Different languages?

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Julka
Does your 06er learn any other languages at school right now?

I was just wondering because Natasha is learning 2 this year - French and Italian. It's her first year learning French but third year learning Italian since they begin in Junior Kindergarten and then continue in Senior Kindergarten, but French they start in grade one. It's kind of cute! She comes home everyday and teaches me a new word, phrase, or song.
September 21st, 2012, 06:06 PM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Nuh uh. We don't do a different language in school here until 7th grade, I think.

That's really cute, though!

September 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nothing right now but they start french in grade 4 here

Lucky mother to five!

September 22nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
He wont begin (required) to take a second language till 9th grade (first year of High school age 14). He'll have the choice between Spanish and French normally, some of the schools here offer German and Italian too.

September 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
They don't do foreign languages in elementary here. Gifted kids can take language survey classes in 7th (a few weeks per language to test them out basically), and then usually Spanish is offered for gifted kids in 8th. For most kids, no foreign languages are offered until high school and then it's Spanish, German, French, and Latin in most schools.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 22nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The girls have had Spanish twice a week since they entered the Early Childhood program at age 3. It used to be 30 minutes twice a week now it is 60 minutes twice a week. This year they will also start learning Latin. It is going to be within their Language Arts classes, not a separate class.
September 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
** Mandy **
I'm not really sure - maybe some Spanish if anything.

September 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
No we don't start foreign languages until middle school.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 24th, 2012, 07:58 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
They don't offer much for second languages in elementary here, either. I'm teaching Eric some asl along with the other kids, and I think there is a sign language club he might participate in next semester, though.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
September 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Julka
Yeah, I guess with French being our second language, they start early. But I expected her to start in grades 2-3, I was surprised it's grade 1. As for Italian, her previous years' teacher told me the community around the school when it was built was primarily Italian years ago and they incorporated it into the program, and it kind of stuck. I am not opposed, and she seems to enjoy the classes!
September 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think it's cool that Italian is offered! French, well, I started in 2nd grade. Unfortunately, I haaaaaated it, and by the time it became optional instead of mandatory in 9th grade, I never wanted to hear it again. So I'm totally not pushing a second language, no matter how beneficial it can be to learn one.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
September 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Julka
I won't be pushing it either! I didn't take French past grade 9 either, but I only came to Canada in grade 8, so I was behind everyone else anyway lol. I managed a 75% in grade 9 which was better than some kids who've learned it for years, but past grade 10, I just felt like there were too many other classes I wanted to take more than French and there wasn't time for everything!

It's gonna be their decision once it becomes optional
September 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
You all have optional foreign languages? It's not here at all.. 7-12th grade, you must take one. I wish it were optional I wasn't fond of it. I struggled big time in my Spanish class.

September 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeMadge View Post
You all have optional foreign languages? It's not here at all.. 7-12th grade, you must take one. I wish it were optional I wasn't fond of it. I struggled big time in my Spanish class.
Sounds opposite of where we live? French is mandatory through grade 9.. then it's optional after.
September 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Jaidyn's learning Spanish. Learning a foreign language is mandatory up until 16.
September 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most schools start here in the first year. (Prep). Jas is doing Indonesion and will all through primary school (year 6). Not sure about high school.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

September 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Its mandatory at our schools to take 2 years of a forgien(sp) language in grades 9-12. Typically there is Spanish and French offered. My high school also offered German (though the teacher left my sophmore year so it got pulled), Latian, and Japanese.

It has to be 2 years of the same language too (i.e. spanish 1 and then spanish 2). French and Spanish are the staple 2 languages at the high schools up here to pick from.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search