and they were telling me how they are so common there. They get them almost every day. They were telling me how to protect yourself from one, etc. All the while I was thinking, great advice, but when will I use this?!

The sound though was the worst part. I live by the airport, and so does the girl I worked for. I was sure a plane finally crashed!

Here is a youtube video. Don't mind the guy in it, he is a dolt. A lot of people think the vid is fake, but I assure you that it isn't.

This one isn't the one I am looking for, but the look on the guys face makes me laugh every time:
YouTube - RAW VIDEO TORONTO, CANADA EARTHQUAKE JUNE23, 2010

awe, well I can't find the other video. Too bad.
February 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
I've never been in an earthquake that I noticed. I've slept through one before, the way you have. lol

When Ryan and I went to California we camped on the San Andreas fault line. LOL There was a part where you could still see the divide in the fence from where it separated in one of the previous quakes. It was about six feet apart. Crazy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search