Brady's big boo boo!

Forum: 2005 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brady is like one of the toughest kids I've ever seen. He will fall or smash into a wall and get up laughing. He can take just about anything that Nicholas dishes out. So when he got hurt today, and wouldn't stop crying or walk (he hurt his toe), I knew it was serious. We didn't take him to the ER, but if it's still bad tomorrow, I will call the doc. So here is what happened..... Emily stayed home from school today because she was running a slight fever last night and just really achy and tired. I decided it would be best to keep her home just in case she was getting something. I didn't want to spread it to all her classmates just before Christmas...ya know? I haven't been feeling well either so decided to take a nap with Evan while the others napped too (Emily watched TV in her room). Well, Nicholas woke up and he went to play with Em. Which was fine, until she came in my room like 2342342394 times trying to take my CD player. Which would have been fine if she could have done it without waking Evan. AHH...getting off topic. Anyway, after repeatedly telling the kids to be quiet or they would wake up Brady too, they decide it would be cool to shut all the doors in the hall. Of course they couldn't turn the knob and quietly shut the doors. They had to "click" them all shut. Mind you I'm suffering from PMS (sure in the heck hope it is...AF late AGAIN!). Thank God David got out of work early. He saved those little monsters from my fury. At this point they are all hungry, thirsty, wet, dirty, needing this, needing that...you get the idea. So, while David is trying to tell me something really important about work...they are causing mischief in the kitchen. I think it's time to put the gate up that I bought months ago. Our kitchen table is like a wrap around booth table and the ouside seating is a bench (no back). I heard the UPS guy throw a box on the porch (our diapers) and went to get them. I had to pass the kitchen to get to the front door and what did I see?!?!?! Nicholas and Brady pushed the bench over to the stove where a pan of brownies were sitting. I had to make brownies for Emily's Christmas party tomorrow. Well, they dug right in. They were going to town shoving fistfuls of brownie into their mouth!!! David hide the brownies and cleaned them up. We were trying to get them settled (diaper changes and all) so that I could make some lunch for them. They wouldn't listen to ANYTHING though. So next thing I know, we hear a squeal from the kitchen. David went and found Brady with the bench on his big toe. There was blood pouring out. His whole toe nail is blue and just TONS of blood!!! David THINKS Nicholas may have accidentally pushed the bench over on Brady's foot. We tried to clean it up, but the blood wouldn't stop coming out. We contemplated the ER, but it was just his toe. Even if it was broken, they wouldn't really do anything for it. There wasn't a huge gash on his foot from the blood. It was weird...like a tiny cut, but tons of blood. So we continued to clean it over and over. Bandaged him up. I just went and checked on him a little while ago and he still can't really walk on it. He won't let us touch it or put ice on it. So I kind of think it's broken. I gave him motrin for pain, but he is STILL awake. Yeah, I think I'm definately calling the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks if you read all of that. I'm so long winded!

December 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, Poor Brady!!! I would definately call the doctor tomarrow. Once he does fall asleep, also try to elevated it w/ a pillow or something. Hope he can get some sleep, and that you can too.
December 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
... AF late AGAIN![/b]
Toe? What toe?
December 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Aw man, that's gotta hurt! I know the cut is small .... but it's shallow too right? Sometimes they will actually do something about the big toe if it's broken (depending on the break) because the big toe is really important for balance and such.

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
December 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww.... Poor, Poor Brady!!! (Poor Mommy too for trying to get some rest). It sounds a lot like when Marcie's daughter Abby was at the pool and the pool bench fell on her big toe- she broke it, but they didn't do anything for it. It was a WHILE before she would walk on it and her toe nail is still funky.... that was years ago. I hope he isn't in too much pain and you all slept well last night.

I had a hard time getting past AF being late too

December 21st, 2007, 05:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You need to have it checked Nicole! It is EXACTLY what Abby did. We took her to the ER (well an urgent care) and they confirmed she fractured the big toe...but her Ped was LIVID b/c they did not put her on an antiobiotic and anytime you have a fracture with a cut they want antibiotic to keep infection out.

I was reliving Abby with your story. It's just exactly what happened to her. The bench, the blood, the not walking on it. She scooted on her but for days. And we had to carry her everywhere. Thankfully she was super light at 2. We also gave her motrin around the clock she would just moan and moan in bed while sleeping. They said to keep it elevated too. They almost gave us tylenol with codine but remembered you have to be 3 for that. It would have helped!

Poor poor Brady! I hope his owie heals quickly and he's not in too much pain!
December 21st, 2007, 05:14 AM
thekepp's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, poor Brady

I would call the doctor today just to be on the safe side. You don't want it getting worse over the weekend or for Christmas.

December 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM
Quote:
You need to have it checked Nicole! It is EXACTLY what Abby did. We took her to the ER (well an urgent care) and they confirmed she fractured the big toe...but her Ped was LIVID b/c they did not put her on an antiobiotic and anytime you have a fracture with a cut they want antibiotic to keep infection out.

I was reliving Abby with your story. It's just exactly what happened to her. The bench, the blood, the not walking on it. She scooted on her but for days. And we had to carry her everywhere. Thankfully she was super light at 2. We also gave her motrin around the clock she would just moan and moan in bed while sleeping. They said to keep it elevated too. They almost gave us tylenol with codine but remembered you have to be 3 for that. It would have helped!

Poor poor Brady! I hope his owie heals quickly and he's not in too much pain! [/b]
Marcie, that sounds exactly like what Brady is doing. He won't walk on it. Last night I went to Target to buy some more bandaids and neosporin. I had a whole first aid kit, but Lord knows where that is. I didn't get home until 11pm, so I figured he would be asleep and it would be easy for me to clean it out. Well, he wasn't asleep. He was sitting on the side of his bed crying his eyes out. It was such a sad sight. I tried to walk him to the bathroom so that I could clean his cut out and bandage it up. He limped the whole way. There was dried up blood on it but he wouldn't let me touch it. I just put the neosporin and bandaid right over all the nasty blood. Today I'm going to give him a long warm bath to hopefully let it come off on its own. This morning he has been crawling or asking me to carry him. Brady is NEVER like that. It's not easy either...he's almost 40lbs! David and I decided last night that we are going to take him over to the ER. I'm waiting until he gets off work first though. So around 5pm. He's just going to have to chill out today. I don't think that will be a problem though, he isn't really in the mood for running. I've DVRed a ton of Christmas movies for him.

December 21st, 2007, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh poor little guy! I hope the doctor can give him something to ease the pain. And OMGosh they really get into mischief don't they?!?!
December 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM
nadine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to nadine
NN, I started reading your post with a smile on my face as I pictured the delicious chaos at your house yesterday morning...especially the boys up on the bench digging into brownies that are for Em's party. I can only imagine the fun frustration!! But now I'm about Brady's toe!! Poor kid! He's such a tough cookie so he must be in a good deal of pain. Hopefully they can help in some way at the ER. I'm sure it's hard for such an active boy to be sidelined. Good for you setting up a movie marathon!

Hang in there Momma. I'm sure that even in this case it's true that it hurts you just as much to see him go through this.

December 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I tried the warm bath too...BEWARE! When I put Abby in her toe started GUSHING blood. It was scary, nasty, etc. But of course that may not happen to Brady. Let us know what you find out at the ER, and question an antibiotic if they don't give you one.

Poor Poor Brady!
December 21st, 2007, 06:41 AM
Yes, I'd be careful with a warm bath, like Marcie said it could very well open the cut back up by loosening the blot clot that's keeping it from bleeding

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
December 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG! Poor Brady! I really hope they can do something for him. I can only imagine having to lug Rafe around everywhere. My back would be broken! Poor baby! Give him lots of hugs and kisses from all his JM aunties!

December 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks girls!

That makes sense about the warm bath. Should I try to wash off the crusted up blood then??? It seems to be the only thing that has stopped the bleeding, but there is a lot of it. Trina, when I was washing it off last night it look like the tiniest cut right above where is cuticles are. It didn't seem deep at all, but now I'm wondering if he cut part the nail bed??? I'm just going to put some more neosporin on it and take him to the ER when David gets home. He's in so much pain still. He is walking (limping) a little, but on the side of his foot. At this moment he walked on his knees to me. I just gave him another dose of motrin. Hopefully he will be able to nap for awhile. Here is a pic I just took of it..

December 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about the crusted blood, because you're right... it could very well be keeping the bleeding stopped. Even just a few more hours of leaving it alone can let it start to heal enough that you can use a warm washcloth to try and wipe away the surface crusty stuff. Just put the Neo on the band-aid pad and then put the band aid over it.

If he'll let you, you probably want to put a sock over the bandaid to help keep germs and such out too

December 21st, 2007, 09:18 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
EWwwwww! Poor little guy. That looks terrible. I hope the doc will do something for him.
December 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nicole that looks JUST like Abby's did! WOW! It's so wierd! That is exactly where her cut was. She did lose her toenail, so expect that. They will clean it up at the ER too, with something good, so I wouldn't worry too much about you doing that. Let us know what happens. I feel so badly for him b/c I know the pain Abby was in for a few days.
December 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Erin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YIKES! The explicit talk was making me nauseous enough - did you have to show the pic?!?!?

I feel so bad for Brady!! Poor little dude! Hopefully he'll be feeling better by Christmas so he can enjoy his presents.

Quote:
Quote:
... AF late AGAIN![/b]
Toe? What toe?
[/b]
LMAO!!!!!!!
December 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww! That looks soooo painful. Poor Brady. I'm glad you're going to take him to the doctor, just in case there's anything they can do for him. I hope he recovers quicker than you expect. I've had a couple toe injuries like that, and they really hurt. I still can't fully bend the big toe on my left foot b/c of a toe injury sustained in college. I can walk fine and everything... I just can't get it bent all the way.

Let us know what happens at the ER. Big HUGS to you guys!

December 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM
KnKMom's Avatar Divorced, working mom
Send a message via Yahoo to KnKMom
Poor little guy! I hope that can give you something to help with the pain.

And what the heck is with all the late AF's around this place?????

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search