Homeschool?

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
School starts in a week and two days here. I emailed Ady's teacher about birthday treats because Ady's birthday is the first day of school. Her response was not nice. She said that she does not allow birthday treats or party treats and to please not bother her yet and to leave all questions until open house next week. I am so mad! I am actually going to check out some private schools today but I am trying to convinve DH that we should homeschool the elementary years and put Ady in private school for middle and high school. He is upset with the public school choices here too, but he is worried homeschooling will isolate Ady too much. Because I am a certified teacher I know how to teach Ady and I would make a point to have her in sports and activities outside of the home. I have other concerns besides her teacher. None of the teacher choices are great and the other first grades rooms, 2nd, and 3rd are all in the open concept classroooms. Also, there is only one recess monitor for all of the school and the kids have to cross through the parking lot to get to the playground. There is not a lot of teacher supervision outside of classrooms at all. I did post something about that after we moved here, if some of you remember. Do you think I am out of my mind for pushing the homeschool option?

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Considering the last issue with the school at the end of the last school year, and the teachers attitude, I'd NOT want my child there. You are more qualified than many who choose to homeschool and Ady won't "get off easy" by going that route.

Have you talked to her about it? How would she feel about having you be her teacher and her doing activities/"field trips" during the day? If she is gung-ho on being in school, then I'd see what I could find (private schools/catholic schools/etc.)

I'm sorry the school there seems so awful re: child safety. That should be their #1 priority IMO.

Of course, I'm not too happy with the school Thomas goes to right now either. School starts next Wednesday, I have no clue who his teacher is yet. Have yet to receive the uniform order form. And don't have a clue what he needs to bring on his first day and no one is answering my questions at the school. Plus despite Collin having sibling and neighborhood preference and a recommendation from the birth to 3 program he is still #27 on the waiting list.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I agree with Nicole. You're more than qualified to do it, but I'd wonder how Ady would feel about it. If she's up for it, I'd say go for it!
August 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you would do a good job homeschooling her if it comes to that. However, I'd look into private schools first. That's just me personally, though.

I'm sorry the teacher was so rude. That is completely unacceptable.

August 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I am checking out a few private schools today and tomorrow, but the closest one if 20 minutes away. And with the winters in Wisconsin, I am not thrilled about driving that every day. Also, we could have all the same concerns, but in a private school setting. I appreciate your honesty, everyone. I do think that some people homeschool for the wrong reasons and do not make sure their children are well socialized. Ady will stay in dance and other sports outside of school. I may even take her to her school for art or music.

August 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Check this video out, Junett

Homeschooled???? - YouTube
August 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
I love it! Thanks, Rachel!

August 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran
I was homeschooled and homeschool my kids. I had no trouble working or having friends and my kids have too many friends with too many things that keep us so very busy. I think it is the attitude you home school with.

thank you rachel
August 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have been beyond mad at that teacher for that. I would be looking at private schools and in your case if she is okay with homeschooling, I would say go for it. I personally won't homeschool, but I don't feel qualified. We have talked about what could happen if Samantha really gets good at gymnastics and homeschooling might be necessary. Here you can do school online or they have teachers who can do the homeschooling too. I think you're doing the right thing though.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm not saying that people shouldn't homeschool their children. I just wouldn't do it myself. But then again I also would never teach either of my children if & when they come to my school (and yes, I could have them placed on my team if I wanted...which I don't).

August 24th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I really appreciate the honesty. I did check out some private schools here, but they don't really seem that much better than the public schools. The schools here aren't terrible and everyone keeps telling me how great they are, but I just don't see it. I want to see enthusiastic teachers. I want my daughter's classroom to be a fun, safe, energetic, and challenging learning environment. I don't think that public education works, which is part of the reason I quit teaching, and now my child is in it. How can I support something that I don't think works? DH just doesn't want our daughter to be unsocialized. I don't think she will be. She will have plenty of opportunities to deal with other children and adults. She is a bright, well adjusted child. She is easy going and gets along well with most everyone. I want to surround her by people that will build her up and encourage her to be a better person. Last year at recess she was picked at by some older kids, learned many things from other kids that I would never introduce her to (topics not appropriate for a 5 year old) and there was a boy in her class that kept hitting her on the butt. I don't consider these bully issues, but I do think that many parents think these are typical child behaviors. If my daughter has to learn to interact with children this way, no thank you. What is this going to teach her about getting along with others? DH and I have still not made a decision. I have a friend that wants to homeschool as well, so maybe we will end up working together for our kids. At this point we are going to start her in her public school classroom and switch her to homeschool if we feel like she is not getting what she needs there. There is an online elementary school that she can opt into but not until next school year, as open enrollment has closed. Because Ady is young (the cutoff for kindergarten is her birthday) we may just keep her home this year and try sending her through first grade next year. We only have a week to decide! I will keep all of you posted.

August 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren in hi View Post
I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm not saying that people shouldn't homeschool their children. I just wouldn't do it myself. But then again I also would never teach either of my children if & when they come to my school (and yes, I could have them placed on my team if I wanted...which I don't).
No offense here. I wouldn't homeschool either. Not because I think there is something wrong with homeschooled kids or homeschooling is bad, I just don't think I'm the right kind of parent to do it. I'm too laid back and I fear that my kid would end up running amock and not learning anything.

Good luck with whatever you guys decide to do. I'm sure it's not an easy decision to make!
August 26th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That teacher was so rude. I would be fuming too. I know whatever you decide to do it will be in Ady's best interests. I couldn't homeschool (it's rare over here) but we have lots of schools to chose from here. Personally I wouldn't send her there, you would be great at homeschooling! Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks to Julia (Julka) for my beautiful siggy!
Come and see how Alyssa's grown!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search