I can't stop crying

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok- first off, it has been a long weekend and week so far. Moving has taken its toll on Brooks and all he's been doing lately is whining and throwing fits...To top it off, one of my cats started scratching the furniture (brand new) last night, so they are both in the basement. Know ing that is is not fair to keep them in the basement all the time, DH said that they either need to be declawed or we have to get rid of them. It bothers him that we have to make a decision like this but not as much as it bothers me...

I have debated over the years about declawing and I didn't like what they do to the cats to "declaw" them so I put it off. When I called the vet this morning to make an appointment, the receptionist said that some of the vets and techs don't like to do it esp. on older cats (madison is 7 and mallory will be 9 in Sept.) She said that they aren't going to be esp. happy with me...I am not happy with the situation either, but there's nothing i can do about it...we can't afford to buy new furniture! She said that if it came down to either declawing or me putting them in a shelter, they would prefer to declaw. That was my whole point, if I can't declaw them I can't keep them.

I couldn't and still can't stop crying. I feel like the worst person in the world and I will feel even worse if anyt of them say anything to me next Tues. I am not a declawing fan, but if this is how i can keep my babies, then I will do it. Please tell me I;m not a terrible person! DH asked if we could get the tips put on their nails, but I read that they don't last onlg and tend to fall off easier. I keep their nails trimmed, but that's not fixing the problem. I hate feeling like this! Sorry this is so long, but I just need to vent about it.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Thanks Julia(Julka) for my AWESOME siggy!</span>
June 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
*Cassie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh sweetie, big hugs to you!!! I totally understand what you're going through. When we got our cat, if he would have scratched a lot, it would have been the same thing. We either would have had to give him up or declaw him. Luckily he wasn't a scratcher. I'm not a fan of the procedure either, but I don't think you're a horrible person!! I would rather do that than have to give my babies up. I know quite a few people who had it done on their cats and the cats were fine. There was recovery time, but they didn't turn into the horror story cats, the ones that change their behaviour, etc etc. If you really really don't want to do this, can you try the caps first? Maybe they would work well for you, then if not, you could declaw. I understand this is really hard for you, but if it comes down to doing it or losing them, I would do it. I don't think your a horrible person at all!!

this got really rambly...sorry... i can't seem to be coherent today
June 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you give them time and try other things first? They make spray that deters them from scratching, but doesn't stink bad or you can try to catch them doing it, and spray them with a squirt bottle.
June 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to farrar831
I know how you feel. It is a sickening feeling.

But on the bright side if your cats never see the outside world then it will be ok. I am like you and I would hate to do it, but we do what we have to do. It will work out.

{{HUGS}}
June 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That really really sucks! I'm not a big fan of declawing either, but we bought a cat from a shelter who has no front claws, and he does perfectly fine. They will heal and be okay for it.

You're not a bad person, you only have two choices and putting them into the shelter is worst thing for them at their age. They'll be okay!

Hugs for you, I'm sure the cats will be fine!
June 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My best friend had this same situation. We moved in together in a town house....She had three cats, only one had this issue of scratching at the screens and getting loose and scratching at the leather sofas....She being a veterinary technician herself had been dead set against declawing him. He was older (6 I think), and she hated the process to begin with..but it really was what was best for the cat. Otherwise he could have gotten out and gotten loose.

If you don't get it done, then what would you do? You would have to keep the cat downstairs all the time, or find a new home. So in the long run, your cat will be much happier. Once you get it done, you won't feel as guilty.

So don't let the staffs judgement waiver your needs.

The blinky is clickable!!
June 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
I am so sorry your having to go through that, but one thing is when the baby is older and wanting to play with the cats they can't scratch the baby.Trin gets scratched all the time because she wants to mess with the cat. It is really nerve racking for me. Also I feel bad for my cat too, because I have to put him out on the balony at night because when we are sleeping he pees all over the house and it smells really bad and I can never find it. I feel bad but what can you do?

June 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
mommyKathyX3
I'm terribly allergic to cats, but it seems like everybody in my family has them, so I'm around them all the time, and honestly hon, if they are indoor cats, I dont think declawing them is a bad thing. I wouldnt declaw a cat that spends a lot of time outside, but for even safety sake, I'd get them declawed if they were indoor kittys. I wish I wasnt allergic cause I love kittys and had them when I was really little, but when I was about 8-9 I started developing allergies and theyve just gotten worse. I know it'll probably be confusing for them at first, but I think it will be for the better in the long run, especially if it keeps the peace in the house too, ya know. Hugs!
kathy
June 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
My ex-BF and I got cats and didn't especially care that they occasionally scratched furniture, but realized that one was getting infections on his neck all the time, losing his hair, and getting sick from playing and scratching with the other! We put off declawing until about our 5th trip to the vet for meds and he said that even though he agreed that declawing is sometimes an unnecessary trauma, he recommends it in some cats. Infections, being sent to a new home (would be MORE traumatic especially for older cats), and so on, completely warranted it. I felt so guilty, but after several months of healing and them getting back to their old selves, I was sure we'd made them (and us!) happier in the long run.

You're not a bad kitty mom. You're doing what you need to do to keep them in your loving home!

June 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM
*~Candy~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh hun, don't feel guilty about it. I used to be a vet-tech and its really not that bad. They knock them out and they are really un-aware once they wake up from all of it. It only takes a day to re-coup and yes the older cats have a harder time (i had my cat declawed at 8yrs) and my other cat was only 6 weeks- my baby did alot better than the older one but really after he got home it only took him about 2 days to get back to himself. And to be honest they are silly and they both still act like they have claws- they "sratch" the furniture and carpert. Don't feel guilty its alot better than having to get rid of them and I love it b/c i can hold them without getting my arms and legs torn up.

*HUGS* i am sorry you feel so bad- but honestly I am a HUGE animal lover and would have never done it if i would have known it would hurt them.

June 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
oh Betsy...I'm so sorry you are so upset. I'm not really a cat person but I do know (and this isn't any help) that declawing cats is very painful and I'm not a fan of the procedure. If I were in your shoes I think I would have to find them a new home and have them keep their claws. BUT that's just me Betsy and you have to do what's best for you.

Good luck and sending you big hugs...real big hugs.

June 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
SuperTwins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SuperTwins
You're not terrible. I had two cats and both were declawed. Let me tell you, it was much funner playing with them and I didn't have to worry about them scratching things. Mine were fine, I am sure yours will be too.
June 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Veteran
Normally we only have barn cats and of course they need their claws. We did have an indoor/outdoor kitty once who simply would not stop clawing the sofas. We sprayed, provided her with all sorts of nice scratch toys - and sprayed them with appealing scents. No good - the favorite scratching post was always our expensive stuff!

She was only 2 years old, and we simply could not have a declawed totally indoor cat, so we ended up finding a new home for her with someone who didn't seem to mind the clawed up furniture. I can totally understand your decision!

MM
June 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting to feel better about it now. I just don't want the vet and techs to think I am just jumping into this. It will be a lot nicer knowing that I don't have to watch the kids like hawks. mallory is so fiesty sometimes and Brooks has gotten some scratches when he gets too close. I guess I just feel bad that I'm going to turn their world upside down. They are both inside cats only and have been since I got them, so they wouldn't really know what to do outside and wouldn't be happy. I just hate keeping them in the basement until tues. We try to get down there and play with them, but there's so much to do, there isn't time! thanks for all the support and advice girls! You guys are the BEST!!! I'm dreading Brooks' surgery for two reasons, one being the thought of him having surgery and two-being away from you guys!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Thanks Julia(Julka) for my AWESOME siggy!</span>
June 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Betsy...it's all going to be fine. The cats will adjust and Brooks surgery will be a huge success.

Just take care of yourself and don't run yourself down worrying

Hugs to you

June 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
foxyroxie81's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to foxyroxie81
My cat Tom is declawed and now that he is older he has trouble walking I think its because of his paws but I am not sure. Anyways if I were you I would try other options like spraying the furniture with citrus smelling scents (cats really don't like the smell). Also try and get him or her a scratching post. Look up info about your situation and there are good tips out there. If all else fails then just go ahead with the procedure. Just make sure that (if you go for it) that you line the kitty pee pee pan with newspaper because they could get infected (his paws). I'd rather go ahead with the procedure than giving up my baby (Tommy). Good luck and hope all goes well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search