Scarlet's still not talking and i know its normal...but I still worry.

Forum: 2007 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM
the_mama.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone having the same issue? She can say mama, and dada. She can point to her belly and nose. She can say rawr for Bear but also says it for cow. I have said 'cow says moo' 1 million times over that last several weeks and nothin....I try not to move on until she gets it (that is what i did with Raven, but with Raven she was counting to 14 by 16 months! She knew all her body parts, and animal sounds. She could sing the abc's!!! I Would introduce one thing at a time and she absorbed it like a sponge. She is not advances per say now but she is very much the same way now. Once she hears it she remembers. She is a young 5 in her Kindergarten class and she is doing awesome)

Her Grandma is worried too which i tell her, its normal...blah blah.

I just worry because she has no desire to repeat my words. She just smiles this sweet innocent smile that looks like a "I dont know what to do mama but I love you " She does repeat my actions however. When she wants something she points and sqeels. Or points and screams. I try to be more vocal while we are home together so hopefully that will help. She doesnt care to be read either. She does like tv but so did Raven. I let her watch 2 shows a day. Usually 1 while I shower and get ready and the other while I clean areas of that house that are difficult to do with her. (bathroom, laundry)

She can follow direction and knows the meaning of several things like:
Shut the door
Are you hungry
want a baba (we will cross that bridge soon as well )
wanna watch barney/Tunnies?
We are going bye bye
where are your socks? shoes?

ugh...i am sure there are a few more. She can follow directons well. Her favorite job is Putting the soda or waterbottles away in the fridge. So she can watch and learn how to do something. But she picks and chooses what she wants to learn.

So she sounds on track right?!

Thank you BAM for creating such a beautiful siggy!
February 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think her and Harley are twins! I won't worry about the lack of words until closer to two. Until then, I will enjoy my quiet days!

February 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
She's fine. I have had the same issues with Grady and he can understand so many things I say but won't repeat much. He has said a few more words in the last few weeks. But they aren't words he uses daily. he asks what everything is and I tell him in hopes that he is just absorbing it all.

I just talked with his dr. in great length about this and she assured me that this was normal for this age and chances are he will have an explosion of language in the next few months. Especially with his comprehension skills (which sound similar to Scarlet's).

It is so easy I am sure to compare when you have more than one child. Don't worry too much. You know she is going to talk. You know she can understand you. I know it is easier said than done. I have a hard time following my own advice.

February 13th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It sounds to me like she's taking it all in and one day she's going to explode and say everything. She takes directions really well and that's very important. Maybe she's going to be more of a perfectionist and doesn't want to say it until she has it just right, lol. Bryson doesn't say a ton either. I never really worry about it though until I see that other babies are saying like a gazillion words a day and it makes me think about it. I think that Scarlet is right on track though so try not to worry hun.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
the_mama.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah my best friends daughter is 2 weeks younger then Scarlet ans she can say sooo much. She even knows her colors.

I don't like to compare but its hard when its your best friends daughter. When i talk to her on the phone I here her LO saying sooooo much in the background. I know it doesn't mean i am not as good of a mom or anything but you can't help feeling a twinge of that.

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes i cant tell the difference between my own worry and my instinct that something may be off.

Thank you BAM for creating such a beautiful siggy!
February 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
If it is just about her language and you don't suspect anything else going on then I wouldn't worry. If you notice she doesn't look at you, doesn't follow commands, seems uninterested in her sister and you and your DH. Then yeah...I would worry.

I am watching my BF's 6 month old and I am amazed that he is almost crawling. I know Grady didn't crawl until 8.5 months. So this kid is way more advanced in that area. It is hard not to compare. I know that.

Just don't worry unless there is something that is eating away at you. It is more typical for a 15-16 month to say a few words then a ton. Your friend's daughter is actually the one that isn't typical.

February 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My daughter was such an early talker that it is hard to not compare... Dylan only says about words... Mom, Dad, woof, and this.... He understands everything with no problems... Dylan's doc said if he isn't talking more by age 2 then we will look more closely... No need to worry... They will be talking sooner than later!
February 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jack doesn't speak much either. He understands when I tell him to do stuff so I try not to worry about him.

February 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am aware of course of what my kids were doing at this age...and Belle was by far verbally ahead. But I do not expect my kids to "live up to each other" if you know what I mean. They are different and have their own talents. Sounds to me like Scarlet is doing just fine.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

February 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
stephie1012's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yep Cj isnt talking much either..he says mom, daddy, kyleigh,doggy and banana. he rarely repeats us..im not to concerned DD was kinda the same way, she had an explosion of talking right before she turned 2.

February 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Connor isn't much of a talker either. He says ball and bob (as in Builder) but he does follow directions. He has always been a little late. He army crawled at about 9 months but didn't crawl until 11.5 months. He took his first steps on Jan 1st but didn't walk for several weeks after that.

I wouldn't worry too much!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
February 17th, 2009, 01:06 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Sounds like your doing a great job and that she will suddenly just surpise you with an out burst of vocal-ness!

February 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
.Shelly.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to .Shelly.
Don't worry!! She'll be talking your ears off before you know it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search