How do you feel about acupuncture?

Forum: 2006 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
ThatStaceyGirl's Avatar Oh noes!
Send a message via Yahoo to ThatStaceyGirl
I've been reading up on the miraculous effects of acupuncture for CP. I get the heeby jeebies thinking about needles being poked into my son's head. I'm not even sure if this particular practice is done in the U.S. The place that does offer it is in Malaysia. I've read the child benefits the most from this form of therapy between the ages of 1-3. The "cure" or "remarkably improved" rate for spastic CP caused by a bad birth is 80%. Those statistics came from studies that were independent from the Maylasian place.

They claim it doesn't hurt. What I would like to know, have you or anyone you've known actually done acupuncture? Is it really painfree? Have you ever heard of bad side effects?
Kaeden's pain tolerance is abnormally high but still...just because he may not feel pain like others doesn't mean I should subject him to something without knowing the consequences.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZilUjrWR_gY
That's the youtube video link showing a girl that had spastic CP in her arms. The way the mother describes her daughters arms before the acupunture is exactly how Kaeden's arms are right now. When I see this little girl with her hands fully open and using them...I can't even describe the feeling. Her daughter was sitting up, talking. I want that for Kaeden.
I think I'll call the acupuncturists in this area to find out what information they can give me. I hope it's not a therapy that's only offered overseas.

November 29th, 2007, 06:01 AM
3girls1boy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I dont know much about acupuncture i know ppl who had it done to quit smoking and it worked. I myself wouldnt get it done but then again i am scared of needles. I have to pep talk myself once a month just to get a shot and still have goose bumbs when i have to get it done. I would look into it I think it would be worth it. If there was a way to fix autism with it I would take a shot at it!

November 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
ThatStaceyGirl's Avatar Oh noes!
Send a message via Yahoo to ThatStaceyGirl
Quote:
If there was a way to fix autism with it I would take a shot at it![/b]
The Malyasian groups also claims acupunctures helps autism. http://www.thetole.com/Autism.html
They'll mentions something about their "brain powder" for children. I read earlier it's a mixture of herbs. I'm kind of iffy about it because I haven't read about what's in it yet. I think it can be ordered. Not sure if they'll deliver to the U.S. though. It's the same thing as with CP, the earlier the treatment the better the therapy supposedly works.

November 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stacey, that is amazing. I would def look into it if I were you.

November 29th, 2007, 08:15 AM
JMAC
So, I've never had it myself. But my grandma will get it on occasion for her arthritis. She says it absolutely does not hurt and that she gets great relief for months afterwards. She tried traditional medicines and nothing else worked as well. I say, it doesn't hurt to give it a try if you get relief from it!
November 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They claim it doesn't hurt. What I would like to know, have you or anyone you've known actually done acupuncture? Is it really painfree? Have you ever heard of bad side effects?
------
I know some people in my office who've gotten accupuncture. There is one girl who really swears by it, and she's a very no-nonsense kind of gal, very skeptical of non-science solutions. She had severe back pain for a long time due to various spinal cord nerve issues, and she said after a couple of accupuncture sessions, she felt literally better than she ever had. This is someone who tried all kinds of prescription drugs, did physical therapy, everything, you name it.
She said it did not hurt either, because the needles are not like regular "draw blood" kind of needles, but rather very, very thin.

My account-super also had it done for his migraines. No word yet on whether or not it had an effect.

I would certainly try it, it can't hurt.
November 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
nathansmom
I would totally go for it! I imagine the little needles aren't really painful or anything....
November 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
jbc0827
I would look into it and if there are any places that do it around you, I would see if they would let you talk to some parents of other kids that had it and see if it has helped. they would probably have to take your name and number and then have the other parents call you. Also, talk to his dr and therapists and see what they say. I know if I was in your shoes I would do anything to help my baby and if it would definitely help in the long run I would do it.
December 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM
jellybeaninhk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've not tried it myself but I've also heard that it doesn't hurt at all. But, I would caution you to find a very reputable acupuncturist. Acupuncture concentrates on nerve points and hitting the wrong ones could do more damage than good, so be sure the one you choose knows exactly what they are doing.

Thank you to .hoodihoo.this. for my beautiful siggie

December 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never tried it myself...but it if Kaeden was my son, i would def give it a shot! Stacey good luck..I hope you can find someone who does it locally for you...keep us updated

and Stepmom to Karianne 9/20/93
December 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow that is worth looking into! I have heard about it to help with the pain in my back.. but I dunno i'm pretty much a wuss when it comes to needles!

December 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
N*I*K*K*I's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to N*I*K*K*I
I don't know anything about accupuncture, but my grandpa is a chiropractor who does laser therapy. When he first started using it like 9 years ago he started treating a little girl with CP. She was about 2 and her hands were tightly clenched into fists. I'm not sure how quickly it started to help but I do know that after a year her hands were unclenched and she was able to use them. Not sure what has happened since then I just remember being amazed that it had worked so well. I have used laser therapy for various injuries and it helped alot. So that's another option you may want to look into.
October 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hi ThatStaceyGirl, I am not sure whether it is too late anot but i just have the urge to reply this thread after reading all the comment.

Well, acupuncture doesn't hurts at all. I have done many times of acupuncture and I have seen babies doing acupuncture as well. I have been to The Tole which is the link u provided earlier and they claim that the treatment is they do for CP kids is TheTole Neuro Acupuncture and you can't find it anywhere but in Malaysia.

I hope that you could fly to Malaysia for your child treatment as you will not regret it~!

The only regret I have is I why I didn't know such place earlier.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Last edited by yengyeng.wong.9; October 29th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search