24 hour Fever

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Does your childs school have 24 hour fever rule? (i.e. no fever/meds for 24 hours before they should go back to school?)- if so, do you always follow it?

Alexis became sick Sunday morning. A fever that came from NOWHERE all of a sudden. She woke with it. She said her belly hurt a "teeny" and had a small headache. Otherwise, NO symptoms. It was like that Monday, too. I kept her home because she still had a fever (it averaged 101.6). Last night I put her to bed and she STILL had a 101 fever. NO symptoms. I was going to think about calling the DR today, just in case there was an underlying issue (maybe an ear ache that wasn't causing pain, or...?). Didn't bother waking her for school, assuming she'd be sick... since her temp was almost 102 at bed.

She woke, it was 97.7. Huh? Per the school, I'm supposed to keep her home for 24 hours. Obviously, it hadn't been 24 hours since she had one at bed. But she is SO fine. She's playing. Running around. Still no fever, hours later.

Do you send your kids, anyway, because they're now fine? Or abide by the rule?
I did keep her home. *shrugs* just following the rules. I'm making her rest a bunch in between playing. But, part of me feels she would have been TOTALLY fine to go.

I guess it was a 48 hour weird virus that just passed?

October 2nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Julka
I think you did everything right by keeping her home an extra day, just to be completely sure she's fine. I wouldn't want to sit home wondering if my child might be feeling unwell, plus at home the whole familiar atmosphere is way more relaxing than being in school, IMO. So I would have kept her home an extra day, too.

It does sound like a 48h virus, type thing. My girls have both had those before.
October 2nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
That's what I was worried about- her not feeling well of a sudden, or it spiking back up again. I guess that's why the rule is in place.

She's never ever had just a random virus/fever with nothing else wrong before! Whenever she's had a fever, it's been a cold.. earache, strep, flu, etc. So it was kinda nice (as nice as sickness can be?) to have just a bug that seemed to disappear. Hopefully the fever stays away today!

October 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I abide by it unless it's really close to 24 hours - like if he'd woken up with one Monday morning and it went away by 9 or 10 in the morning and never came back, I'd probably send him on Tuesday. My boys had a similar weird bug a few weeks ago, a fever (that got pretty high) and tired because of it, but no other real symptoms. It passed just as quickly too... Was strange!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search