Can you guys give me some advice

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to msbritt86
Well as of this saturday Braylin would have been sick for two weeks. The first week she ran a fever off then on.. then for a couple days around thanksgiving she seemed fine. THen she started getting way way irritable and cranky and her fever was 103 if she didnt have tylenol in her. So I brought her to the pedi monday and she diagnosed her with a sinus infection and gave her antibiotics. Shes had two doses mon,tue, wed, and one so far today. Her fever is still high and she hasnt eatin really since monday. She will eat a bite hear or there .. I know this is pretty common for sick kids so I am not to concerned. BUT she hasnt been drinking really. She probably drinks one cup of water/juice/milk a day.

So my Q is what should I look for her as far as dehydration goes? She has been peeing normal! Which is good! I am really getting upset because she is acting soo miserable and i just dont know what to do for her besides watch wall-e with her 3 times a day!

Also have the antibiotics just not been given enough time to work or what> She has a follow up appt on monday.. I just want to know really what should I look out for over the weekend that will warrant a call to the doc?

Thanks girls.. Sorry I havnt been around this is the reason why.

Thanks to Heather aka Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!!!
Make a pregnancy ticker
December 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would be giving them a call back. There should have been some improvement in her by now. If she is peeing ok, then I dont think she is dehydrated. Some signs that I know, is when she cries if she has tears or not, is her mouth dry on the inside or not.
December 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel

If you are really concerned about dehydration - you can get her some pedialyte, but I don't think she is dehydrated for the same reasons Jennifer said. AJ was just on a decongestant that made him thirsty (that was one of the listed symptoms) and the pharmacist said to keep pushing the drinks and to watch and make sure he was sweating so he wouldn't become dehydrated.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the tips and what to look for

I definately dont think shes dehydrated then, which is a big relief!

She woke up this morning with no fever so hopefully fingers crossed it stays away!

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hopefully she stays fever free!!!
December 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Good Luck - if she is still showing symptoms you might want to call your doctor - at least to check in with the nurse.

I am super paranoid with AJ after he had a cold last winter that I didn't take him in till just before Christmas (he was sick the whole month but no fever) and he ended up with bronchitis and the pedi said he was almost bad enough to hospitalize (and we didn't have insurance at the time).

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

December 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OK.. well today most of the day she was fine.. Till she woke up from her nap she was super congested in her lungs and had a fever. One other thing is I noticed some green tinged gunk on her diaper.. where her vajay is and I assumed I didnt wipe her well (because of all of the lovely diarhea that comes with amoxicillin). Well I took her out of her undies and didnt notice anything but when I went to put them back on her after her nap there was a yellow green crust in the same spot. When I looked before she went to bed there was a little in there but not a whole lot. I am going to google and then I will call the pedi tomorrow... WOuldnt the antibiotics be working if there was a uti or what not?

ETA: I just googled and I saw it under side effects for amoxicillin and one of the pages had it under serious (i think the one for kids) I am definately calling in teh morning.. Maybe thats why her fever isnt going away?

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Definitely call. Keep us posted.

December 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh I hope she feels better soon. Id definately call the pedi too.

December 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Veteran
any updates? poor little thing. its so hard when you are trying to be a mom and a doctor. i hate the trying to figure out whats wrong. i hope you get some answers soon

Liam July 3 2006
Caitlyn June 17 2008
December 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
purplepieguy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope she's feeling better. But in all honesty I wouldn't wait til Monday to call. I would call today and tell the ped on call what's going on and they may or may not send you to the ER. With antibiotics they should start to work within the first 24-48 hrs.
December 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls..

Ok well I havnt called yet... I WANT TO BADLY.. But DH thinks that i call to much when she is sick. The green down there I havnt seen since that day.. SO maybe it was poop I DUNO.. so frustrating.

Also Today she woke up at 630 and crawled into bed she coughed(once) and when she went to take a breath in it was like she was having a hard time and even dh jumped up and propped her up quickly. Since then she still has a fever and only coughs every once in while.

You know what I am going to call the dr.. you guys made me feel better like I am not crazy to be calling the doc.. I dont know why I second guess myself so much.. Thanks..

I will update tonight when she wakes up I am calling the Dr really this time lol And I am sure she will want us to go into the er.. Joyy

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Any news?? How is she?
December 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OK..

Well I called the on-call dr last night and she said that she didnt think it was bad enough to require a trip to the ER. So we went in today and of course her fever is gone and shes acting all happy

She listened to her lungs and said they were clear and she looked into her left ear and it was good. But she put the thing (to look into her ear) in her right ear and Braylin started screaming and flipping out. She said that her right ear was infected but that she wanted to wait to see if it got better on its own.

Mind you Braylin has been sick for 3 weeks (as of sat)!! But she did say if her temp spiked again (which i bet it will but hopefully not) to give her a call. Her next appt is friday..

I hate this.. and I really dont like this dr.. As of the 1st of the year we are switching..

Oh and she was breathing all raspy like there was plegm in her throat and what not.. If she hasnt gotten better wouldnt the sinus infection still be present>!

Oh and I forgot to add.. That she looked and she said that Braylin has an infection 'down there' and to use baking soda.. I asked like if it was in her bath and she said no. I guess i am going to have to look online to see what the hell I am supposed to do with it.

Also thanks so much for the concern and support .. really means alot

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well since you were just on an antibiotic, that is probably why she wants to wait and see if it heals itself. I know that doesn't make you feel better. We mama's hurt just as much as our babies do when they are sick. She might be coughing cause her ears are draining into her throat. Did the doctor look at her throat? Antibiotics can cause infections down there - but I have never heard of using baking soda. No clue on that one - Good Luck! I hope Braylin feels better soon!

December 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well glad to hear it wasn't anything serious but like Christina said she probably didn't want to put her back on the antibiotics because she was just on them. To tell you the truth, that's a good thing that she didn't put her on back to back antibiotics because that's a way that you can get c-diff. We had to deal with that when Shannon was about 5 months old. It was nasty stuff! Anyhow, I hope that her ear does clear up on it's own and she starts to feel better soon.
December 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks you two

I put her in a baking soda bath.. I looked up online and thats what I saw for it.. I think maybe the dr didnt understand the question I was asking i duno..

I guess your right with the antibiotics.. I think I am just 3 weeks in and just want it all to go away

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 9th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I know how you feel - AJ was sick the entire month of December last year. It was horrible!

December 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I know how you feel about her being sick for so long. When Shannon had c-diff she had been so sick (vomiting, diarrhea and a high fever) for 2 weeks before we found out she had it. I would take her to the dr like everyday and they would send us home saying that it was just a virus and it needed to run it's course. I took her to the ER about 4 times and sent us home saying it was a virus. Well I knew in my heart that something was wrong so I took her to a different ER and that's where we found out that she WAS SEVERELY DEHYDRATED and she had lost almost 3 lbs because she was so sick. She went from 16 lbs and something to 13 lbs 10 oz in 2 weeks. They were going to admit her but they didn't take her secondary insurance so we had to be transferred back to the first hospital and that's where they did find out that she had c-diff. She stayed for 3 days to get rehydrated and given a Flagyl to kill that infection she had in her GI tract. When she got discharged she was 14 lbs 12 oz and most importantly she was her happy self.

So I do know how you feel about her being sick for so long. I hope she feels better soon. Let us know how she's doing.
December 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Man that sucks she is still feeling crappy!!! I hope she starts feeling better sooner!! How is she doing now?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search