RECIPES

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ANYONE THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO DO A RECIPE STICKY? I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD THING IF PEOPLE ACTUALLY POST IN IT! I LOVE TRYING NEW RECIPES AND AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR THEM. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?
March 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I think it's a great idea. I should have stickied the last thread I did with recipes.

Anyway, post your faves here!
March 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
sunshine4pumpkin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
posted this one a few weeks ago.

INGREDIENTS
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

DIRECTIONS
Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and garlic salt. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, and brown the onion and seasoned chicken breasts.
Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes.

I used boneless pork with this and it was wonderful!!! I would also make it without meat next time but dbl the onion and tomato. Olivia still hates meat but she ate a little and gobbled down the tomatoes. I wish I had made rice to eat with it. Yummmmmmmmm!!
March 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i made pasta salad yesterday and i love it so much i figured i'd write it out here. it is soooo simple. i'm sure you all know how to make it, but here's how i do it:

Pasta Salad

-Boil one package of rigatoni noodles,drain and put in a big bowl
-cut up some veggies into small pieces. i used carrots and broccoli, but you can use celery, radishes, purple onions, peppers or anything really
-add them to the pasta
-pour about 1/2 a bottle of Italian salad dressing in the bowl. it really depends on how much noddles you make though
-then add salt and pepper
-grate a bit of cheddar cheese on top
-mix it all up
-put in fridge to cool
-then eat it, lol!
-sometimes i find after it sits to cool, you need to add a bit more dressing in to moisten it up and add a bit more flavor!

enjoy!
March 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Virgo80's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Virgo80 Send a message via Yahoo to Virgo80
Both the above recipes sound great... and Jenna thanks for suggesting this to be stickied. I love getting new recipes

I absolutely love spinach dip...and was just eating it so I figured I would share...

1 10oz package of baby spinach, or frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
1 16oz container of sour cream
1 cup mayonaisse
1 package of Knorr Vegetable recipe mix
1 8oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
3 green onions, chopped (optional)

Combine all ingredients and chill for about 2 hours.

I personally have never used the optional things. Also, I have tried it with putting it in the crockpot and had it warm and it was good that way also!

(this is on the back of the Knorr vegetable recipe mix, and I also believe Lipton's too)
March 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Both the above recipes sound great... and Jenna thanks for suggesting this to be stickied. I love getting new recipes

I absolutely love spinach dip...and was just eating it so I figured I would share...

1 10oz package of baby spinach, or frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
1 16oz container of sour cream
1 cup mayonaisse
1 package of Knorr Vegetable recipe mix
1 8oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
3 green onions, chopped (optional)

Combine all ingredients and chill for about 2 hours.

I personally have never used the optional things. Also, I have tried it with putting it in the crockpot and had it warm and it was good that way also!

(this is on the back of the Knorr vegetable recipe mix, and I also believe Lipton's too)[/b]
ooo i love spinach dip! i'll have to make that tonight!
March 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
okay i made this tonight. it doesn't look that good, but it tastes pretty good and it's easy to make, and kids like it!

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole

ingredients:
4 chicken breast
2 cups of rice
can of cream of chicken soup
salt and pepper
slice or 2 of bread
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

instructions:
okay so all you do is put the chicken in the microwave for 5-6 minutes, flip and put in for another 2 minutes until there is no pink. then cook the rice. cut the chicken into cubes. then mix the chicken, rice and soup all together really good and spread in a pan, i used a loaf pan(like what you would use for banana bread) then sprinkle the cheese on top. then rip the bread into little pieces(i took the crust off too) and spread it out onto of the cheese.

put it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasting. i found the bread looked kinda strange on there, but it tasted good altogether.
hope someone tries it!

ETA: i would suggest doubling everything up for more than a couple and baby because we ate the whole pan!
March 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I have a few that I'll add later today.
March 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM
bread wrapped meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
1 jar cheese whiz
onion, finely chopped
seasoned bread crumbs
egg(s)
chili sauce, to taste
1 defrosted loaf of bread dough-no need to let it rise

Pre-heat oven to 375. Combine first 6 ingredients to make a firm loaf and bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and dump out onto rolled out dough. Fold dough around loaf and place seam sides down in 9x13 baking dish. (You may want to spray dish if it's a known sticker.) Bake for another 20 or till golden. You can modify any favorite meatloaf recipe to include the cheese and bread but the key is to only use 1 lb of meat per loaf of bread. I usually make 2 at a time since DH loves this so much. It makes great leftovers.

Holly's recipe:

Carrot Cassarole
-boil 3 bags of frozen carrots and drain. Melt as much velveeta cheese in it that you like. If you like extra cheesy then add more,lol. Sorry I never measure it. Add cheese,about 2tbls butter, and stir until creamy. If it is too thick I add a little milk also. pour into casserole dish. Top with crushed buttered rizt crackers and bake til crackers are gold. That is it! you can add more ingredients if you need a larger casserole. It is our family favorite!
March 9th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Ok, I'm lazy.

Posted by: ~*~Megan~*~ Jan 13 2007, 01:32 AM

4-6 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package (a roll) of Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 package of cooked bacon (or any meat desired)
4-6 slices of white cheese (Jack, Swiss, etc)
1 egg
oil or olive oil spray to grease muffin tins
1/2 cup of milk

Spray a muffin tin with olive oil spray.
Beat the egg well with milk.

In a bowl, mix taco seasoning with the crushed Ritz crackers.

Pound chicken breasts flat. In the middle of each breast, place bacon and a slice of cheese.

Fold in the outside ends of breast toward the middle, forming a ball. Dip the breast in the egg wash, then roll in the cracker crumbs.

Place formed breast open side down into muffin tin.

Sprinkle each with a spoon of remaining crumb mixture and spray with olive oil.

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

During last 10 minutes of cooking time, spray again with olive oil.

Chicken pops right out, into a nice round stuffed chicken breast.

its SOOOO good..when my 4 year old dd wouldn't eat meat i'd fix this and she would eat it right up like the rest of us lol and its not too hard either!

Posted by: rawisner Jan 14 2007, 12:20 AM
Okay, here's one we do quite a bit.

Breakfast Caserole

You'll need:

6-8 slices of bread
8 large eggs
1 cup of milk
2 cups of shredded cheese
1 package of ground sausage (1 lb)
cooking spray
salt & pepper to taste

*optional*
onions and red peppers

In a skillet, brown your sausage, breaking it up in small pieces
In a large bowl, mix your eggs and milk and 1 cup of your shredded cheese, salt & pepper and cooked sausage (onions and peppers if you use them) Mix well.

In a 9x12 baking dish, spray with your cooking spray and line the bottom with your bread slices.
Pour your egg mixture over the top
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. 5 minutes before cook time is complete, pull it out and add the second cup of shredded cheese to the top. Return it to the oven for the final five minutes.

It's yummy and Daniel loves it!

Oh, and the bread can be replaced with shredded potatoes if you like, but that wasn't a big hit at my house.

Posted by: coffeemom Jan 14 2007, 09:02 AM

Chicken casserole
2 packages of boneless ckn breast- boiled and pulled apart
2 small cans cream of chicken soup-make as directed.
2 packs of ritz crackers from box
1 4 oz container of sour cream

pull chicken apart and put in casserolle dish. Make soup as directed and then stir in container of sour cream till mixed in. pour over chicken and then crush up crackers and put over mixture. Melt 1 stick butter and pour over crackers.
Bake at 350 till golden and bubbly.
Serve over rice.
--My grandma used to make this all the time!

Posted by: Virgo80 Jan 14 2007, 11:03 PM
After Melissa mentioned her Gma, this came to my mind....

Shepard's pie:

1lb burger
1 can of green beans
mashed potatoes
sliced cheese

Brown 1 lb hamburger (I use turkey burger)
Mix in the bottom of a casserole dish with a can of campbell's tomato soup, and a small amount of ketchup.
Then place a layer of a can of green beans
Then a layer of mashed potatoes
Cover the top of the mashed potatoes with a cheese of choice
Bake at 425 degrees until the cheese is bubbling

Then one of my favorites....

I apologize now because I eye ball everything and do not measure

Stuffed Tomatoes

Cut the top off of desired amount of tomatoes
scrape all teh insides of the tomatoes into a bowl with a package of Jimmy Dean's sausage. Add onions, and garlic, and salt and pepper (and I like to add mushrooms). Then stuff the tomatoes with the mixings, and bake at 375 degrees approximately 1 hr.

Posted by: rawisner Jan 14 2007, 11:51 PM
Okay here's another favorite of ours.

Mexican Lasagna - my own recipe

You'll need

1 package of soft tortilla shells (I use the 10inch size)
2 cups of shredded cheese -- your choice of flavores
1 can of refried beans (smashed pintos)
1-2 lbs of ground beef
1 small onion
1 small jar of salsa
1 can of Enchalada sause
9x12 pan

Cook your ground beef with your onion and, after draining it, stir in 1/2 of the can of Enchalada sause.
Spray your pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with tortilla shells.
Then add a layer of refried beans, cheese, salsa & ground beef mixture.
Add another layer of tortilla shells and then keep adding your layers of other ingredients till it's gone.

I usually put some cheese on top and then pour the remaining enchlada sause over it. Bake in oven @ 350 degrees till cheese bubbles, making sure it's warm throughout. Usually around 25 minutes.
October 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN
Source: Hellman's Mayonnaise

1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, washed & dried
4 Tbsp. Italaian seasaoned bread crumbs
(I added 1 crushed garlic clove and 1 tsp. Italian seasonings to mixture.)

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, crushed garlic clove and Italian seasonings in small bowl. Spread mixture under and over chicken breast and place on baking sheet (I used a glass baking pan).

Sprinkle tops with bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chunky Potato soup

My kids request this its more stewy and filling then a brothy soup.

5 potatoes
2 cups water
1 sm onion (optional) I don't use this because dh hates onions i subsitute with onion salt
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
crushed red pepper
ground black pepper
3 cups milk (whole)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shred cheddar cheese I use a whole reg size bag
1 cup cubbed ham

Peel potatoes and cut in bite size cubes

Bring water to boil in lg saucepan, add potatoes, and cook till tender. Drain reserve liquid. Set aside. Measure 1 cup of reserve water and set aside.
Peel onion melt butter over med heat, till onion turns clear. Add flour (basically your making a rue. Add red pepper flakes a little goes a long way. Black pepper to taste. Add potatoes and mix in rue, add 1 cup reserve water, milk, sugar. Mix well. Add cheese and ham simmer for 30 mins, stirring often.

Lemon Berry trifle ( made this for my daughters pot luck.. got alot of request for recipe)
1 8 oz cream cheese
1/3 lemon juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups thawed frozen whipped topping
1 10 oz pound cake ( I used pound cake with blueberries)
1/4 c frozen lemonade thawed
1/2 c water
1 10 oz jam (I used blackberry)
6 cups frozen blueberries.

combine cream cheese and lemon juice in med bowl, beat with electric mixer till smooth. STir in sweetened condensed milk. FOLD in whipped topping (go from bottom and flip to top go slow) Do NOT mix fast or you will lose the air- ness. Cut pound cake and arrange in a dish. Combine lemonade and water brush lemonade mixture over pound cake. Let stand 5 mins. Brush jam over pound cake, spoon cream cheese mixture cover with berries.. do layers if possible. Other wise just do in bigger dish. Cover and refrig for 6-8 hours if possible b4 eating. ( I didnt let mine sit and was still good)

Big Soft Pretzels

1 envelop dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm water
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg beaten
Cinnamon sugar
Garlic salt
Kolser salt
Sesame seeds/poppy seeds

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl, sift flour, sugar, and salt and add to yeast mixture. Knead dough until smooth and elastic about 5 mins. Cover ( I used a damp towel) Let stand 10 mins.
Preheat over 450 Grease baking sheets. Divide dough and you can make sticks or the pretzel shapes. Brush with beaten egg and top with one of your toppings. We have done salt and cinnamon both good. Bake till golden brown about 10-15 mins. Can stay in air tight container for up to 3 days.

Grands Grilled Cheese sandwiches
Have not tried this yet, got it from box tops recipes. My kids school collects box tops
1 Grands
2 teaspoon oil
8 slices of american cheese

1. Seperate dough into 8 biscuits. press roll each to form 5 1/2 round
2. Heat oil in skillet over med heat until hot. Add biscuit a few at a time. Cook 3 mins turn cook additional 3 mins remove. place 2 slices of cheese on each 4 biscuits top with remaining biscuits. Return to skillet cook 2-3 mins turn cook an additional 2 mins or till cheese is melted.
June 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM
cowboybrowns's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cowboybrowns
"Shrimp Alfredo with spaghetti squash instead on pasta"

30-50 small shrimp thawed, precooked, peeled and devained
1 T. olive oil
1 t. each garlic powder and onion powder
1 t. kosher salt
1 T. dried parsley flakes, or fresh parsley finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
Hot prepared spagetti squash

If moist, place the shrimp between four folded pieces of paper towel and pat dry. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Since the shrimp is precooked, you only need to fry over medium heat for a few minutes, sprinkling seasonings and salt over the shrimp while frying. Add the heavy cream, stirring and scraping the bottom occasionally until it reduces to a sauce. Serve over the steaming hot spaghetti squash, and enjoy. It tastes just like Shrimp Alfredo over buttery pasta, with the added benefit of veggies

November 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure what to call this. It's something I threw together tonight.

You'll need 1.5 lbs of ground beef. Browned in a skillet with your favorite seasonings. You may also add minced onions and peppers.
2.5 lbs of potatoes, boiled & mashed. You can used instant mashed potatoes, but I don't think it will be as good.
2 cups of shredded cheese (any type, but cheddar works well).
1 can of tomato paste (small can)

Brown your ground beef in a skillet. Drain grease. Add your paste to the pan and mix in 1 and 1/2 cans of water. Leave to simmer.
Prepare your mashed potatoes. I used half of a 5lb bag and mashed them like I would for any other meal.

Cover the bottom of your casserole dish with a layer your ground beef/tomato paste mixture. Add 1 cup of your cheese on top of that. Then layer your mashed potatoes on top. Cover with your final cup of shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and browned a bit.

Serves about 6 people. Yummy!
November 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's shepherds pie by the sounds of it Rach. It's yummy!

Thanks to Julia (Julka) for my beautiful siggy!
Come and see how Alyssa's grown!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search