Reindeer Crunch...YUMMY! Step by Step recipe with photos!

Forum: 2007 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I tried a recipe today that was posted the other day on another board. It looked so easy. The thought of the saltines creeped me out a bit but I was SOOO wrong!!

It was awesome! Easy! I can't boil water half the time and I was able to do this!

I did change the name for my kids. Camden asked what it was called and I said it didn't have a name so he suggested Reindeer Crunch. I thought it was cute compared to the alternative "Christmas Crack" although I can see why it's called that! When I was putting them in the bowl, I was like 'one for the bowl, one for me, one for the bowl, one for me'....

I'm going to give them out as teacher gifts along with a small giftcard to Tim Hortons.

Reindeer Crunch
1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 package chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines.

Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil (please don't mind my pans, old)

Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk.

Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible.

Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking (MINE DIDN'T SHIFT). Push them back into order with a fork or knife.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly.

If desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden. Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in containers.

Some variations-I've used Semi Sweet with M&M candies, I've used chocolate and mint chips and also white chocolate. YUM!! These below are for teacher gifts.

Recipe found here

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!

Last edited by 2bluesandapink; November 16th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
December 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
thank you for sharing brandy!
December 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like a strange recipe but looks so good. I think I might try that. We made reindeer poop tonight (or snowman poop) It's really addictive
December 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried this from when you posted the Craftster link the other day... turned out sooooo yummy!!! But the very bottom was still chewy, not crunchy... I've seen a few recipes that call for half white sugar and half brown, maybe that would make it harder?

Anyway, yours looks great!!! Much prettier than mine, I didn't even chop my pecans, just crumbled them and randomly dropped them all over, lol!

December 8th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Christina A~ View Post
I tried this from when you posted the Craftster link the other day... turned out sooooo yummy!!! But the very bottom was still chewy, not crunchy... I've seen a few recipes that call for half white sugar and half brown, maybe that would make it harder?

Anyway, yours looks great!!! Much prettier than mine, I didn't even chop my pecans, just crumbled them and randomly dropped them all over, lol!
The bottom of mine was very hard, not chewy at all. Did you make sure to use real butter? I'm not sure why yours turned out chewy

I bought the pecans chopped in the bag!

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
December 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow...brandy..it looks really yummy..now i feel like giving it a try..!!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

December 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
bought the stuff to make it last night!
December 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made it the othe day and it is very addictive!
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I made it again last night, i think I figured out why mine was chewy... I used a pan that was too small, so it ended up really think! Last night, I did it on a bigger cookie tray, so it was much thinner, and it got crunchy! Yep, I used real butter, and just brown sugar, no white. I think I may also not have boiled the butter/sugar for the full three minutes, so I made sure I did that this time, and it worked out great!

I brought it to work - everyone wanted the recipe!

December 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Oh good!! I'm going to be making it next week for Teacher presents!!!

December 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Mom2MacyandDru's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay mine was chewy too! It had a good taste and I used a large cookie sheet so I dont know why it was chewy but it was. I guess I need to try again. I am just not a good baker!

December 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I think it makes a difference to ensure that you boil the butter/sugar for the full three minutes ... I think the first time I didn't do that maybe, like I counted the three minutes from when it wasn't at a full boil? My third try came out super crispy!

On a side note, I used parchment paper the last two times, and it was SO much easier to peel off than the tinfoil.

Brandy, hope you don't mind, I'm going to post a link to this thread in my DDC, I think this recipe is just SO good, and your pics are perfect to show the steps.

December 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
momma23girls's Avatar and one little boy!!
That looks yummy and I love the pics in the directions. Thank you. I am going to make it for a playdate I have coming up this week.
December 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Quote:
I think it makes a difference to ensure that you boil the butter/sugar for the full three minutes ... I think the first time I didn't do that maybe, like I counted the three minutes from when it wasn't at a full boil? My third try came out super crispy!

On a side note, I used parchment paper the last two times, and it was SO much easier to peel off than the tinfoil.

Brandy, hope you don't mind, I'm going to post a link to this thread in my DDC, I think this recipe is just SO good, and your pics are perfect to show the steps.
I always boil for 3 minutes exactly from when it is rapidly boiling...it really does make a difference.

Go ahead and post away!!!

We've made this 4 times so far. I had some for our party yesterday and then I made a bunch and put them into little christmas tins that I got from Michaels for .66. I'm using them for teacher gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_ann View Post
That sounds like a strange recipe but looks so good. I think I might try that. We made reindeer poop tonight (or snowman poop) It's really addictive
What is the recipe for Reindeer poop??

Last edited by 2bluesandapink; December 14th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.
December 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i still haven't made it yet. we are doing christmas on saturday with dh's mom...i'm trying to wait til the last possible minute to make it so i don't eat it all before we go up to their house LOL!!

but yeah, i would suggest making sure you cook it the full time. when you make candy like pralines, or caramel for caramel corn, if you don't cook it long enough it doesn't properly set. you can always do the hard ball/soft ball stage test if you're unsure.
December 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Brandy, the gals in my DDS were like "woooow, that looks goooodddddd"!!

December 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Brandy, the gals in my DDS were like "woooow, that looks goooodddddd"!!
Oh good!! I posted it on another board, that is SUPER busy and that thread was read 3117 times and was posted to 161 times!!! I'm so glad to share this with everyone!!

December 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
dansgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh, looks good, I'm going to make it too!!
December 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i am making it right now, it's in the oven! doing some regular chocolate, and some dark chocolate. hope it turns out good!

i put pecans and also, some heath baking bits!

Last edited by eli's momma; December 17th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
December 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Veteran
Popping in from June 07 PR...I saw your post a couple of weeks ago, and decided to try this (I am NOT a baker, and this looked easy!). I brought it to work on Thurs. and everyone LOVED it!!! Thanks for the step by step pictures...they helped me alot, lol!

My Beautiful Babies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search