Will you let your child play with...

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Tash
toy guns? Especially with all the shootings at schools, and violence in the world. DO you think its ok?

My answer, no. Not squirt guns, not nerf guns. I hate guns. I hate violence. I am sure he will pretend something else is one at some point, boys.... But, I am going to try to avoid it.
May 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Probably not, but thats just my opinion dh may have something different to say

May 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
m.and.a
I won't, not because I am against guns, I just don't think they should be used as toys. Like Candy cigarettes. Who ever thought that was a good idea?
May 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
No, probably not, but I will allow squirt guns in the summer that don't look like real guns, y'know, the Super Soaker kind.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Nope...

Alex is almost 10 years old, and has NEVER been allowed toy guns....

I am completely 150% against them.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
I won't, not because I am against guns, I just don't think they should be used as toys. Like Candy cigarettes. Who ever thought that was a good idea?[/b]
ditto

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
A super soaker is as close to a toy gun as I want Eric playing with, because it looks nothing like a gun. I do, however, think I might be in for a bit of a battle with DH on this one...

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I have already had this convo and toy guns will not be allowed. Super soaker type stuff probably but thats about it!

May 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
aprild's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
blake has toy guns. he is taught not to point them at ANYONE. DH was in law enforcement for over 5 years. he plans on teaching blake when he gets older how to shoot a gun. now, i know i hear everyone gasping, but thats how it is here. i believe its all in how you raise your children. i live in the country. and i mean country. hunting season is a HUGE deal around here. the first day of deer season, men usually take off and take their kids with them.

everyone has thier own opinion and this is just mine.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Quote:
blake has toy guns. he is taught not to point them at ANYONE. DH was in law enforcement for over 5 years. he plans on teaching blake when he gets older how to shoot a gun. now, i know i hear everyone gasping, but thats how it is here. i believe its all in how you raise your children. i live in the country. and i mean country. hunting season is a HUGE deal around here. the first day of deer season, men usually take off and take their kids with them.[/b]
I'm certainly not gasping, it makes a lot of sense in your situation. For us, no one we know hunts, so it isn't really something he will run into that adults do. IMO, there is also a difference in hunting equipment vs a handgun. If we were a hunting family, my opinion on letting Eric have toy guns would be different because I would want him to learn as early as possible the correct handling, KWIM? I actually think it is a GREAT thing, in your situation, that Blake has toy guns as you are teaching him an important lesson.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
My boys are learning to hunt with Mike, so they will know PROPER use of guns at an appropriate age. Danika too for that matter. That being said, toy guns are not allowed. I want the definition line to the kids to be VERY clear. Guns are not toys. They are allowed super soaker types, but absolutley nothing that looks remotely close to real.

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
nicole1484's Avatar nerdilicious
Quote:
blake has toy guns. he is taught not to point them at ANYONE. DH was in law enforcement for over 5 years. he plans on teaching blake when he gets older how to shoot a gun. now, i know i hear everyone gasping, but thats how it is here. i believe its all in how you raise your children. i live in the country. and i mean country. hunting season is a HUGE deal around here. the first day of deer season, men usually take off and take their kids with them.

everyone has thier own opinion and this is just mine.[/b]
I'm glad to here this. I grew up in Alaska where the vast majority grows up hunting and fishing. I've shot a bb gun when i was around 8 and a shot gun when i was i think 12 (left a huge bruise on my shoulder though ow.). As long as the child is properly educated i think there are a lot of things out there much, much worse.

Teegan will def. have squirt guns. i have tons of great summer memories growing up w/ me and my friends running around having fun w/ them.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have no problem with them though we don't have any. It's amazing what a little boy (or girl lol) can make into a gun. My kids are not allowed to shoot people, just things. Mothering had an article a few months ago that was very good.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for sharing that article, Heather!

May 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
I said no.. DH is agreeing with me because she is a girl, but said if we have a boy he doesn't want to deprive the kid.. so we will have some issues with that if we have a boy!
May 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I totally respect your opinion! It makes sense if you grow up in an area or state where your child/ren will be exposed to guns to educate them properly.

May 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
mvsu01's Avatar Super Mommy
No way, not even likely if we had a boy. I believe in gun control and find it disturbing enough to read everything that's been going on between something as light as little boys flaunting them while riding bikes to something as serious as school shootings. There's lots of other fun toys and games we could give her (or our boy if we ever have one). JMO!

May 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If it were up to me, there would be no guns of any type in my house. Dh allows his boys to have Nerf guns. They don't look remotely real, but I still don't approve.

May 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
faith72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to faith72
As you know I have 3 boys.

Justin has a BB pistol and a BB rifle at his dad's house. Nick and Justin both have BB rifles at our house (Red Riders, they are actually about 20 years old and are probably worth money). They have plenty of toy guns laying around as well.

I have no problem with having toy guns as long as the kids are taught not to point guns at people and learn proper handling of the guns.

Kids aren't going to go shoot someone because they played with toy guns. Kids are going to accidentally shoot someone because they don't know how to handle guns and have gun safety. IMO.

And for those of you on your first kid, trust me, a little boy can make a toy gun out of anything... legos, paper, fingers....
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"> </div>
May 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Tash
Quote:
QUOTE(aprild @ May 2 2007, 01:43 PM)

I am not judging, it works for you, and it makes sense in your situation.

Quote:
Kids aren't going to go shoot someone because they played with toy guns. Kids are going to accidentally shoot someone because they don't know how to handle guns and have gun safety. IMO.[/b]
I agree, but to me, playing with a toy gun, makes violence a game.

But I think that kids are going to shoot someone b/c they have more issues than just playing with a toy. There is going to be A LOT more going on in that persons life than what toys they play with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search