School Lunches

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Twinkle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Julka
When do you pack school lunches - the night before or the morning of?
What sorts of food do you pack on a regular basis?
Do you stick with healthy foods or do you tend to include a cookie, chips, etc. at times?
Do you use plastic containers, ziploc bags, other..?
October 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I pack the morning of. It's usually all healthy stuff; i used to send little desserts too, but Eric takes so long to eat he just kept bringing them home to eat after school. I use a variety of plastic containers.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Julka
I do it the night before. But I'm weird and cut their cheese, fruit, sandwiches, etc. into different shapes with cookie cutters (not everyday, but often!) and I really look forward to it LOL, so it's like my little evening project.. Plus, it makes the mornings a lot less chaotic.

I do sandwiches, veggies, fruit, cheese, crackers, hard boiled eggs, nutri-grain bars. But I will occasionally include chocolate goldfish or a nut-free cookie or a mini cupcake to make it fun.

I use Easy Lunch Boxes for Natasha. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! They fit perfectly into her lunch box that attaches to her backpack.

October 4th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well..we're homeschooling this year. So I'll tell you about last year.

First of all, our school actually had a pretty good lunch program, so I let the kids eat a hot lunch twice a week. They had some good healthy options.

The other days, when I packed, I always did it the night before. The school bus came a little after 7:30, and there was just no way I was packing the morning of. We were already so busy. I bought the kids really nice Tupperware lunch bags and containers at the start of the year. Matt kept getting confused and throwing his containers away (ugh!) so by the end of the year he was mostly using ziploc bags. I packed a small treat everyday too.

The biggest issue I had was that they were supposed to open their lunch boxes and get one thing out for snack in the morning. Matt kept eating the bulk of his lunch then and then would be so sad at lunch time. I packed some extra food, but finally I labeled his snack "snack" and told him he was a big boy - if he ate the whole thing early that was his choice.
October 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Julka
lol Claire... Yeah, I had to explain Natasha which part was "snack" and which was "lunch". But she's used to what is snack because she attended Kindergarten for 2 years in this school which was 1/2 days so she knows which foods are more "snack" and then sandwich, etc. & veggies is lunch. But if I pack a hard boiled egg, she always eats it for snack instead!! She says she just can't wait for lunch because it's so delicious, lol.
October 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I pack the night before... no way I have time in the morning.

The girls always get a sandwich, a choice of yogurt or cheese, and a choice of fruit or vegetable for lunch. They also get a snack packed as well and I usually do fruit or yogurt with a cookie or something sweet. The girls get to buy pizza 2 times a month and if they have earned extra money during the week, they sometimes choose to use that money on Fridays to buy an ice cream or other snack.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Julka
My girls get pizza twice a month too, but we pre-pay for that in September and then in January What kind of yogurt do you pack, Christine?
October 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
I love those Easy Lunch Boxes! Just ordered us some.
Riley eats at school most of the time. But, when he doesn't like what they are having, we pack in the morning. He is a PB junkie, so he always gets a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly; he thinks it's too sticky), chips, fruit and usually a go-gurt. I use plastic baggies for now.

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

October 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I buy the "simply gogurts". I don't like the other ones that have all the sugar and dyes in them.
Julka likes this.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I pack Jaidyn's lunch in the morning, she's the only one I have to worry about in the morning (other three can sort themselves out) so it's usually fairly easy going in the mornings.
She has sandwiches/tortilla wrap/pitta bread with ham/cheese/chicken/peanut butter/nutella, baked crisps (chips) or rice snacks, fruit, homebaking and occasionally a frube (which are the same as the simply go-gurts).
Having seen the colour of some of the US gogurts I'm glad artificial colours are banned from food over here! Jaidyn would be bouncing off the walls!!
October 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
** Mandy **
When do you pack school lunches - the night before or the morning of? The morning of.
What sorts of food do you pack on a regular basis? She chooses from choices I give her... her favorites are corn dogs, chicken and rice with vegetables bake, lunchables pizza, chicken nuggets. She doesn't really like sandwiches so it is usually a hot meal of some sort.
Do you stick with healthy foods or do you tend to include a cookie, chips, etc. at times? usually do a main course (like those listed above) and include a fruit and a veggie, and a small treat (pudding cup, snack size candy)
Do you use plastic containers, ziploc bags, other..? plastic containers and a small thermos. really the only time I use ziploc bag is when I packing more than one thing in the thermos but need to keep them separated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search