the economy

Forum: 2007 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i was wondering, since we talk about everything else- how has the poor economy affected you?

for me, i was demoted (although because i'm on commission my pay has miraculously gone up) and dh's hours were cut from 40 to 32. but the biggest thing for me is i always feel afraid of the floor falling out below me and i'm always feeling uncertain about my future. i'd love to plan on having another baby within the next year or expanding our house but it feels so scary. i'm trying so hard to be positive and put everything in God's hands but it's difficult when everything- from the news to the chit chat at work- is all about how terrible things are.
February 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In order to not fire anyone else at Thomas' job (which is a subsidiary of a newspaper, and we all know paper newspapers are crumbling horribly right now), they decided to force everyone to take 5 days unpaid leave this year. Even salaried employees. So even though Thomas' contract claims he'll be making a certain amount a year- he won't.
it's cool that they're saving jobs, but it's hard to look at it that way when you know they're taking money out of your pocket. Especially when the place Thomas works is the ONLY part of the company actually making money. Everyone else is so far in the red it's unreal.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

February 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Totally Fierce Mommy
Thank the Lord it hasn't affected us. I am VERY grateful for this. I'm scared... scared for children's future, my future. I don't know. Derek's 'secure' job really isn't secure anymore. He works at a site that disassembles nuclear bombs and puts them back together... it's the only site in the US that does this, so they were thought to have a secure job. I'd love to say I'm not worried, but you can never be sure.
February 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
In order to not fire anyone else at Thomas' job (which is a subsidiary of a newspaper, and we all know paper newspapers are crumbling horribly right now), they decided to force everyone to take 5 days unpaid leave this year. Even salaried employees. So even though Thomas' contract claims he'll be making a certain amount a year- he won't.
it's cool that they're saving jobs, but it's hard to look at it that way when you know they're taking money out of your pocket. Especially when the place Thomas works is the ONLY part of the company actually making money. Everyone else is so far in the red it's unreal.[/b]
yeah dh's boss said his hours were being cut from 40 to 32 in an effort to save the jobs of 2 people. i guess it was either lay off two people or cut everyone's hours. it just sucks.
February 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
StarrMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Luckily the economy hasn't really affected us too much (yet), but that's not saying it can't. The worst thing is that since house prices have dropped so much there is no way we could sell our house. Our mortgage is about $20,000 over what we would probably get for it now (if we could even find a buyer at all). It really sucks, too, because I would love to take advantage of the lower home prices and get a 3 bedroom (ours is only 2 BR)
February 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
The economy hasn't affected us yet.. I'm not worried about my job, since I work in the medical field. But my DH is another matter.. He works in the IT department and they've laid off a few people in his department and ALOT of people throughout the company.. We don't worry about it to much, we just put it in God's hands and I know He will take care of us..

I am afraid about Adriana's future.. The spending bill or so called stimulus bill is going to put a BIG debt on our children and their children. I can't believe what we are doing and I hope the gov't wakes up.. Just look at what's happening in California.. That's just a sign on what's to come..

February 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM
mommyreb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyreb
As of right now we haven't been too affected. We are military so dh's job is pretty darn secure. We do get COLA which is a cost of living allowance since we live in Spain and that amount has gone down but that goes up and down depending on a lot of factors.

Thanks for my siggy Steph2007!

February 17th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH is in the army so his job is secure. But I see how it affects my family members and friends and it is so so sad. I am so thankful for being a military family at this hard time. I would say that is the number one plus of being military. Job security, second being wonderful insurance.

February 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM
MLBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SO just got transferred to a different store where he used to be getting 35 hours a week, now he's getting 40+ hours a week.

My Pell grant is available for more money and over the summer as well.

But it hasn't really affected us.

http://www.MLBelasco.etsy.com
February 17th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It really hasn't affected us I don't think. We still go out to eat almost every night of the week & I still buy tons of stuff that I COULD live without!! I work for my dad & DH works for the railroad so his job is "hopefully" doing fine. I DO worry about the future with Austin though.
And this morning on the radio they were talking about how poor the economy is & here I am thinking about spening $3000 on a new wedding ring this year. And YES, I am for sure 100% buying the ring in November for our anniversary, bad economy or not!

Thanks BAM for the awesome siggy!!
February 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Angelica81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Angelica81
Quote:
i was wondering, since we talk about everything else- how has the poor economy affected you?[/b]
For whatever reason, it has only affected us positively SO far *knock on wood*.

My biggest concern about the economy was how difficult it would be to sell our home since no one seems to be buying right now - well as of this coming Friday as long as nothing falls through it will officially be sold. When the economy was booming there was no way we could afford a real house but it's all within our reach now. I work on commission and my job usually relies heavily on the market (if people don't have money they aren't travelling). But again for whatever reason we haven't really slowed down and I'm having my busiest season since I've been in the travel industry. SO works for a propane company and has been getting crazy amounts of overtime.

When I watch the news it actually scares me to see how bad things are because I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before it will hit us too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search