Being politically correct.....

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Not meant to be a debate or anything

Just was curious what others thought..

We are teaching our boys to not say 'black' person, or 'chinese' person etc..

We feel that it is proper to say caucasian, african american, asian, etc..

I grew up in a very shady part of town where racial slurs ran rampant in peoples vocab, and it always just really bothered me

A family member recently, told Brandon and I we were nuts, and that there was no use in trying to teach our children to be politically correct when it comes to the races in our country.. One of Clay's friends the other night said 'did you know that our president is BLACK?!?!'
And Clay said, 'no, I did not know that, but I did know he was African American'

So, what do you think?
What are you teaching, or plan on teaching your little ones?
Those who are not of the caucasian decent, what do you call yourselves?

Again, I'm just curious

Thanks mommas!
August 31st, 2009, 01:35 PM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Hmm... well, this has always been a point of interest for me. I prefer to let people self-identify. If I have a friend who happens not to be caucasian, I would always ask how they identify themselves before referring to them as any race... some people prefer black, some african-american, etc. So, I'd wait to let them choose. Jacob has friends at school of many different races and so far he hasn't noticed there's any difference between he and them, although he has told me that his friend's skin is brown, which is true... but he was just talking about colors of things. So, I'm not really sure! I'm not worried about my children being racist because nobody in my family is, I can't imagine them ever being exposed to it, but, if they were exposed to that kind of thing I would teach them the "right" things to say in order to combat it.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
August 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Exactly.. ITA with you..
And Clay and Carson are being raised in a family that is very much racist unfortunetly, and maybe that is why it is so so important to Brandon and I that they know there will be no tollerance for that in our home!
August 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't really thought about it. We have friends that are from many different races. Our congregation is very mixed. My sister in law is Jamaican. My brother's previous girlfriend was Japanese. My brother in law's background is African, Chinese and Irish. So far we have not discussed race, because while Jaidyn has noticed their skin is a different colour it's no different to her than her hair being brown and mine being blonde.

I agree with Cori about letting people self identify. I know my brother in law would rather be called black than brown. But he doesn't like to be called African American, because well he's Canadian. LOL

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt

Last edited by cheesecake; August 31st, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
August 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
LOL Sher, at your bro-in-law..

Thanks so much guys! This is why I started this thread, just to get other peoples opinions on it, and see if I was doing the right thing.. I agree with what you are saying about letting people self identify.. I get that, and maybe I should try to incorporate that into teaching them about this as well..
August 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I really don't address race as an issue. It isn't one to me. We will burn that bridge when we get to it

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

August 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM
I worked with this lady once... she went to England on a vacation and came back and was telling me a story... she called this guy (who was English) "african-american" and I was like... uh? what?

August 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
August 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have not had a word or question from my daughter about this and we have "African American" Or "black" neighbors, whom shes played with there children and never questioned that they are different, she is half Hispanic, so I agree to let children explore there worlds, classifying humans doesn't happen naturally, we are all the same, so we don't need to "name our races" unless your children ask you, in school they teach children from preschool about many different cultures as well.
September 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was working we had a black Nanny - she preferred the term black.

We have a mixed neighborhood & school systems. My kids are taught that race doesn't matter, it's how people treat other people. (jerks come in all races ) Lucy has friends of all races.

My kids also experienced a racial discrimination when they were with the black nanny. So Lucy understand how terrible it is 1st hand. (Noah was too young).

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
evie&kipper's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This has been something that I've thought about, but not really discussed with Evie. I had a hard time explaining to her who Martin Luther King was, but put it in the perspective of, "You wouldn't be able to be friends with RJ (a kid in her class) because he has a different color skin than yours." She replied that she liked RJ and I told her that was the point, it doesn't matter what differences you have. Sadly Evie thinks every black male is either Obama or Michael Jackson and will shout out, "There's Obama!" when she sees a black man. I've had a difficult time trying to make her see differently. Anyway, that's not really what you asked about. I agree about letting people self identify, but I really try to not make an issue of it, because it isn't an issue to me. Unfortunately living in the south, racism is very prevalent and rampant. While she may not hear it in our household or neighborhood, I would be a fool to say she never would at school. I just try to address every situation as it comes up.

Blogging our daily adventures: http://raisingevieandkipper.blogspot.com/
September 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
~~Kim~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~~Kim~~
This topic annoys me because I think people get too caught up in giving others an identity. I don't refer to my friend Lou as my African American friend Lou. She's just my friend, Lou. My kids know her as Miss Lou and she's no different from Miss Maria who's hispanic or Miss Caroline who is Malaysian, I think.
September 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, we really don't distinguish between other races with Lily. She has plenty of black, hispanic, and asian children in her class and has never once mentioned anything about their skin appearance being difference than hers. If I heard a racial slur being used I would make a point to tell her it was a bad word.
September 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I agree with Kim-this topic annoys me as well. Not in the sense that it was brought up by Mel, but just in general. Color has never been an issue in raising my son-not yet anyway. I have no intention of broaching the subject to him unless he asks questions. However, people are different in what they prefer being called. I personally prefer being called an African American as opposed to being referred to as black or a black. I've actually had "African American Mommy" under my username for the longest, so it's kinda funny that this subject came up. Something about hearing and seeing the word "black, blacks" makes me cringe because of negative things I've read, seen, heard and experienced in the past that have been associated with that word. Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that I'm not black, but brown.

September 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Thanks so much everyone for your imput. It appreciate it

Kim,
I said I wasn't out to make anyone mad, so, I hope that I didn't..
This is a subject very near and dear to my heart because everyone we know other than ourselves in our family are racist, and discriminate against others that aren't white or caucasian, and that really just bothers me.

I want my children to know that we were all created equal, and that God loves us all the same, and they will be taught to do that as well! Brandon works with a man who is african american, and says that he feels that 'white kids should call us what we are, african americans'
But, yet, a friend of my sisters says ' No! I'm black just as you are white!'
Ok.. I see both sides! Hence why I was wondering if we as parents were doing the right thing!

Clay and I had a talk about Obama this morning, and I asked HIM what he thought.. he said 'well, I know that he is african american, but he is brown or black mommy, because his skin is not white like mine' Ok, so, as a 5 year old, he totally sees the difference, and I guess as long as Clay and Carson know that while we need to be sure they know what we have already been teaching them, that it is also important to not self-indentify someone, and let them be the ones to do that for themselves

Thanks again ladies! This really did open up my eyes! And, also, I am sorry if I pissed anyone off.. it def was not my intentions!
September 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
~~Kim~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~~Kim~~
My position of annoyance is like Carla's. I dislike the concept, not the fact it was brought up.

Last edited by ~~Kim~~; September 1st, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately the reality of the world is we are identified by how we look. I'm the middle aged white woman...

I think it's impossible not to recognize the difference in people. Especially when those people celebrate their heritage with things like Black History Month & Asian History Month. Lucy's school has an Ethnic night which completely offends me because we have no ethnicity. We are Americans - a complete melting pot which leaves us with no ethnic heritage. We are left out.

We are different. And that's a good thing. Otherwise the world would be very boring! It's great to recognize, accept and embrace our differences.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
"We are different. And that's a good thing. Otherwise the world would be very boring! It's great to recognize, accept and embrace our differences."

Absolutely!
September 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We haven't mentioned it all with our kids yet. We just refer to people as "lady," "man," "boy," or "girl" without commenting on the color of their skin, and I plan on keeping it that way until he asks questions.

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
September 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hmm... well, I may get slammed for saying this but I don't believe in the whole "color blind" thing. There are differences between cultures, all cultures, white, black, jewish, asian, indian, hispanic, southern, midwestern, west coast, east coast, etc., etc. I think they're pretty cool differences. I mean, nobody besides jewish people eats gefilte fish (and you should be glad of that because that stuff is GROSS! ), and nobody besides latino people celebrates a quinceneara... and I think those differences are okay to notice and celebrate. Culturally we are all different, whether we're just "american" or come from some other ethnicity. It's interesting to me. I would never bring it up to Jacob, but since he has, and I'm sure will even more as he gets older, since we are just about the only Jewish family in a heavily muslim/christian community, he'll have questions, and I don't want him to shy away from asking them. The only way opinions change is through open discussion and a lot of information.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search