"W" sitting

Forum: 2007 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
megpie
Do any of your kids do the "W" sitting?.....where they sit on the floor with their legs bent in the shape of a "W"?

I had Lucas' school conference today and his teacher told me that he does the "W" sitting. (i had never heard of this before). She told me there's been many studies on this type of sitting and there's a correlation with poor writing skills. Who would have thought???

She also said that "W" sitting compromises knee and hip joint positioning and inhibits trunk stability needed for sitting and developing proficient hand skills.

I found a blog that shows pix of the W-sitting:
This Mom's Many Hats: W-sitting

Last edited by megpie; October 27th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
November 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
BrookeN's Avatar Carter and Lena's Mama
Interesting! Never heard of it! Carter usually sits Indian style or with his legs straight out in front of him.

November 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No way!!! I would have never thought that it actually meant something, just the way a kid sits!!! Weird!! I haven't noticed Tannen sitting like that!

November 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Mom2MacyandDru's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
crazy I dont know how much I believe that but....who knows! I wouldnt be worried about it!

November 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
dianaw's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think all my kids have done that at one time or another!!! Kaylee, my oldest, is a writing maniac!! I personally think it is a natural thing and I would not be concerned!!
November 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
megpie
I was reading more about it and I guess a lot of older ppl that sat like that when they are younger now have joint/hip issues.

I'm defintely working on getting him NOT to sit that way now. Better safe than sorry.
November 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
jhett ONLY sits that way! he started out sitting with his feet tucked under his butt, but now they're in the W shape like that! eli doesn't do, but jhett always does. how weird!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search