Will you let your child play with...

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
whatsupwiththis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to whatsupwiththis
If the girls want to hunt (or trap shoot) like Ben and his family, sure. Otherwise..not likely. Reality says the kids will use make believe guns if they are into that kind of play, but it wont be encouraged. I dated a boy once who was accidentally shot in the chest as a child playing a game of "Cowboys and Indians" as he put it. The onus is on us to keep our kids safe...in some homes keeping kids safe means teaching them about guns and how to be safe around them.

Thankyou Yvonne for another gorgeous siggy!

http://rainbowsandponytails.blogspot.com/
May 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Preggers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I won't, not because I am against guns, I just don't think they should be used as toys. Like Candy cigarettes. Who ever thought that was a good idea?[/b]
ditto
[/b]

May 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
ianandjenasmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I do and will. ( opps that sounded odd. I mean I do let Ian play with guns and I dont mind if Jena finds a toy gun in Ians room and plays with it) My DH and I both played with toy guns and neither one of us turned out to be violent.
If children are raised with any kind of morals, they arent going to turn into serial killers from playing with toy guns in their childhood.
Its the kid that walks by and kicks a cat, that I am more worried about later on in life!

and a super soaker is nothing but a big gun? You point it and shoot it? thats like saying they can play with a small switchblade, but not a machete?

May 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of guns and we were totally toy gun free until just last year when the boys wanted Super Soakers for summer but I have to say that they turned everything into guns anyway, Lego, sticks even toast crust can be a gun
May 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
HarlieStar3
Quote:
blake has toy guns. he is taught not to point them at ANYONE. DH was in law enforcement for over 5 years. he plans on teaching blake when he gets older how to shoot a gun. now, i know i hear everyone gasping, but thats how it is here. i believe its all in how you raise your children. i live in the country. and i mean country. hunting season is a HUGE deal around here. the first day of deer season, men usually take off and take their kids with them.

everyone has thier own opinion and this is just mine.[/b]

I have to agree with you... Hunting is a big part of my family.. I've been hunting since i was like 5... Now, Devon will know the difference between guns for hunting.. and whatnot.. He will probably have nerf guns and water guns... I always played with them... and DH has always played them...

Now, I don't plan on going out and buying the first toy guns i see.. .he won't have those... not the realistic ones.. i don't like them...
May 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I grew up with guns in the house so I have no problem with them and if our girls want to play with a toy gun that is fine with us. Gun safety will be taught eitehr way-even if they do not choose to play with a toy gun. I feel it is a disservice to not educate them about guns.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have very strong feelings on this issue because of my oldest DH. I had decided when he was a baby that I didn't want him to have toy guns. He was about 2 years old and had never had a toy gun or seen a toy gun and didn't know what one was and that was just the way I wanted it. We didn't watch violent movies or tv shows that showed such things and that's what I wanted. Then my MIL started working on us and telling us that "every boy needs a toy gun". We gave in and it was one of the worst decisions we ever made. My DS became absolutely obsessed with guns. He wanted every one he saw. His teachers would send letters home in elementary school about how he sits in class drawing guns on his school work and folds papers so they are the shape of guns. Now he's 18 years old and you know what he wants to do? He wants to join the military so he can go and SHOOT real people with real guns. It's very scary to me. I have to monitor everything he does because I need to know what is going on with him.

I dont want to do that again so this time I'm going to "stick to my guns" and say no toy guns for this son. My DH is in law enforcement so we'll teach him that guns are NOT toys and should not be played with. My DH will teach him to respect them and what they can do.

Jmo, I don't want to offend anyone.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
May 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
shellybell57's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to shellybell57
my family is like Aprils and a few of the others on here that hunt and my children have been around guns all of their lives. They have been taught since they were little, that they are not toys and that they are not to be played with. That they are used for specific purposes and that those purposes are the only things that we do with them. This is how I was brought up and there have been many a day that I have enjoyed going out with my dad and doing target shooting and going hunting. Devan is looking forward to going hunting this fall for the first time, even though he has been target shooting several times with his grandfather. My kids do know that when they go out target shooting, they are not to just shoot at anything. They are givien specific targets (bullseyes, etc.) and not randomly shoot at squirrels, birds, etc.
May 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am conflicted on this issue. If I had a little boy I would absolutely NOT let him play with toy guns. I hate the attitude that comes along with them (a toughness/arrogance maybe?). Of course, I also don't like guns in general and am certainly for better gun control laws in our country. I am a vegetarian because I don't agree with hunting and killing. So with all that said I go back and forth about LIliana playing with them. My first reaction would be to say no because I agree that guns shouldn't be toys. Even if it is all in fun I don't think it is good to encourage kids having "fun" pretend killing one another. It just doesn't seem right to me. However, if she wanted to play with a water soaker or something like that and it wasn't in any way be played with in a "killing" way then I would let her.
May 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I don't have a problem with it. Nothing too realilistic though,.
May 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Lucas has two guns, but they came with a cowboy dress-up outfit. I wouldn't purposely buy him a gun. Hand guns are illegal in the UK, so it's not as if he can go buy one when he's older, so what's the point? He only uses his guns when he's playing cowboys, which to be honest isn't that often!! He'd rather use his morpher and be a blasted Power Ranger!!!
October 5th, 2013, 09:52 AM
definitely
October 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't allow the kids to play with toy guns because we want them to take weapons seriously.

October 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi View Post
I grew up with guns in the house so I have no problem with them and if our girls want to play with a toy gun that is fine with us. Gun safety will be taught eitehr way-even if they do not choose to play with a toy gun. I feel it is a disservice to not educate them about guns.
One of the things my parents stressed was NEVER pointing a gun, even a toy gun (except for water & rubber band guns lol), at anyone. We were taught to treat ALL guns as if they are loaded. If my kids don't want to play with toy guns or shoot real guns, that's fine, but they WILL know how to be around them safely.
October 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran
I have to share this- when my brother was very young, around 4 or 5, he was playing with some friends at their house. A friend of their parents (whom we did not know) stopped by their house & left his car unlocked. The 3 little boys got in the car & found a very realistic looking gun (which turned out to actually BE a toy, but looked very real) under the seat- the other 2 boys started playing with it & pointing it at each other, but since my brother had been taught to respect ALL firearms, even toys, he ran home to Mom & told her what happened. The other boys had never been around guns except what they had seen on tv, and didn't realize HOW dangerous they can be. Fast forward many years later- my brother was the very top shot in his entire Marine boot camp! He spent time in Iraq, but to my knowledge has never shot anyone, and he has only shot a few animals- he's definately not "bloodthirsty" but is very competent with firearms. ETA- my mom went right over to take the gun away from the little boys.
November 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
My two girls aren't interested

December 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes we let them play with toys guns. I grew up with guns in the house, my dad is a hunter. We have guns in our house. Dh collects them and even had his license to sell them for many years. Our oldest two know the difference between real guns and toys and they have both been with Dh when he has shot something so they know what real ones do.

January 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I grew up playing with toy guns and eventually shooting BB guns & real guns. I don't own a gun and have never shot an animal or a person. I'm old so we played games such as cops & robber and cowboys & Indians. I am not violent or racist.

I "smoked" candy cigarrettes and bubblegum cigars but have never been a smoker. I played a lot of games as a child that never translated into anything in my adult life.

My son is 7 1/2 and plays with guns - both nerf & realistic guns. My daughter even has had a couple. He also plays shooting video games. He is the sweetest boy on the planet. He isn't violent at all and he's never gotten into any trouble in school. He understands the difference between real & fake guns.
Dan's wife likes this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search