1st day of school...

Forum: 2007 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sad, I know, but school is getting close...

What day does your school start?

Planning to do anything special for their 1st day? (Pictures, Special Outfit, etc?)

Will they go all day or half days?
Ride the bus or car driven?

July 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Ben doesn't start until September 7th so we have quite a while yet.

I'll make him a special breakfast that morning.

He will go all day and he will be a walker. On the first day we'll probably all get up and walk him to school. Jill and I will walk up every day and walk him home. After the first day or two, Jeremy will drop him off at school most days on his way to work.

July 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What day does your school start? August 29th

Planning to do anything special for their 1st day? (Pictures, Special Outfit, etc?) Yes! Pictures, outfit, good breakfast, lots of tears. LOL I'll get her a small present for when she gets home too, I did with Kayla as well.

Will they go all day or half days? All day.

Ride the bus or car driven? The bus, thankfully the bus stop is right next door. When Kayla started I had to drive her and it took FOREVER to wait in the drop off/pick up lines. Then when she started riding the bus, it was at the corner and that's a 1/4 mile and it SUCKED in the rain or winter, especially since I had Emily at home and it was ALWAYS during her naptime.
So this year, I'm so excited it's right in front of the neighbors house!
I will be driving her the first day, I think. I don't think I can force myself to let her ride the bus and not walk her to her classroom.

July 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What day does your school start? Aug 20th...1 month away!

Planning to do anything special for their 1st day? (Pictures, Special Outfit, etc?) I always do pictures so we will do that. No certain outfit picked out, not yet anyway. I'm thinking about taking them out for a treat after I pick them up that day, like out for ice cream or something.

Will they go all day or half days? All day, but they can leave after lunch without it counting against them, so some half days are an option in Kindergarten, they do that here for kids that need adjustment and might not make it through a full day.
Ride the bus or car driven? Car driven for now. I had Mikaela on the bus for the first few months of Kindergarten and I hated that all grades rode the bus together...5 year olds sitting with high schoolers, no thanks! They learn too much on the bus!! And then Mikaela started dealing with bullys on the bus and begged to be car driven, so I took her off of the bus and I've been driving her ever since. The bus would be a little easier but I think we will stick with driving for now. It's not that far anyway.

July 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM
High schoolers on the same bus?? That's odd! Here the schools start at different times so the bus makes different runs. Kayla starts earlier than Emily. High schoolers start even earlier.

July 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep. Its based on routes here, so who ever lives on that bus route rides that bus, no matter what grade. There are several buses that are spread out around each county school district. The city schools here don't have buses at all, so they have no choice but to be car riders!

July 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM
That would bother me too Melissa. It's the same here as with Paula. The schools start at different times so you'd never have a middle school or high school kid on the bus with younger kids.

Our schools are actually really broken up. They go to one school for PreK-K, another one for 1-3, another for 4-5, middle school for 6-8 and then the high school. It's kind of annoying but in some ways it's nice because you don't have much older kids in with the younger ones.

Ben has to walk this year but for 1st-3rd grade he'll ride the bus because that school is farther away. Then if we're still in the same location he'll be a walker for the rest of the years after that.

July 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah our school has a "primary" school for K-2nd and then a few blocks away 3rd-12th is all on that one campus. But the buses run to both. So Mikaela moves up to the "big school" this year.

July 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM
3rd - 12th?? That's just absurd! Ours is K-4 and then 5th-8th and then 9th-12.

July 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have school on his first day I'll either be able to drop off or pick up. Canada sucks for transporting kids. In major area no school busses you pay for public transit and transport them yourselves. But since I'll be working and doing school they will go to the daycare that is right across from the school and they will do pick up and drop off.

July 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wow 3-12th! That's a big age range. Is the school huge?

July 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's somewhat separated into Elementary (3-5), Middle(6-8) and High School(9-12), it's just all on one property, yes it's a decent size school. I mean she won't have to walk the halls with the high schoolers, they are in separate buildings.

July 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Oh well that's good!

August 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
What day does your school start? August 22, so just over a week left

Planning to do anything special for their 1st day? (Pictures, Special Outfit, etc?) Yes, pictures I hope, it depends on when my orientation for work is, it is on the 22nd, I just don't know the time. He wears a uniform, so no special outfit.

Will they go all day or half days? All day at this point, I have a half day option, but I don't want to go to the school that many times in a day cuz Courtney's still full day either way.

Ride the bus or car driven? Car driven

August 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Sept 5th is the first day here, no idea if its full or half day yet since we are moving to a whole different town/district. Will do pictures and she will take the bus.
August 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
What day does your school start? Sept 7 is meet the teacher day and school starts officially Sept 11.

Planning to do anything special for their 1st day? (Pictures, Special Outfit, etc?) Pictures, special breakfast, etc.

Will they go all day or half days? We have the option to do either so I'll start him with half days and then as the year progresses I'll move him to full days.
Ride the bus or car driven? I'll drive him for the first few days and then he'll ride the bus.
August 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
school starts back up 5th september, shes in full days. They don't do transport here you have to get them to school on your own.

The schools are divided like this:

Lower school are reception - yr 6 (4yrs - 11yrs)
Higher school yr 7 - yr 11 (12yrs - 16yrs)

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (32)
together for 11 years married for 5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search