Update on my Walmart fall....

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to chelle2k
I hadn't shared the news about my Walmart fall on New Years Day. so I thought I'd give an update.

The lady from the claim center and I pretty much played phone tag until 2 weeks ago. We finally got to talk and she took my recorded statement. I told her how I walked into the store there was a bunch in the carpet that I didn't see and I tripped on it and fell.
I told her I'm pregnant and had to go to L and D to be observed because baby didn't move for 12-15 hours after the fall.
I told her about my anxiety issues that I am having now. I can't walk into a Wal-mart alone without getting sudden diarrhea and I have to actually pep talk myself into going EVERY single time I need to go. Usually takes 2-3 hours to convince myself that I need to go. The slightest bit of winter weather puts me into a panic. I missed a day of work because of an anxiety attack (that I didn't recognize as a panic attack until later that day). Woke up was fine. Hubby told me he wasn't going in. I decided I would go anyway, got dressed, go to put my shoes on and start with vomiting and diarrhea all of a sudden. It lasts for about 2 hours. Once I took my shoes off and laid down I was fine. Later that day I thought about it and realized it was a panic attack that cause the morning episode.
This past Saturday I went to my car and was good. Roads looked perfect! I was excited because Thursday and Friday I was anxious about going to work Sat without hubby. Start up the road and realize the roads in fact are not clear, they are a solid sheet of black ice and my tires spin all the way to work. (I don't get nervous in the car... I actually feel pretty safe in the car with my seatbelt on ). I get to work and open my door and feel the pavement with my hand to see how bad it is. My hand slides no friction at all. I instantly start having a panic attack, bawling, crying, can't breathe etc. My friend Tana and other teammate Allen come downstairs to get me. They open my door and I'm hysterical telling them I can't do it I should just get home etc. They got me inside (thankfully) but took me another 20 minutes to calm down afterward.

So anyway, she took my info and then said she had to review the tape and other info and she'd get back to me as soon as she made a decision. She let me go, but ended up calling back only 10 minutes later letting me know she actually already had it reviewed and made a decision. She said Walmart's rugs were out of date and should never have been down in the shape they were in. She awarded in my favor. I was given $750 for my fall and 1 missed day of work and had to file with my medical insurance company for a lien to be placed to the claim company to be reimbursed for my additional $400 in doctor bills.

Considering I didn't have and real physical harm, I felt this was a reasonable offer.
March 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
megpie
Wow, sorry that happened to you Michelle!!! That was always a fear of mine when pg---Falling!! Anywhere--on steps, on ice, etc.

That really does sound like a more-than-fair settlement on Walmart's part! Good for you!!!
March 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
*Jessie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Jessie*
WOW Michelle...that is horrible that you fell! Sounds like it really has affected you and I am SO happy that they have compensated you fairly. That is so scary falling when pregnant...I am glad everything is okay with baby!

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautiful tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt form making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my nails from helping weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley
March 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Molly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Molly
Yikes! I'm glad that is getting resolved in a way you feel is fair. I'm so sorry that happened! Scary

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search